What's wrong with my pony ??

Old June 21st 05, 02:00 AM
Armon Tanzerian

Default What's wrong with my pony ??

So, the ole' nag has started dying for NO REASON ! which is real
entertaining when the power steering goes out in a turn

What happens is that it just DIES for no reason, like you turned off the key
! ! .. It will start back up after it sets a minute. hasn't left me
stranded yet I DEFINITELY get the impression it's electrical, but it
doesn't stay "broken" long enough for me to diagnose it.

Oh, BTW it has a new fuel filter, cap and rotor. It's a 94 5.0.

any suggestions other than just swapping out parts till it goes away ?

Thanks

Old June 21st 05, 02:15 AM
Spike

Had two different problems cause similar reaction in my TransAM. The
first turned out to be the catalytic converters went which messed with
a sensor.

The second was the alternator which wasn't providing enough charge to
keep the battery from slowly dropping until it got so low that it
would start after sitting for a while (like overnight), but when I got
to the store, bank, or wherever, it wouldn't restart. It started doing
this intermittently at first, but got progressively worse. I replaced
the alternator and put the battery on charge overnight. After that no
more problems.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:00:07 -0700, "Armon Tanzerian"
> wrote:

>So, the ole' nag has started dying for NO REASON ! which is real
>entertaining when the power steering goes out in a turn
>
>What happens is that it just DIES for no reason, like you turned off the key
>! ! .. It will start back up after it sets a minute. hasn't left me
>stranded yet I DEFINITELY get the impression it's electrical, but it
>doesn't stay "broken" long enough for me to diagnose it.
>
>Oh, BTW it has a new fuel filter, cap and rotor. It's a 94 5.0.
>
>any suggestions other than just swapping out parts till it goes away ?
>
>Thanks

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old June 21st 05, 02:16 AM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:00:07 -0700, "Armon Tanzerian"
> wrote:

>So, the ole' nag has started dying for NO REASON ! which is real
>entertaining when the power steering goes out in a turn
>
>What happens is that it just DIES for no reason, like you turned off the key
>! ! .. It will start back up after it sets a minute. hasn't left me
>stranded yet I DEFINITELY get the impression it's electrical, but it
>doesn't stay "broken" long enough for me to diagnose it.
>
>Oh, BTW it has a new fuel filter, cap and rotor. It's a 94 5.0.
>
>any suggestions other than just swapping out parts till it goes away ?
>
>Thanks

do a self test ya retard

Old June 21st 05, 03:07 AM
JC

Armon Tanzerian wrote:

> So, the ole' nag has started dying for NO REASON ! which is real
> entertaining when the power steering goes out in a turn
>
> What happens is that it just DIES for no reason, like you turned off the key
> ! ! .. It will start back up after it sets a minute. hasn't left me
> stranded yet I DEFINITELY get the impression it's electrical, but it
> doesn't stay "broken" long enough for me to diagnose it.
>
> Oh, BTW it has a new fuel filter, cap and rotor. It's a 94 5.0.
>
> any suggestions other than just swapping out parts till it goes away ?
>
> Thanks

Does it only happen in a turn? Does it only happen on a rigth turn? Does
it happen when your fuel level is below 1/4 tank?

Guess why I am asking LOL.

If anyone has a clue, I would be very happy to have a direction for
looking for a cause.

JC

91 5.0
Old June 21st 05, 03:24 AM
Backyard Mechanic

when this happens and you crank it, and while it still wont start, do you
see the tach registering?

I suggest you start it in the driveway and do a "tug test" to see if
there's a bad harness connection. Be firm but gentle

Old June 21st 05, 04:00 AM
Armon Tanzerian

No.. so far it's happened 4 times.. always going STRAIGHT.

I think the "tug test" has merit. but I've done some tugging with no obvious
culprits so far.

if it would JUST FAIL and stay failed, I could troubleshoot it! ! but just
about the time I start to look, it starts right up ! ! !

.. .

Old June 21st 05, 04:44 AM
Mark C.

That's what she said.

--
Mark
--

58...

Old June 21st 05, 05:15 AM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:00:07 -0700, "Armon Tanzerian"
> wrote:

>So, the ole' nag has started dying for NO REASON ! which is real
>entertaining when the power steering goes out in a turn
>
>What happens is that it just DIES for no reason, like you turned off the key
>! ! .. It will start back up after it sets a minute. hasn't left me
>stranded yet I DEFINITELY get the impression it's electrical, but it
>doesn't stay "broken" long enough for me to diagnose it.
>
>Oh, BTW it has a new fuel filter, cap and rotor. It's a 94 5.0.
>
>any suggestions other than just swapping out parts till it goes away ?
>
>Thanks

suspect ignition module

Old June 21st 05, 09:47 AM
ironrod

I've had both a bad ignition module & faulty fuel pump give me those very
same indications

..

Old June 21st 05, 11:55 AM
Backyard Mechanic

"ironrod" > wrote in newsuQte.998564$w62.482369
@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> I've had both a bad ignition module & faulty fuel pump give me those very
> same indications

Which is why one should pay attention to the tach when a car wont start...
to put it plain and simple... if the tach needle is laying on the peg as
you crank, there's no signal to the coil.

Needle should bounce as you turn ign on, then again as you crank.

no bounce on ign on, means bad coil or no power to it

94 Front Pony removal 4-2LGW Ford Mustang 3 March 21st 05 03:47 AM
whats wrong? gabriel Honda 7 February 11th 05 04:39 PM
VW Pony Car....Warning No Political Content Bill Berckman VW air cooled 1 October 22nd 04 12:29 PM
Nobody knows what is wrong with my 99 Dodge Avenger v6 LadyGelzer04 Dodge 14 May 22nd 04 04:13 AM