Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

Old January 8th 18, 08:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Mad Roger

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 13:45:36 -0500,
Clare Snyder wrote:

> It generally unhooks from the activbation lever connected to the
> brake shoes. On soime cars the lever unhooks easily from the shoe and
> does not NEED to be disconnected from the cable
>
> Again - I would ADVISE you (the OP) to have a mechanic properly
> repair the brakes.

This net picture seems to show the rear drum brake setup reasonably well.
https://s13.postimg.org/hy7ga57c7/Rear_Brakes_1.jpg

I wonder why they put drum brakes in this vehicle when most are disc?
Old January 8th 18, 08:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Mad Roger

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 13:48:33 -0500,
Clare Snyder wrote:

> That is the SERVICE BRAKE adjustment - the parking brake adjustment
> is separate - on the cable - and on the VAST majority of vehicles on
> the road today the parking brake is totally self adjusting, as is the
> service brake. Different schemes are used on different vehicles and
> understanding how it is supposed to work is CRUCIAL to doing a safe
> and effective repair.

I see your distinction between the service brake and parking brakes!

This picture from the net seems to show them both:
https://s13.postimg.org/6n4sla81j/Rear_Brakes_2.jpg
Old January 8th 18, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 1:11:54 PM UTC-6, Mad Roger wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 13:48:33 -0500,
> Clare Snyder wrote:
>
> > That is the SERVICE BRAKE adjustment - the parking brake adjustment
> > is separate - on the cable - and on the VAST majority of vehicles on
> > the road today the parking brake is totally self adjusting, as is the
> > service brake. Different schemes are used on different vehicles and
> > understanding how it is supposed to work is CRUCIAL to doing a safe
> > and effective repair.

> I see your distinction between the service brake and parking brakes!
>
> This picture from the net seems to show them both:
> https://s13.postimg.org/6n4sla81j/Rear_Brakes_2.jpg

I once owned a 1950 Ford car. One day when I was driving and one of the right front wheel brake shoes came loose. That caused the car to make a sharp right hand swerve to the right, RIGHT NOW! Good idea is to check the brakes and brake fluid once in a while. Sometimes it is more important to STOP than keep on going.
Old January 8th 18, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 9:10:54 AM UTC-10, Mad Roger wrote:

> This net picture seems to show the rear drum brake setup reasonably well.
> https://s13.postimg.org/hy7ga57c7/Rear_Brakes_1.jpg
>
> I wonder why they put drum brakes in this vehicle when most are disc?

Drum brakes in the rear work perfectly fine for most vehicles because most of the braking is done with the front brakes. The reason 4 wheel disks are popular are mostly because people want it because it sounds cool. The problem with disk brakes is that it's less effective as parking brakes. Some rear disk brake systems will have an integrated brake drum and separate mechanical drum brake system to use as a parking brake.

You should know that the starwheel adjuster will have left and right parts that are not interchangeable. One side will have a right handed thread.

To set the initial clearance, start with the adjuster completely in, then turn it out a couple of turns. If the drum slips on easily, turn the wheel out more turns until you feel some resistance. Once you get the drum on, step on the brake to center the shoes. You might then have to adjust the clearance some more. Set the shoe clearance until you hear some light brushing when turning the drum.
Old January 8th 18, 10:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tekkie®

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

> On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 07:03:33 -0500, Meanie > wrote:
>

> >> Also, only one shoe is worn, and it's the front shoe, and it's been on
> >> there for 175K miles, but I wonder if the shoes can be switched, so that
> >> the front shoe is in the rear and the rear shoe is in the front, since they
> >> wore so unevenly (sort of like rotating tires).
> >>

> >Much depends on the vehicle. Many shoes are identical and it doesn't
> >matter if they are placed in front or rear.

> Define "many"
>
> Only vehicles with "twin leading shoe" brakes use the same shoe front
> and back - and I'm not aware of ANY vehicle built with twin leading
> shoe brakes since the early seventies - and then only British
> vehicles. The leading and trailing shoe are generally of different
> lengths as well as often different friction materials.
>
> > Others are specific and
> >require proper position and seating. In your case, the shoes appear to
> >be the same but that wear is something I wouldn't simply "rotate" with
> >the other side. One side wearing more than the other is not normal and
> >should be checked, repaired/replaced then install new shoes with the
> >proper even thickness.

> Actually it IS common - and considered normal, for the "leading shoe"
> to wear differently than the "trailing shoe" on a servo type (self
> energizing) brake system - which virtually all recent (modern) drum
> brake systems are. the leading shoe contacts the drum, and the drag
> (friction) on that shoe rotates the shoe through the linkage between
> shoes, forcing the trailing shoe more firmly in contact with the drum.
> This enhances the brake action beyond what would be possible strictly
> by the hydraulic force from the wheel cyls.
> >
> >> But mainly I'm not sure what the procedure is for the parking brake cable.
> >> Can you advise?
> >>

> It generally unhooks from the activbation lever connected to the
> brake shoes. On soime cars the lever unhooks easily from the shoe and
> does not NEED to be disconnected from the cable
>
> Again - I would ADVISE you (the OP) to have a mechanic properly
> repair the brakes.

Clare, prepare for the onslaught...

--
Tekkie
Old January 8th 18, 10:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tekkie®

Mad Roger posted for all of us...

> On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 13:45:36 -0500,
> Clare Snyder wrote:
>
> > It generally unhooks from the activbation lever connected to the
> > brake shoes. On soime cars the lever unhooks easily from the shoe and
> > does not NEED to be disconnected from the cable
> >
> > Again - I would ADVISE you (the OP) to have a mechanic properly
> > repair the brakes.

> This net picture seems to show the rear drum brake setup reasonably well.
> https://s13.postimg.org/hy7ga57c7/Rear_Brakes_1.jpg
>
> I wonder why they put drum brakes in this vehicle when most are disc?

Money, probably existing design...

--
Tekkie
Old January 8th 18, 10:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tekkie®

Mad Roger posted for all of us...

> That's why I'm doing my homework before tackling the job, which is why I
> ask you for advice.

No mad man you have not researched anything, you ask everybody and argue and
then criticize. If you HAD researched you would know all about the cables,
shoes and adjusters. You are too busy taking pix and asking questions. 1)
Take pix of brake assy after pulling drum. Go to NAPA and ask for a brake
kit and linings and cylinders because yours will leak after you push the
seals back or rebuild the cylinders. Measure the drums as they may be shot
after this debacle.

--
Tekkie
Old January 8th 18, 11:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Clare Snyder

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 19:10:52 -0000 (UTC), Mad Roger
> wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 13:45:36 -0500,
> Clare Snyder wrote:
>
>> It generally unhooks from the activbation lever connected to the
>> brake shoes. On soime cars the lever unhooks easily from the shoe and
>> does not NEED to be disconnected from the cable
>>
>> Again - I would ADVISE you (the OP) to have a mechanic properly
>> repair the brakes.

>This net picture seems to show the rear drum brake setup reasonably well.
>https://s13.postimg.org/hy7ga57c7/Rear_Brakes_1.jpg
>
>I wonder why they put drum brakes in this vehicle when most are disc?

Because drum brakes are standard equipment on all but the high trim
models
Old January 8th 18, 11:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Clare Snyder

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 16:19:51 -0500, Tekkie® > wrote:

>Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

>> >Much depends on the vehicle. Many shoes are identical and it doesn't
>> >matter if they are placed in front or rear.

>> Define "many"
>>
>> Only vehicles with "twin leading shoe" brakes use the same shoe front
>> and back - and I'm not aware of ANY vehicle built with twin leading
>> shoe brakes since the early seventies - and then only British
>> vehicles. The leading and trailing shoe are generally of different
>> lengths as well as often different friction materials.
>>
>> > Others are specific and
>> >require proper position and seating. In your case, the shoes appear to
>> >be the same but that wear is something I wouldn't simply "rotate" with
>> >the other side. One side wearing more than the other is not normal and
>> >should be checked, repaired/replaced then install new shoes with the
>> >proper even thickness.

>> Actually it IS common - and considered normal, for the "leading shoe"
>> to wear differently than the "trailing shoe" on a servo type (self
>> energizing) brake system - which virtually all recent (modern) drum
>> brake systems are. the leading shoe contacts the drum, and the drag
>> (friction) on that shoe rotates the shoe through the linkage between
>> shoes, forcing the trailing shoe more firmly in contact with the drum.
>> This enhances the brake action beyond what would be possible strictly
>> by the hydraulic force from the wheel cyls.

>> It generally unhooks from the activbation lever connected to the
>> brake shoes. On soime cars the lever unhooks easily from the shoe and
>> does not NEED to be disconnected from the cable
>>
>> Again - I would ADVISE you (the OP) to have a mechanic properly
>> repair the brakes.

>Clare, prepare for the onslaught...

Just like a boyscout.
Old January 8th 18, 11:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Clare Snyder

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 19:11:52 -0000 (UTC), Mad Roger
> wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 13:48:33 -0500,
> Clare Snyder wrote:
>
>> That is the SERVICE BRAKE adjustment - the parking brake adjustment
>> is separate - on the cable - and on the VAST majority of vehicles on
>> the road today the parking brake is totally self adjusting, as is the
>> service brake. Different schemes are used on different vehicles and
>> understanding how it is supposed to work is CRUCIAL to doing a safe
>> and effective repair.

>I see your distinction between the service brake and parking brakes!
>
>This picture from the net seems to show them both:
>https://s13.postimg.org/6n4sla81j/Rear_Brakes_2.jpg

Doesn't show the handbrake (e-brake) adjuster - which is on the
cable or part of the pedal/handle.