1986 Reliant

Old January 23rd 09, 05:39 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default 1986 Reliant

I have a chance to pick up a one owner 1986 Reliant coupe with
142000km on it. Body is almost totally rust free with original paint -
black with silver vinyl toof, buckets, sunroof and automatic.
It needs a complete exhaust and the headliner is coming down - but
otherwize in very good condition.

What's a reasonable value on onr of these today??
Old January 23rd 09, 05:41 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Dan C

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:39:06 -0500, clare wrote:

> I have a chance to pick up a one owner 1986 Reliant coupe with 142000km
> on it. Body is almost totally rust free with original paint - black with
> silver vinyl toof, buckets, sunroof and automatic. It needs a complete
> exhaust and the headliner is coming down - but otherwize in very good
> condition.
>
> What's a reasonable value on onr of these today??

I'd say about $15.00.

Old January 26th 09, 12:49 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On 23 Jan 2009 17:41:48 GMT, Dan C >
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:39:06 -0500, clare wrote:
>
>> I have a chance to pick up a one owner 1986 Reliant coupe with 142000km
>> on it. Body is almost totally rust free with original paint - black with
>> silver vinyl toof, buckets, sunroof and automatic. It needs a complete
>> exhaust and the headliner is coming down - but otherwize in very good
>> condition.
>>
>> What's a reasonable value on onr of these today??

>I'd say about $15.00.

OK, that's your $00.02 worth.
Old January 27th 09, 12:51 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
William R. Walsh

Hi!

> What's a reasonable value on onr of these today??

I paid $100 for a 1984 Reliant SE with rusted floor pans and in need of
carburetor work. It has 76,400 original miles on it to date (it was an "old
lady car") and runs fine now. It doesn't look great, but it doesn't look bad
either.

http://greyghost.mooo.com/k-car/DSC03734.JPG (640x480, 77KB)

(Those pictures are from when I took it home.)

It's still running fine, and I *love* it. That might seem like a funny thing
for a person who also has a nice, relatively new truck to say, but Chrysler
really did a good job on this car. I would have another one in a heartbeat.

William

Old January 27th 09, 03:13 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 00:51:07 GMT, "William R. Walsh"
m> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>> What's a reasonable value on onr of these today??

>I paid $100 for a 1984 Reliant SE with rusted floor pans and in need of
>carburetor work. It has 76,400 original miles on it to date (it was an "old
>lady car") and runs fine now. It doesn't look great, but it doesn't look bad
>either.
>
>http://greyghost.mooo.com/k-car/DSC03734.JPG (640x480, 77KB)
>
>(Those pictures are from when I took it home.)
>
>It's still running fine, and I *love* it. That might seem like a funny thing
>for a person who also has a nice, relatively new truck to say, but Chrysler
>really did a good job on this car. I would have another one in a heartbeat.
>
>William

Nice PH41 survivor - one of 16,223 built in 1984. The one I'm looking
at is I believe a KPH21 (LE Coupe) - one of 2482 - and fuel injected,
so no carb problems. Those '84 carbs were fussy.
Old January 27th 09, 04:28 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
William R. Walsh

Hi!

> Nice PH41 survivor - one of 16,223 built in 1984.

Well, that is interesting information. I did not know about the production
numbers for that particular model. Know of any interesting web sites for
these cars?

It has some problems--the biggest is rust--but I really do like driving it.
It's a great car to drive around town. The other problems are broken power
steering (the pump shaft seal is bad) and a brake booster that recently
died. I've been working on both problems when I get the time to do so.
Previous owner put a new A/C compressor on it, so if I ever got really
ambitious...I could think about cold air. The engine's rear main seal is
leaky, not sure I want to deal with replacing it. It's not using a lot of
oil...

But there is the rust. It's taken away a huge amount of the floor pans, and
I don't know what I'm going to do about it. I'd like to get adventurous and
maybe weld some new ones in, but there's that $100 number again.

This one has the Mitsubishi 2.6L "Silent Shaft" engine, and it sure did have
carb problems when I got it. The choke didn't work, and the secondary was
stuck open. Fortunately, I came across a heck of a deal for the Chrysler
factory service manuals on eBay...and they led the way to solving all the
carb problems.

I know that if I ever found another one that wasn't so eaten up by rust and
that ran and drove without issue...I would not hesitate to make an offer on
it. Good luck if you end up getting the one you're looking at. Fuel
injection would be nice.

William

Old January 28th 09, 08:04 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
MasterBlaster

http://www.eekcars.com/ ... specifically, http://www.allpar.com/eek/k/k.html

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/k-cars-33/

http://www.polybushings.com/pages/k-carwagon.html