What to do of power line touches your car

Old July 18th 11, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
zeez[_3_]

Default What to do of power line touches your car

Warn other people to stay away . Ask them to call 911 and the
local electric utility for help.
Stay there until rescue workers arrive. You are safer inside the
car because it acts as a Faraday cage.
If you must leave the car because of fire or other danger , DO
NOT STEP OUT of the car . If you touch the car and the
ground at the same time, you will be shocked . Instead, JUMP
away from the car so no part of you touches the car and the
ground at the same time. Land with your feet together, and
shuffle away keeping both feet on the ground.
Do not try to help someone else from the car while you are
standing on the ground. If you do, you will become a path for
electricity and could be hurt or killed !
Once you jump from a car with a power line on it , the danger
may not be over . Electricity can spread out through the ground
in a circle from any downed line . The voltage drops as you
move away from the point of contact . If one part of your body
touches a high-voltage zone while another part of your body
touches a low -voltage zone , you will become a conductor for
electricity . This is why you should shuffle away from the line ,
keeping your feet close together
Old July 20th 11, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
ChrisCoaster

On Jul 18, 8:06*am, zeez > wrote:

> Once you jump from a car with a power line on it , the danger
> may not be over . Electricity can spread out through the ground
> in a circle from any downed line . The voltage drops as you
> move away from the point of contact . If one part of your body
> touches a high-voltage zone while another part of your body
> touches a low -voltage zone , you will become a conductor for
> electricity . This is why you should shuffle away from the line ,
> keeping your feet close together

_____________________
I actually attempted this, using my sofa as a stranded "car". My wife
remarked it looked like '80s style breakdancing. LOL!!!

-Chriscoaster
Old July 21st 11, 06:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nick Naim

"zeez" > wrote in message

> Warn other people to stay away . Ask them to call 911 and the
> local electric utility for help.
> Stay there until rescue workers arrive. You are safer inside the
> car because it acts as a Faraday cage.
> If you must leave the car because of fire or other danger , DO
> NOT STEP OUT of the car . If you touch the car and the
> ground at the same time, you will be shocked . Instead, JUMP
> away from the car so no part of you touches the car and the
> ground at the same time. Land with your feet together, and
> shuffle away keeping both feet on the ground.
> Do not try to help someone else from the car while you are
> standing on the ground. If you do, you will become a path for
> electricity and could be hurt or killed !
> Once you jump from a car with a power line on it , the danger
> may not be over . Electricity can spread out through the ground
> in a circle from any downed line . The voltage drops as you
> move away from the point of contact . If one part of your body
> touches a high-voltage zone while another part of your body
> touches a low -voltage zone , you will become a conductor for
> electricity . This is why you should shuffle away from the line ,
> keeping your feet close together

KYAGB