Weird oil pressure question

Old May 16th 11, 01:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default Weird oil pressure question

1997 ZJ 5.2.

At startup, no oil pressure, can hear lifters clicking.

Turn it off, turn it back on, oil pressure comes up, no lifter noise.

Oil pressure is a little under 40 per the gage.

Give it a little gas and at somewhere between 1000 and 1500 RPM the oil
pressure goes away, no lifter noise.

I'm going to repeat that--it HAS oil pressure at IDLE.

ABOVE IDLE it has no oil pressure.

Oil level is right at the top mark on the dipstick. I tried changing
the oil and filter and that didn't help.

Haven't put a mechanical gage on it yet--the lifter noise at startup and
the consistent behavior suggest that it's a real problem and not just
the gage and I don't have a mechanical gage.

Problem started right after I replaced the plenum pan and gasket.

My inclination is that something or other (a lump of gasket, a leaf, a
squirrel, or whatever) managed to get into the oil pan while I had the
manifold off and is now partially obstructing the oil intake.

My inclination is to drop the pan and see if the strainer is obstructed,
however if anybody has some less messy alternatives to try that don't
involve working underneath it in the pouring rain or riding a motorcycle
down to the parts store in the pouring rain I'd be ecstatic to give it a
try.
Old May 16th 11, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ocal>,
says...

> 1997 ZJ 5.2.
>
> At startup, no oil pressure, can hear lifters clicking.
>
> Turn it off, turn it back on, oil pressure comes up, no lifter noise.
>
> Oil pressure is a little under 40 per the gage.
>
> Give it a little gas and at somewhere between 1000 and 1500 RPM the oil
> pressure goes away, no lifter noise.
>
> I'm going to repeat that--it HAS oil pressure at IDLE.
>
> ABOVE IDLE it has no oil pressure.
>
> Oil level is right at the top mark on the dipstick. I tried changing
> the oil and filter and that didn't help.
>
> Haven't put a mechanical gage on it yet--the lifter noise at startup and
> the consistent behavior suggest that it's a real problem and not just
> the gage and I don't have a mechanical gage.
>
> Problem started right after I replaced the plenum pan and gasket.
>
> My inclination is that something or other (a lump of gasket, a leaf, a
> squirrel, or whatever) managed to get into the oil pan while I had the
> manifold off and is now partially obstructing the oil intake.
>
> My inclination is to drop the pan and see if the strainer is obstructed,
> however if anybody has some less messy alternatives to try that don't
> involve working underneath it in the pouring rain or riding a motorcycle
> down to the parts store in the pouring rain I'd be ecstatic to give it a
> try.

Well, got the pan loose and of course it immediately started to rain
hard.

Now looks like the Y-pipe has to come off. I'd been dreading that.
AAARRGHHHH.

I'm thinking it's time to bolt it back up and take it to a mechanic.

Hate to do it but with rain forcast for the next week . . .

Old May 17th 11, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
in.local...
> In article ocal>,
> says...
>>
>> 1997 ZJ 5.2.
>>
>> At startup, no oil pressure, can hear lifters clicking.
>>
>> Turn it off, turn it back on, oil pressure comes up, no lifter noise.
>>
>> Oil pressure is a little under 40 per the gage.
>>
>> Give it a little gas and at somewhere between 1000 and 1500 RPM the oil
>> pressure goes away, no lifter noise.
>>
>> I'm going to repeat that--it HAS oil pressure at IDLE.
>>
>> ABOVE IDLE it has no oil pressure.
>>
>> Oil level is right at the top mark on the dipstick. I tried changing
>> the oil and filter and that didn't help.
>>
>> Haven't put a mechanical gage on it yet--the lifter noise at startup and
>> the consistent behavior suggest that it's a real problem and not just
>> the gage and I don't have a mechanical gage.
>>
>> Problem started right after I replaced the plenum pan and gasket.
>>
>> My inclination is that something or other (a lump of gasket, a leaf, a
>> squirrel, or whatever) managed to get into the oil pan while I had the
>> manifold off and is now partially obstructing the oil intake.
>>
>> My inclination is to drop the pan and see if the strainer is obstructed,
>> however if anybody has some less messy alternatives to try that don't
>> involve working underneath it in the pouring rain or riding a motorcycle
>> down to the parts store in the pouring rain I'd be ecstatic to give it a
>> try.

> Well, got the pan loose and of course it immediately started to rain
> hard.
>
> Now looks like the Y-pipe has to come off. I'd been dreading that.
> AAARRGHHHH.
>
> I'm thinking it's time to bolt it back up and take it to a mechanic.
>
> Hate to do it but with rain forcast for the next week . . .

Look at it on the bright side. At least you didn't get to the "ride the
motorcycle to the parts store in the rain" stage.

I mentioned a connection between Harley riders and Jeepers on a Harley
forum. Over 40 people on the Harley forum also had Jeeps.
Then again, maybe it's just motorcycles and Jeeps and not necessarily just
Harleys.

--
Old Crow
'82 FLTC(P) 92"

Old May 19th 11, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Hmmmm . . . .

What if my "other ride" is a resto-rodded 1952 Cushman step-thru? Does that
count?

Swapped in a 7 Hp Briggs (balanced, ported, relieved, shaved head), body (
this is the classic "turtle back" scooter) modded with an enlarged trunk
made to look like a 50's pickup box ... just a lot smaller.

It's geared to run at 55-60 instead of the stock 40-45.

Budd

Old May 19th 11, 11:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

"Budd Cochran" > wrote in message
> Hmmmm . . . .
>

> What if my "other ride" is a resto-rodded 1952 Cushman step-thru? Does
> that count?
>
> Swapped in a 7 Hp Briggs (balanced, ported, relieved, shaved head), body
> ( this is the classic "turtle back" scooter) modded with an enlarged trunk
> made to look like a 50's pickup box ... just a lot smaller.
>
> It's geared to run at 55-60 instead of the stock 40-45.
>
> Budd

I got no problem with restored "hot rods". I've had a lot more bikes in my
life that weren't Harleys than bikes that were.
Had a guy give me an old Cushman frame one time that he'd dug out of a shed
at a place he bought. It was too far gone to do anything but make a yard
ornament out of it.

Old May 20th 11, 05:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

I know what you mean.

4 Hondas (from 50 - 450 cc)
1 Suzuki dirt bike
1 Kawasaki dirt bike
1 AMF moped
1 Puch moped (hey, they were cheap transportation)

And now the Cushman which is a 60 series RoadKing model.

I've also swapped into it a Cushman 50 series PackageKar transmission which
has a reverse gear and two forward speeds for use with the side car I'm
building for the scooter ... getting too old to push the durn thing
backward.

Just don't ask how many cars, trucks and Jeeps I've had ... not enough
bandwidth. <VBG>

Budd

Old May 20th 11, 11:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

"Budd Cochran" > wrote in message
>I know what you mean.
>
> 4 Hondas (from 50 - 450 cc)
> 1 Suzuki dirt bike
> 1 Kawasaki dirt bike
> 1 AMF moped
> 1 Puch moped (hey, they were cheap transportation)
>
> And now the Cushman which is a 60 series RoadKing model.
>
> I've also swapped into it a Cushman 50 series PackageKar transmission
> which has a reverse gear and two forward speeds for use with the side car
> I'm building for the scooter ... getting too old to push the durn thing
> backward.
>
> Just don't ask how many cars, trucks and Jeeps I've had ... not enough
> bandwidth. <VBG>

Funny that. I was looking at this just the other day:
http://www.libertysidecars.com/
Gettin' old, but I don't want a trike. This might fill the bill.

Old May 20th 11, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Old Crow wrote:

> "Budd Cochran" > wrote in message
>>I know what you mean.
>>
>> 4 Hondas (from 50 - 450 cc)
>> 1 Suzuki dirt bike
>> 1 Kawasaki dirt bike
>> 1 AMF moped
>> 1 Puch moped (hey, they were cheap transportation)
>>
>> And now the Cushman which is a 60 series RoadKing model.
>>
>> I've also swapped into it a Cushman 50 series PackageKar transmission
>> which has a reverse gear and two forward speeds for use with the side car
>> I'm building for the scooter ... getting too old to push the durn thing
>> backward.
>>
>> Just don't ask how many cars, trucks and Jeeps I've had ... not enough
>> bandwidth. <VBG>
>>

> Funny that. I was looking at this just the other day:
> http://www.libertysidecars.com/
> Gettin' old, but I don't want a trike. This might fill the bill.

Ah, the memories. The part about Cushmans and sidecars that remains with me
comes from the early 50's. I got a drivers license to drive one on-base to
deliver newspapers at the tender age of 13. All was well until I made that
first right-hand turn just a tad too fast with an empty sidecar...

Back then, it seems everyone on base had either a Cushman or an Izetta.
There must have been half a dozen Cushman models just on Ramey AFB alone -
everything from the low end single speed step-thru slug to the fancy belt-
driven variable drive mosels. Learned a lot about wrenching keeping those
things running.

--
Will Honea

Old May 20th 11, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Very Cool Scooter!
I have a 1957 Cushman Step Thru Scooter.
In all original condition, but it needs a full
restoration...
I am actually thinking of building a full
chromoly tubing frame for it and then stuff
250 cc. motorcycle engine into it and turn
into a drag bike/scooter!
Then stuff a 255-50-10 inch "Mini" race tire
in the back and a pizza cutter size tire up front!

Old May 21st 11, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Thanks, but I've got my sidecar almost done. Being disabled and the current
administration thinks they should get raises while those that have retired
or are disabled don't deserve any (but it's Friday and 2012 is coming), I
built it out of scounged materials:

Spring = mountain bike rear shock

Frame = parts of an old bike trailer, a weight bench, and old 1"square
tubing in the scrap pile.

Swing Arm = the old draglink off my XJ driled and tapped to take a cut down
mini-bike axle.
Wheel = Mini-bike wheel (won't be used over 50 mph so no worries)

Box = scrap lumber / plywood, old piano hinge and a lockable hasp.

Hardest part: getting the axle aligned.

Budd