1948 Chevrolet Brochure (14) (and Final)

Old January 5th 08, 11:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Jeff G

Default 1948 Chevrolet Brochure (14) (and Final)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1948 Chevrolet (14).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	113540
Old January 6th 08, 01:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
vintage

Another great scan Jeff. I will post it to the website as well....
Welcome back.

Fred

Old January 6th 08, 01:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
MagisterMax

Thanks for the neat brochure, Jeff. Is it my imagination or did the 48 look
more luxurious and better trimmed than the all new 49?

Max

Old January 7th 08, 03:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Jeff G

Thanks to all of you who have made comments.

Max, I'm not sure what you meant by the '48 Chevy being better trimmed, etc.
than the all new '49, as I thought the '49 was a mighty nice-looking car. I
am remembering that the '47 and '48's no longer had the long chrome strip
just under the windows as did the '46. But in '49 they brought back the
long chrome strip, but it was now lower on the car.

I do remember that sometime about 1947 (I think), there was a steel
shortage, and they may have been trying to save by using less chrome. Some
of the manufacturers even delivered cars with wooden bumpers. This was a
temporary measure, as after a few months the owners could get the temporary
bumpers replaced with chrome (steel) ones. Is anybody else old enough to
remember those wooden parts? I can't find anything in the literature about
it. Jeff

Old January 7th 08, 04:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
MagisterMax

Hi Jeff, When I look at the interior trim (Brochure (10)) and see the faux
wood appliqués around all of the windows and even on the back of the front
seat it seems to me that there is still a kind of old fashioned luxury that
they're trying to bring down into the low priced field. By 1949 the car was
much more modern and arguably better but I wonder. The engine was the same
as were the suspension, chassis, transmissions, and brakes so the only real
advance for 1949 was in styling. And GM did a great job there, making the
Chevrolet look like it was somehow related to the Cadillac. But for me, the
interiors just didn't compare to those of the previous three years.

Max

"Jeff G" > wrote in message
> Thanks to all of you who have made comments.
>
> Max, I'm not sure what you meant by the '48 Chevy being better trimmed,
> etc.
> than the all new '49, as I thought the '49 was a mighty nice-looking car.
> am remembering that the '47 and '48's no longer had the long chrome strip
> just under the windows as did the '46. But in '49 they brought back the
> long chrome strip, but it was now lower on the car.
>
> I do remember that sometime about 1947 (I think), there was a steel
> shortage, and they may have been trying to save by using less chrome.
> Some
> of the manufacturers even delivered cars with wooden bumpers. This was a
> temporary measure, as after a few months the owners could get the
> temporary
> bumpers replaced with chrome (steel) ones. Is anybody else old enough to
> remember those wooden parts? I can't find anything in the literature
> about
> it. Jeff
>

> "MagisterMax" > wrote in message
>> Thanks for the neat brochure, Jeff. Is it my imagination or did the 48
>> look more luxurious and better trimmed than the all new 49?
>>
>> Max
>>
>> "Jeff G" > wrote in message

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1947 Chevrolet Fleetmaster-e.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	113595  Click image for larger version

Name:	1948 Chevrolet conv dash=rich=.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	113596  Click image for larger version

Name:	1948 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan Dash Panel & Interior=Thomas=.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	113597
Old January 7th 08, 05:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Jeff G

Those are good pictures. I see what you mean. I didn't know but what you
were talking about the exterior - not the interior. I'll tell you one
thing - the cars in those days sure had more room between the seats - even
on the low- priced cars. Jeff

Old January 7th 08, 05:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
MagisterMax

Yes, they were made for real people and provided rear seat legroom way
beyond what we do nowadays. The seats were higher and so were the roofs, of
course. The only way to get close to this nowadays is to buy an SUV or a
minivan and I'm sure that most of the sales of those vehicles come from the
sheer practicality of the vehicles. Back in 1948, they were all practical,
even the convertibles and coupes, made to fit real people...with legs.

Max