Simple turn signal.

Old August 18th 10, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Simple turn signal.

Juke Girl movie on the TCM channel right now.Ronald Reagan driving a
truck, a piece of rope attatched to a semaphore.Pull the rope for a left
turn and the semaphore goes up.
The good old simple days.
cuhulin

Old August 19th 10, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Don Stauffer" > wrote in message news:4c6d2e3f$0
> I think the car mfgs could save a lot of money by deleting turn signals.
> No one uses them anymore anyways :-(

If they were made an application of a cell phone, there might be a chance..

Old August 20th 10, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
WW[_2_]

> wrote in message
> Juke Girl movie on the TCM channel right now.Ronald Reagan driving a
> truck, a piece of rope attached to a semaphore.Pull the rope for a left
> turn and the semaphore goes up.
> The good old simple days.
> cuhulin

Some where in the early 50's VW Bug had a lever on the dash that would flip
up a flag on either side depending on which way it was turned.. Friend was
showing me the car one evening for a drive. I thought that was a neat idea.
I flipped the lever back and forth several times. Happens that a State
Patrol car was behind us. Got pulled over and chewed out about doing this. I
took the blame and my friend (the driver) did not get a ticket.

Old August 20th 10, 11:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

"WW" > wrote in
:

> > wrote in message
>> Juke Girl movie on the TCM channel right now.Ronald Reagan driving a
>> truck, a piece of rope attached to a semaphore.Pull the rope for a
>> left turn and the semaphore goes up.
>> The good old simple days.
>> cuhulin
>>

> Some where in the early 50's VW Bug had a lever on the dash that would
> flip up a flag on either side depending on which way it was turned.

Those were called "trafficators", and were common on European cars until
about the '60s. Usually the little arm was mounted to the B-pillar, and was
illuminated. Some markets did not allow trafficators. In such instances,
the trafficator was replaced with a light, sometimes placed in the same
location as the trafficator.

I imagine mechanical failure was common.

--
Tegger
Old August 20th 10, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

http://www.motorera.com/history/hist11.htm

In 1938 Buick offered flashing turn signals as an option, but only for
the rear.In 1940 they were extended to the front and given a self
canceling feature.
cuhulin

Old August 20th 10, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

> wrote in message
> http://www.motorera.com/history/hist11.htm
>
> In 1938 Buick offered flashing turn signals as an option, but only for
> the rear.In 1940 they were extended to the front and given a self
> canceling feature.
> cuhulin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trafficators maybe these could make a
comeback...

Ed

93 ZJ Turn Signal Bogey Buster Jeep 2 May 21st 07 06:32 PM
Turn Signal help! [email protected] Technology 2 March 21st 06 03:14 PM
turn signal ballinjefe22 Ford Explorer 3 December 8th 05 10:15 PM
Left LoBeam Out, Turn Signal Warning Signal On Ted Borck Jeep 5 November 25th 05 08:05 PM
Turn signal [email protected] BMW 2 January 16th 05 11:04 PM