IRL/Champ Car deal reportedly done

Old February 19th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
cowoffunk

Default IRL/Champ Car deal reportedly done

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65213

Old February 20th 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

So what type of cars do we see running at Indy now - the IRL junk?

Old February 20th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim Wheatley

On Feb 19, 8:10 pm, "Byron Forbes" > wrote:
> So what type of cars do we see running at Indy now - the IRL junk?
>
> "cowoffunk" > wrote in message

> >http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65213

According to that article, it would seem so.
Old February 20th 08, 10:42 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
cowoffunk

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in message
> So what type of cars do we see running at Indy now - the IRL junk?
>

> "cowoffunk" > wrote in message
>> http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65213

Those Panoz chassis get mothballed. Some teams have brand new ones which
haven't even turned a wheel

Old February 21st 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

"cowoffunk" > wrote in message

> "Byron Forbes" > wrote in message
>> So what type of cars do we see running at Indy now - the IRL junk?
>>

>> "cowoffunk" > wrote in message
>>> http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65213
>>>

> Those Panoz chassis get mothballed. Some teams have brand new ones which
> haven't even turned a wheel

I was getting more at the putt putt engines that the IRL use -->
yawn.....................

Old February 21st 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
btgoss

On Feb 20, 7:04 am, Uwe Schürkamp > wrote:
> Thank $DEITY that stupid split is over. I hope they keep the road
> courses in the schedule for good and that they make a return to Europe /
> Germany one day.
>
> Cheers, uwe
>
> --

They need a 60/40 split ovals and road courses to start, maybe for 5
years. Get the American fan base back. Then they should look to go
50/50 with Europe and Asia being on the ticket. I think anything more
aggressive then that and they will not be able to survive.

As for the cars, I am sure they will work out a formula that allows
all cars to run for a year or two. The IRL did this at the beginning,
and it would only make sense now.

Does anyone think this might just be a case of "too little too late"
for top level American open wheel racing?
Old February 22nd 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin

"btgoss" > wrote in message
On Feb 20, 7:04 am, Uwe Schürkamp > wrote:
> Thank $DEITY that stupid split is over. I hope they keep the road
> courses in the schedule for good and that they make a return to Europe /
> Germany one day.
>
> Cheers, uwe
>
> --

They need a 60/40 split ovals and road courses to start, maybe for 5
years. Get the American fan base back. Then they should look to go
50/50 with Europe and Asia being on the ticket. I think anything more
aggressive then that and they will not be able to survive.

As for the cars, I am sure they will work out a formula that allows
all cars to run for a year or two. The IRL did this at the beginning,
and it would only make sense now.

Does anyone think this might just be a case of "too little too late"
for top level American open wheel racing?

It could be too late. The IRL is supplying cars to the Champ Car teams
coming over, so they ARE spending some cash to get this going. One big
problem is that many top names in open wheel racing have moved or are moving
over to Nascar. Name recognition, other than a handful of drivers, is going
to be a problem initially. I think by 2009 there will be about a 50/50 split
between ovals and road courses. Hell.....there might even be a "real" bump
day at the 500 this year if enough drivers hang around.....:-)

Ed

Old February 23rd 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer[_2_]

On Feb 20, 7:37*pm, "Byron Forbes" > wrote:

> * * I was getting more at the putt putt engines that the IRL use -->
> yawn.....................

Crapwagons are crapwagons, doesn't make much difference to me if they
add a handful of champcar teams or not. It's nice having Penske and
Newman-Haas in the same series again, but without tracks like Road
America and cars with turbos/ground effect I don't see how the merger
is going to increase my interest in the IRL.

Old March 1st 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mike

jason moyer wrote:
> On Feb 20, 7:37 pm, "Byron Forbes" > wrote:
>
>> I was getting more at the putt putt engines that the IRL use -->
>> yawn.....................

> Crapwagons are crapwagons, doesn't make much difference to me if they
> add a handful of champcar teams or not. It's nice having Penske and
> Newman-Haas in the same series again, but without tracks like Road
> America and cars with turbos/ground effect I don't see how the merger
> is going to increase my interest in the IRL.

Adding Europe, South America and Asia is what turned CART into F1
wannabes in the first place. This is an American series that should be
run in America. The Japan race is just to appease Honda. Definitely keep
Road America, Mid Ohio, Portland, Laguna Seca, Long Beach and Sears
Point. Can the races in South Korea (?), Germany and elsewhere in Europe.
Old March 1st 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

"Mike" > wrote in message
> jason moyer wrote:
>> On Feb 20, 7:37 pm, "Byron Forbes" > wrote:
>>
>>> I was getting more at the putt putt engines that the IRL use -->
>>> yawn.....................

>> Crapwagons are crapwagons, doesn't make much difference to me if they
>> add a handful of champcar teams or not. It's nice having Penske and
>> Newman-Haas in the same series again, but without tracks like Road
>> America and cars with turbos/ground effect I don't see how the merger
>> is going to increase my interest in the IRL.
>>

> Adding Europe, South America and Asia is what turned CART into F1 wannabes
> in the first place. This is an American series that should be run in
> America. The Japan race is just to appease Honda. Definitely keep Road
> America, Mid Ohio, Portland, Laguna Seca, Long Beach and Sears Point. Can
> the races in South Korea (?), Germany and elsewhere in Europe.

You must be kidding! There is one single thing that screwed CART - the
loss of the Indy500. It was not only the single greatest motor sport event
on the planet - it was, in my opinion at least, the greatest single sporting
event on the planet. And then a handful of bozos were allowed to screw the
entire thing up. As far as the foreign tracks go - well a good track is a
good track and................ Expnad or die!
I'll bet it's one of Michael Schumacher's regrets that they stuffed that
up before he got a chance to do what Jacques Villeneuve did and what Nigel
Mansell almost did. To me, in 1995 the CART series was a very legitimate
alternative to F1 where the emphasis was clearly more on the driver than the
car as it is in F1. I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of F1 conspiracy
brought CART down - they had good reason to feel threatened by it then.
CHAMP and IRL now - just a joke. Not even a tiny blip on the international
radar.