318i ignition problem

Old November 4th 08, 12:18 AM
Laurak4 Laurak4 is offline
Junior Member

Default 318i ignition problem

I'm having a problem with my 96' 318i. When I start my car the steering wheel stays locked and I have to wiggle a few times to get it loose(I'm afraid to keep doing that, I don't want to break anything). It only does this after I start it. I'm thinking it is the ignition switch. Am I right? Or is it something else?
Old November 4th 08, 12:54 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"Laurak4" > wrote in message

> I'm having a problem with my 96' 318i. When I start my car the steering
> wheel stays locked and I have to wiggle a few times to get it loose(I'm
> afraid to keep doing that, I don't want to break anything). It only
> does this after I start it. I'm thinking it is the ignition switch.
> Am I right? Or is it something else?

The steering should be unlocked long before the engine starts. Are you
describing the problem properly?

When you insert the key, the steering wheel is still locked from the last
time you got out of the car and took the key with you. (When you pull the
key, you can hear the lock engage.) Turning the key will release the lock.
If you parked the car with the wheel turned, it may load the steering lock,
which will require you to turn the wheel slightly from side to side so that
you can turn the key. When you get to the position where you can turn the
key, the steering unlocks without regard to the condition of the engine --
started or still off.

There is nothing wrong with needing to turn the steering wheel slightly to
unload the steering lock. It is odd that you have to do this often enough to
make note of it, but doing it from time to time is not symptomatic of a
serious problem.

Old November 4th 08, 01:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 00:18:55 +0000, Laurak4 >
wrote:

>I'm having a problem with my 96' 318i. When I start my car the steering
>wheel stays locked and I have to wiggle a few times to get it loose(I'm
>afraid to keep doing that, I don't want to break anything). It only
>does this after I start it. I'm thinking it is the ignition switch.
>Am I right? Or is it something else?

I have come across similar problems on other cars. Firstly let me say that I
have never had a BMW steering column apart so this is conjecture or advice for
something to consider.

The steering column itself is really quite thin in diameter as can be seen where
it eventually disappears through the firewall/floor. If one machines a slot in
it to accept the peg that drops into the slot from the lock-ign key assembly
there is not much depth for the pawl to engage so manufacturers tend to slide a
sleeve over the shaft thereby increasing the depth at the locking point.

However, the problem is that 99% of owners generally turn the steering wheel
left and right after removing the key to allow the pawl/peg to engage the slot
thus mentally checking every time the peg is engaged.

NOT a good idea. Why? Well the sleeve is not part of the shaft even though it is
welded in place it is still another piece of tubing. When the peg engages and
the wheel is turned to allow engagement with the slot there is a great deal of
pressure on the edge of this sleeve (unless it happens to be in exactly the
right position) and eventually the edges of the hole/slot in the sleeve tend to
get peened (or burred) out and eventually the edges actually foul the peg and
lock in the retarded position. Sometimes one can hear a click click click when
the wheels is turned - sometimes you cannot but if the mechanism is sticky and
the peg doesn't clear the slot the steering column will remain "LOCKED".

I have repaired several FORDs and a few VOLVOs by removing the column shrouds
and filing the sleeves flat again. I always advised clients to TRUST the fact
that the steering column lock WILL work if anyone tries to steal the car and
they turn the wheel - there is NO NEED to check it is locked - it will be locked
if the car is steered.

Remember NEW cars do not have steering column locks - well my 7 series don't
and. unless you steal my electronic fob there is no way you are driving my car
away. You will have to bring a fork lift truck and flat bed.

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old November 4th 08, 03:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:57:04 +0100, Yvan > wrote:

>Nedavno napisa:
>
>> I always advised clients to TRUST the fact
>> that the steering column lock WILL work if anyone tries to steal the
>> car and they turn the wheel - there is NO NEED to check it is locked
>> - it will be locked if the car is steered.

>I do not know if it is true, but I heard that it is easier to steal the
>car if you do not allow the pawl/peg to engage the slot.

???? Eventually you will need to steer the car so the peg will drop in. One way
round it is to remove the lock by drilling out the snap off head bolts (heads
snap off so nothing to put a spanner on) and taking off the mechanism then
jumping the starter and ign circuits.

>> Remember NEW cars do not have steering column locks - well my 7
>> series don't and. unless you steal my electronic fob there is no way
>> you are driving my car away. You will have to bring a fork lift
>> truck and flat bed.

>If I get in, can't I just tow it away?

Most cars yes but the 7 has electric brakes and you can only tow if you remove
the rear seats and a plate in the transmission tunnel and then get a ratchet
wrench and long extension to disengage the rear end from the prop shaft
otherwise it ain't going nowhere without wrecking everything if it's wrecked
what's the point in stealing it - you're not going to drive it and with a
wrecked transmission you ain't going to part it out very well either and the
radio etc is all computer driven so it can't go in another car.

Old November 4th 08, 09:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 21:10:47 +0100, Yvan > wrote:

>Nedavno napisa:
>
>> >I do not know if it is true, but I heard that it is easier to steal
>> >the car if you do not allow the pawl/peg to engage the slot.

>> ???? Eventually you will need to steer the car so the peg will drop
>> in. One way round it is to remove the lock by drilling out the snap
>> off head bolts (heads snap off so nothing to put a spanner on) and
>> taking off the mechanism then jumping the starter and ign circuits.

>What I meant to say is that it is easier to pick a lock (hope this is
>the right term).

Again the 7 doesn't have a lock of any kind except on the door. No ign "KEY" as
the common accepted metal stick thing.

There is a "key" of sorts that will unlock the doors but that's it. To start the
engine the electronic fob has to be inserted in the receptacle in the dash and
if everything matches the seats adjust and the mirrors adjust to whichever
driver is using the car - me or my wife.

The "key" also stores all the service data as it ticks by and the fault codes if
any so when going for a service all I need do is hand the key fob to the agent
who then reads what service and what faults are there and fixes it etc.

The only manual bit really is the wiper blades and the rubber stamp on the log
book.

Old November 4th 08, 09:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:57:04 +0100, Yvan > wrote:
>
>>Nedavno napisa:
>>
>>> I always advised clients to TRUST the fact
>>> that the steering column lock WILL work if anyone tries to steal the
>>> car and they turn the wheel - there is NO NEED to check it is locked
>>> - it will be locked if the car is steered.

>>I do not know if it is true, but I heard that it is easier to steal the
>>car if you do not allow the pawl/peg to engage the slot.

> ???? Eventually you will need to steer the car so the peg will drop in.
> One way
> round it is to remove the lock by drilling out the snap off head bolts
> (heads
> snap off so nothing to put a spanner on) and taking off the mechanism then
> jumping the starter and ign circuits.

If the car is locked by the key or key fob, the ignition is bypassed and the
car will not start by the key or by any manipulation of the ignition set
until the central computer is satisfied that the doors have been unlocked by
the key or key fob.

Turn the car off, lock the door, walk away. The steering will lock itself
when the steering wheel is moved, if it has not locked itself already. The
doors lock, which keeps the bad guys out unless they are seriously dedicated
to getting in. And the ignition is shut off until the car thinks the doors
have been opened properly.

>>> Remember NEW cars do not have steering column locks - well my 7
>>> series don't and. unless you steal my electronic fob there is no way
>>> you are driving my car away. You will have to bring a fork lift
>>> truck and flat bed.

>>If I get in, can't I just tow it away?

> Most cars yes but the 7 has electric brakes and you can only tow if you
> remove
> the rear seats and a plate in the transmission tunnel and then get a
> ratchet
> wrench and long extension to disengage the rear end from the prop shaft
> otherwise it ain't going nowhere without wrecking everything if it's
> wrecked
> what's the point in stealing it - you're not going to drive it and with a
> wrecked transmission you ain't going to part it out very well either and
> the
> radio etc is all computer driven so it can't go in another car.

Why can't you simply pick the car up by the rear tires and tow it on the
front tires. Alternatively, you can pick up one end of the car and put it on
a dolly, and pick up the other end with the lift on the tow truck.

Any car can be towed by anybody, and there is nothing the car maker or owner
can do to prevent it.

Old November 5th 08, 02:23 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

In article >, Yvan > wrote:
>Nedavno napisa:
>
>> >I do not know if it is true, but I heard that it is easier to steal
>> >the car if you do not allow the pawl/peg to engage the slot.

>> ???? Eventually you will need to steer the car so the peg will drop
>> in. One way round it is to remove the lock by drilling out the snap
>> off head bolts (heads snap off so nothing to put a spanner on) and
>> taking off the mechanism then jumping the starter and ign circuits.

>What I meant to say is that it is easier to pick a lock (hope this is
>the right term).

The kids don't do that any more. They get a dent-pulling tool, put it
into the lock, tear the whole lock cylinder out, and use a screwdriver
to manipulate the lock mechanism.

It'll take them two minutes flat to get into the locked car, get the
ignition apart, and the car started. By the time you even notice
they are gone.

Don't worry about the ignition lock, it's basically futile anyway.
That's why they have the fancy electronic keys these days. Of course,
with the electronic key systems, the kids come up from behind with
a tow truck, jack the wheels up, and they're out of there with the car
on the back of a flatbed in under five minutes anyway.
--scott

318i 95 (OverHeart - Fan - Battery Problem) [email protected] BMW 0 February 12th 07 01:38 AM
RPM problem BMW E36 SALOON 318i 1994 M43 , 153.000 km Dirk[_1_] BMW 4 January 8th 07 10:49 PM
318I Electrical Problem floridatide BMW 0 June 16th 06 01:47 PM
Ignition problem? aught Honda 4 January 4th 06 07:07 PM
'90 BMW 318i - surging throttle problem John Burns BMW 5 April 10th 05 12:00 PM