1969 Mustang Shelby GT500-red--01=mx-.jpg (1/1) 166020 bytes

Old March 25th 08, 02:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers

Default 1969 Mustang Shelby GT500-red--01=mx-.jpg (1/1) 166020 bytes

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Mustang Shelby GT500-red--01=mx-.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	128231
Old March 25th 08, 11:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
Retired VIP[_2_]

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 01:25:41 GMT, Max
wrote:

You know Max, it's a damn shame these things had such poor weight
distribution. I think they had something like 70% front / 30% rear.
They'd go like hell in a streaght line but wouldn't go around a corner
at speed, just plow like a John Deer.

Jack
Old March 26th 08, 01:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
MagisterMax

I was a poor beginning teacher driving a VW beetle when the Mustang arrived
and I remember going in for a test drive in one of the very first hardtops
in our part of the country. I couldn't believe the acceleration and
immediately had visions of trying to keep the car on the road during the
winter months. I liked the look of the car but always saw it as a Falcon
with a fancier body and no rear seat room. With 4 passengers the thing sat
on its bump stops. So when the time came for me to replace the VW I decided
against a Mustang and a Camaro too and got a Volvo 122S with wonderful
seats, disc brakes, and total reliability and lots of comfort for 4 people
and their luggage.

max

Old March 26th 08, 03:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
Retired VIP[_2_]

My first car was a '59 Ford Custom 300. When I got ready to trade it
off in '65 or '66, I test drove a Mustang. The back end bounced and
jumped around like it was on a trampoline. I ended up buying a '64
Covair Monza. Better handling but the same problem reversed, it had
around 30% on the front and 70% in the rear. I put it in a ditch one
rainy night, backasswards. No body hurt, just my pride.

Jack

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:58:56 GMT, "MagisterMax"
> wrote:

>I was a poor beginning teacher driving a VW beetle when the Mustang arrived
>and I remember going in for a test drive in one of the very first hardtops
>in our part of the country. I couldn't believe the acceleration and
>immediately had visions of trying to keep the car on the road during the
>winter months. I liked the look of the car but always saw it as a Falcon
>with a fancier body and no rear seat room. With 4 passengers the thing sat
>on its bump stops. So when the time came for me to replace the VW I decided
>against a Mustang and a Camaro too and got a Volvo 122S with wonderful
>seats, disc brakes, and total reliability and lots of comfort for 4 people
>and their luggage.
>
>max

.. .

Old March 26th 08, 05:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
MagisterMax

Hey Jack, I really liked the Monza and considered buying one myself except
for one thing: after 4 years with a VW I wanted a car with a real heater and
no more air cooling stuff with little puffs of warm air now and then. But
just like my VW those Corvairs were tail heavy. When one of those rear
wheels tucked under it was game over.

Max

"Retired VIP" > wrote in message
> My first car was a '59 Ford Custom 300. When I got ready to trade it
> off in '65 or '66, I test drove a Mustang. The back end bounced and
> jumped around like it was on a trampoline. I ended up buying a '64
> Covair Monza. Better handling but the same problem reversed, it had
> around 30% on the front and 70% in the rear. I put it in a ditch one
> rainy night, backasswards. No body hurt, just my pride.
>
> Jack
>
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:58:56 GMT, "MagisterMax"
> > wrote:
>
>>I was a poor beginning teacher driving a VW beetle when the Mustang
>>arrived
>>and I remember going in for a test drive in one of the very first hardtops
>>in our part of the country. I couldn't believe the acceleration and
>>immediately had visions of trying to keep the car on the road during the
>>winter months. I liked the look of the car but always saw it as a Falcon
>>with a fancier body and no rear seat room. With 4 passengers the thing
>>sat
>>on its bump stops. So when the time came for me to replace the VW I
>>decided
>>against a Mustang and a Camaro too and got a Volvo 122S with wonderful
>>seats, disc brakes, and total reliability and lots of comfort for 4 people
>>and their luggage.
>>
>>max

. ..

Old March 27th 08, 10:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
Retired VIP[_2_]

My Monza was a '64 model. Chevy put a anti-sway type of bar between
the rear wheels, bolted to the differential for the 1964 model year.
That kept the rear wheels in the right place.

My Corvair had a great heater. It was hot air off the engine but it
was HOT and it started putting out heat in just a few minutes. My
main complaint with the heater was that you couldn't turn it off. Rain
storms in the summer would cause the passenger compartment to get
really hot when you turned on the windshield defroster.

Jack

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 04:06:06 GMT, "MagisterMax"