2l Golf Oil usage

Old December 26th 04, 11:42 AM
Woodchuck

Default 2l Golf Oil usage

Your dealer will do a oil consumption test first before any warranty
repairs. At least that how it is in the USA.

Old December 26th 04, 04:12 PM
RaT

The 2 ltr MKIV golfs have a know problem of high oil consumption on some
cars, but not anything like you are haing. I suggest you get the steaelr to
look at it while under warrenty, and dont accept fromthem that its normal.
Its not. The main known problem (apart from normal leaks) is the piston ring
wear out so allowing oil to be burnt off.

Old December 27th 04, 01:41 AM
Woodchuck

You should get your information correct instead of making a general all 2l
engines comment. It was mainly only the pre 2001 engines with the engine
code of AEG. 2001 and up engines have a AVH engine code. VWoA will most
likely not do anything unless the oil usage is more than 1 quart in about
1200miles. As for the cause, I been told it's from the rings not seating
into the bores because they were too hard of ring. The re-ring jobs I have
done show no signs that the rings were worn out! Also been told it shows up
more on engines that the owner changes the oil way before the first 5000mile
oil change. Yes we have done a few re-ring jobs but overall with as many
VW's as we service it's very few. All engines use oil... some more and some
less, but VW's 2l seems to use the most and the 1.8T uses the least. Just
your friendly stealr tech's opinion.

Old December 27th 04, 01:41 AM
Woodchuck

Old December 27th 04, 03:49 PM
marc o

I have to agree with Woodchuck on this one except the limit is 1qt per 1000
miles.the problem is very regional, or at least thats how the warranty shows
it.some areas of the country haven't had any complaints.some areas have
lots.may also be techs just upselling warrnty work, who knows?2 pieces of
advise though,
1st, get you story straight, you are obviously basing your reply on opinions
or hatred of the product.
2nd, learn to spell.

Old December 27th 04, 03:49 PM
marc o

Old December 28th 04, 02:32 AM
Simplstupd

2 comments: on my 96 Golf ABA 2.0 which I bought new it never used any oil
until I gave it to a friend at 35k miles.

How hard is it to check the oil 2x/month and add if necessary? Is oil really
that expensive? I mean c'mon folks! Find something else to complain about!

Old December 28th 04, 09:42 PM
Tony Bad

"Woodchuck" > wrote in message
> You should get your information correct instead of making a general all 2l
> engines comment. It was mainly only the pre 2001 engines with the engine
> code of AEG. 2001 and up engines have a AVH engine code. VWoA will most
> likely not do anything unless the oil usage is more than 1 quart in about
> 1200miles. As for the cause, I been told it's from the rings not seating
> into the bores because they were too hard of ring. The re-ring jobs I have
> done show no signs that the rings were worn out! Also been told it shows up
> more on engines that the owner changes the oil way before the first 5000mile
> oil change. Yes we have done a few re-ring jobs but overall with as many
> VW's as we service it's very few. All engines use oil... some more and some
> less, but VW's 2l seems to use the most and the 1.8T uses the least. Just
> your friendly stealr tech's opinion.

As I mentioned here before, our 02 Jetta has used more oil than another vehicle
(over 40) I have owned...including some with ragged out old GM 350's with over
200,000 miles on the clock. I am bringing it in to dealer on Thursday, as in the
past month, rate of oil usage has jumped dramatically...was 1/2 quart per 1000
miles and is now about 1 quart per 1000 miles. I followed all the
recommendations regarding oil changes. While not really happy with VW's report
it was "normal", I was resigned to the fact that it was just something to live
with, but now I'm a bit worried by the recent jump. Car is nearing end of
powertrain warranty...52000miles, so I am real worried that if this pattern
continues, I'll be caught paying for a new engine.

--
Tony Bad

02 Jetta Wagon
01 Eurovan MV
91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
86 Jetta
79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now)
Schwinn Continental 10 Speed
Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

Tools for changing front wheel bearings on golf 2 and 3's, anyone? Basil VW water cooled 1 November 2nd 04 10:57 PM
Golf vs. GTI dmkozak VW water cooled 15 October 9th 04 08:25 PM
2 Door Golf TDI Mr.Eddy VW water cooled 12 October 8th 04 01:03 AM