Enable Television

Old December 30th 08, 08:34 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave[_60_]

Default Enable Television

Hi i have 2002 X5 can i enable the tv while driving

Old December 30th 08, 09:26 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 19:34:02 +1100, "Dave" > wrote:

>Hi i have 2002 X5 can i enable the tv while driving

And why would you want to do that - death wish?

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old December 30th 08, 11:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave[_60_]

Sorry i should explain that my daughter would like to watch tv while i am
driving

Old December 31st 08, 01:03 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

No you can't. It's illegal to do so.

u...

Old December 31st 08, 01:05 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

IF the screen is visible from the driver seat, then TV cannot be enabled
while driving. If the TV is in the back of the headrests, then it may be
legal to have the TV function while driving. I've seen DVD players in
operation in locations behind the driver while driving, and I see no
difference in a DVD and TV.

u...

Old December 31st 08, 01:06 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Gordon Shumway

You are exhibiting wonderful parenting skills.

The TV could provide excellent lighting so you could also instruct her
to apply makeup while driving too. Once that is mastered, try
introducing a cell phone conversation with the above activities.

After that she'll be ready for the open road all by herself.

G.S.

Old January 3rd 09, 09:09 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:25:10 +1100, "Dave" > wrote:

>Sorry i should explain that my daughter would like to watch tv while i am
>driving

So buy her a TV for the car. It is illegal to have a TV monitor screen in the
driver's line of sight whilst the vehicle is in motion. If you have a good look
at police vehicles you will see the screen is angled towards the observer.
Unfortunately the TV can be enabled but it is very unwise on at least 2
accounts. One is that if you do have a accident/incident and your ins co found
out the TV was enabled - no insurance cover = bankruptcy if damages are awarded
against you or even a criminal record. The second is being charged with driving
without due car as per mobile phone usage.

The TV system is linked to the parking brake system - if you must - and please
don't visit the Chichester area with your car (I know you are in Australia) -
there are ******* on eBay offering instructions on how to do this reckless act.

I advise you to get a portable unit and sit your daughter in the back with
earphones making sure she is well secured with the seat belt.

Hugh

Old January 3rd 09, 03:53 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

In the UK it is a criminal offence to have a TV visible to the driver while
the vehicle is in motion. BMW implement this by blanking the screen when
you shift out of park.

OTOH this is normal in France. The driver of a taxi from the airport was
watching football on a TV while driving me to my hotel. After the second
missed light there was quite an argument!

u...

Old January 3rd 09, 06:53 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 15:53:38 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
> wrote:

>In the UK it is a criminal offence to have a TV visible to the driver while
>the vehicle is in motion.

*Criminal* offence? You sure about that?

I'd think it's most likely a summary offence...
--
Dan.
Old January 5th 09, 09:53 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 13:53:37 -0500, Dean Dark >
wrote:

>On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 15:53:38 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
> wrote:
>
>>In the UK it is a criminal offence to have a TV visible to the driver while
>>the vehicle is in motion.

>*Criminal* offence? You sure about that?
>
>I'd think it's most likely a summary offence...

Well it depends on which way you see it. If you drive whilst watching TV, using
a cell phone, eating an apple, using a microphone (CB) or doing anything that is
"considered" driving without due car and consideration for other road users - if
nothing happens then it is an "offence" under the road traffic acts.

However if something does happen and to what degree it can escalate into
Manslaughter, Dangerous driving, driving in a manner that endangers the public
etc.

On conviction using a cell phone whilst driving (not hands free but could be if
you are distracted) it is 6 points on your licence and £100 ($200) fine. Can be
disqualified if the judge feels it warrants it.

Causing death by dangerous driving is a criminal offence.

Motoring offences are "not" criminal in themselves but can be.

Just as every vehicle allowed on the British roads (same in the US and Europe)
must comply with the Construction and use regulations. That's why the UK has
rear fog lamps on the Right side and Europe has them on the LEFT and the US
don't have rear fog lamps.

US headlamps used to be only 25w output so they stuck 4 on the front and the
style caught on as American exuberance or OTT but really it was a necessity. In
the UK our rules say the headlamps can be 55w/60w output for road use. so we
don't need 4 @ 25w.

LHD/RHD don't really matter but the car must comply to Euro spec.

Watching TV on the move is also illegal in France, Spain and other Euroland
countries. The problem only arises if you are caught and usually its when you
have killed someone.............

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

Television has 3 senses Earle Horton[_20_] Jeep 0 October 20th 07 04:27 PM
Enable day time running lights DRL's sawboan Audi 16 April 14th 07 02:33 PM
New Saturn Television Ads CE Saturn 0 August 30th 06 04:26 AM
Enable DRL on 2005 US Spec CR-V? RWM Honda 57 November 8th 04 10:01 PM
As seen on NBC...ABC...And UPN Television Station Patrick j Alfa Romeo 0 May 6th 04 02:45 PM