Ignition Switch

Old August 6th 07, 01:10 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Ignition Switch

I have a 76 that needs the ignition switch changed. I have the wheel
off, but can't figure out how to get the next piece off to get access
to the key clinder and switch. It looks like a flat plastic cover.
Thanks for your help
Mike

Old August 6th 07, 03:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

> wrote in message
ps.com...
>I have a 76 that needs the ignition switch changed. I have the wheel
> off, but can't figure out how to get the next piece off to get
> access
> to the key clinder and switch. It looks like a flat plastic cover.
> Thanks for your help
> Mike

Put your key in, turn it to accessory, push a small drill bit into the
hole in the face of the switch and depress the cylinder's lock while
turning the cylinder past accessory and pull it out. Insert new lock
with the new key in it turned to accessory and turn it to start, done.

Easy if you still have a working key and you have the switch that has
the hole that is not covered with a plastic shroud, otherwise all bets
are off.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old August 6th 07, 11:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .
> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>>I have a 76 that needs the ignition switch changed. I have
>>the wheel
>> off, but can't figure out how to get the next piece off
>> to get access
>> to the key clinder and switch. It looks like a flat
>> plastic cover.
>> Thanks for your help
>> Mike
>>

> Put your key in, turn it to accessory, push a small drill
> bit into the hole in the face of the switch and depress
> the cylinder's lock while turning the cylinder past
> accessory and pull it out. Insert new lock with the new
> key in it turned to accessory and turn it to start, done.
>
> Easy if you still have a working key and you have the
> switch that has the hole that is not covered with a
> plastic shroud, otherwise all bets are off.
>
> --
> Dad
> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
> 64 Red/red/white top/4spd

76 has a retainer type ign in the column.
Its not in the dash...

--
"Key"
=====

Old August 6th 07, 11:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

> wrote in message
ps.com...
>I have a 76 that needs the ignition switch changed. I have
>the wheel
> off, but can't figure out how to get the next piece off to
> get access
> to the key clinder and switch. It looks like a flat
> plastic cover.
> Thanks for your help
> Mike

you have to have a depressor to push the steering locking
plate down so you can remove the retainer ring that's
holding it in place.
if you don't have a compressor? you can use a couple if
hammer handles, place one at 9:00 o'clock and the other at
3:00 o'clock, place the other ends against you chest and
push inward to compress and hold the steering locking plate
while you remove the retainer ring. you can also have
someone help you hold the locking plate
down while you remove the retainer ring. note: you have to
walk the retainer ring up the steering post to remove it. a
couple of small flat-head screw drivers will help you
accomplish this.

after you have removed the ring and the steering locking
plate, look at you new ignition and you will see a back
spring loaded retainer near the rear of the ignition.
Picture where that will be when its installed. look at that
general area. you may have to take a flat screw-driver and
punch a hole through the pot-metal that is probably covering
up retainer that's holding the lock in place. you may or
many not have to remove the key-buzzer actuator if its in
the way? after you have installed your new ignition, reverse
the process.

another way is to get a body hammer and screw it into your
keyway at least an inch and slam the ignition out. this will
work because you have a retainer type ignition. this method
will not work on newer models as they have a screw that
holds the ignition in.

g'luck
--
"Key"
=====

Old August 7th 07, 03:46 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Big Al[_1_]

"'Key" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Dad" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > > wrote in message
> > ps.com...
> >>I have a 76 that needs the ignition switch changed. I have
> >>the wheel
> >> off, but can't figure out how to get the next piece off
> >> to get access
> >> to the key clinder and switch. It looks like a flat
> >> plastic cover.
> >> Thanks for your help
> >> Mike
> >>

> > Put your key in, turn it to accessory, push a small drill
> > bit into the hole in the face of the switch and depress
> > the cylinder's lock while turning the cylinder past
> > accessory and pull it out. Insert new lock with the new
> > key in it turned to accessory and turn it to start, done.
> >
> > Easy if you still have a working key and you have the
> > switch that has the hole that is not covered with a
> > plastic shroud, otherwise all bets are off.
> >
> > --
> > Dad
> > 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
> > 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
> > 64 Red/red/white top/4spd

> 76 has a retainer type ign in the column.
> Its not in the dash...
>
> --
> "Key"
> =====

Think he's trying to get past the steering wheel lock. Wish he would have
given a tad more information.

Al

Old August 8th 07, 05:52 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Big Al" > wrote in message

> "'Key" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "Dad" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>> > ps.com...
>> >>
>> > Put your key in, turn it to accessory, push a small
>> > drill
>> > bit into the hole in the face of the switch and depress
>> > the cylinder's lock while turning the cylinder past
>> > accessory and pull it out. Insert new lock with the new
>> > key in it turned to accessory and turn it to start,
>> > done.
>> >
>> > Easy if you still have a working key and you have the
>> > switch that has the hole that is not covered with a
>> > plastic shroud, otherwise all bets are off.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Dad
>> > 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
>> > 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
>> > 64 Red/red/white top/4spd

>> 76 has a retainer type ign in the column.
>> Its not in the dash...
>>
>> --
>> "Key"
>> =====

> Think he's trying to get past the steering wheel lock.
> Wish he would have
> given a tad more information.
>
> Al

yea, the more I think about it, he may have had a telescopic
tilt wheel.
I am not sure what the 76 had..

--
"Key"
=====

Old August 8th 07, 01:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Aug 7, 10:52?pm, "'Key" > wrote:
> "Big Al" > wrote in message

> >> ups.com...

> >> 76 has a retainer type ign in the column.
> >> Its not in the dash...

> >> --
> >> "Key"
> >> =====

> > Think he's trying to get past the steering wheel lock.
> > Wish he would have
> > given a tad more information.

> > Al

> yea, the more I think about it, he may have had a telescopic
> tilt wheel.
> I am not sure what the 76 had..
>
> --
> "Key"

It's a basic column no telescopic or tilt. I got the ring off and the
turn signal switch is hanging out, I took out the 4 bolts holding the
next piece of the column but it seems to be connected to somehing I
cannot see. This all started when the key started sticking in the
start mode and not returning to run. Hopefully I haven't ruined the
starter. I'll save that for another day. Advice I got from a local guy
said try to clean up the lock cylinder, maybe the ignition switch
doesn't need changing. Once I get in there should I change it anyway
being it's not too expensive of a part according to a parts catalog?

Mike

Old August 8th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Eugene Blanchard

Try WD40 sprayed into the lock. It might work..

--
Eugene Blanchard
http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas
Old August 8th 07, 08:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

--
"Key"
=====

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Aug 7, 10:52?pm, "'Key" > wrote:

>> > Think he's trying to get past the steering wheel lock.
>> > Wish he would have
>> > given a tad more information.

>> > Al

>> yea, the more I think about it, he may have had a
>> telescopic
>> tilt wheel.
>> I am not sure what the 76 had..
>>
>> --
>> "Key"

> It's a basic column no telescopic or tilt. I got the ring
> off and the
> turn signal switch is hanging out, I took out the 4 bolts
> holding the
> next piece of the column but it seems to be connected to
> somehing I
> cannot see. This all started when the key started sticking
> in the
> start mode and not returning to run. Hopefully I haven't
> ruined the
> starter. I'll save that for another day. Advice I got from
> a local guy
> said try to clean up the lock cylinder, maybe the ignition
> switch
> doesn't need changing. Once I get in there should I change
> it anyway
> being it's not too expensive of a part according to a
> parts catalog?
>
> Mike

sounds like the ignition has malfunctioned. the retainer cap
has probably came un-crimped inside the ignition. the
retainer cap hold the springs and wafers in place.
you did NOT need to take the four bolts out.put them back in
place.
from that point you should see the key buzzer actuator.
pull it out of the way and use a flat screwdriver and
depress the retainer that holds the ignition in.
sometimes you have to poke through the thin pot-metal to
reach the retainer.
hold your new ignition up there and picture where the
retainer button is located.
the new ignition should just pop into place.

g'luck
--
"Key"

Old August 8th 07, 08:36 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Eugene Blanchard" > wrote in message
> Try WD40 sprayed into the lock. It might work..

WD won't help his situation.
the spring retainer cap has come loose and is blocking the
ignition plug from returning to the off position.
the ignition needs to be removed and repaired or replaced.

--
"Key"
=====

Ignition Switch??? Bill_Kenney Mazda 1 September 10th 06 07:56 PM
ignition switch Larry M. Stein Audi 4 January 2nd 06 02:15 PM
Ignition Switch 79 SB rene VW air cooled 5 November 4th 05 10:12 PM
rabbit ignition switch to toggle switch [email protected] VW water cooled 2 October 24th 05 03:26 AM
Ignition Switch [email protected] VW air cooled 1 February 12th 05 08:32 AM