EGR VALVE!

Old March 23rd 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
the_lower_class_brat

Default EGR VALVE!

Okay so I found that supposively the "egr" wire has a screw shoved in
it, and at the dist cap where theres usually a thing there (checked my
freinds mk2 out) is missing, would this cause the engine to not run
properly, also there is a small hole drilled in the air box near the
gas dis, someones obviously been playing with the car. Anyways the car
starts runs for about a minute then slowly dies, woudl this be the
problem, and if you try to go in gear underload forget it.

Old March 23rd 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
the_lower_class_brat

On Mar 23, 3:32 pm, "the_lower_class_brat"
> wrote:
> Okay so I found that supposively the "egr" wire has a screw shoved in
> it, and at the dist cap where theres usually a thing there (checked my
> freinds mk2 out) is missing, would this cause the engine to not run
> properly, also there is a small hole drilled in the air box near the
> gas dis, someones obviously been playing with the car. Anyways the car
> starts runs for about a minute then slowly dies, woudl this be the
> problem, and if you try to go in gear underload forget it.

The screw is shoved in the entrance that would normally go into where
the dist cap is, but that part is missing.

Old March 24th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On 23 Mar 2007 12:33:58 -0700, "the_lower_class_brat" >
wrote:

>On Mar 23, 3:32 pm, "the_lower_class_brat"
> wrote:
>> Okay so I found that supposively the "egr" wire has a screw shoved in
>> it, and at the dist cap where theres usually a thing there (checked my
>> freinds mk2 out) is missing, would this cause the engine to not run
>> properly, also there is a small hole drilled in the air box near the
>> gas dis, someones obviously been playing with the car. Anyways the car
>> starts runs for about a minute then slowly dies, woudl this be the
>> problem, and if you try to go in gear underload forget it.

>The screw is shoved in the entrance that would normally go into where
>the dist cap is, but that part is missing.

this URL is for a picture of the vacuum advance unit attached to the distributor.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...cuum%20Advance

Is the screw in the the vacuum tube?
It sounds like someone just eliminated the egr system and this probably
is not the problem.
Does the fuel pump in the gas tank run? Take the cap off and put your ear
to the filler tube and have somebody turn the key to the run position.
The power wire to that pump also supplies power to make your fuel gauge
work.
Old March 24th 07, 11:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

It sounds like they disconnected the timing advance and the egr vacuum
control. The timing advance would not affect your idle, or starting, the egr
could make a crappy idle, loss of power, overheating, or poor gas mileage.
It depends on if the vacuum opens or closes the egr valve, and if the washer
is missing inside the egr valve. but it would still start. The egr wire is
probably a vacuum line. All vacuum lines must be plugged or hooked up, If
you put your finger on the end while the car is running , if it sucks your
finger it is a vacuum line. There will be no vacuum with the car off. Also
see if there is a vacuum drawing on the car under the hood which shows
where the lines go to. A leak or open line will make your car run crappily
and could affect starting. The hole in the air box is not important.

Old March 24th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
the_lower_class_brat

On Mar 24, 7:26 am, "none2u" > wrote:
> It sounds like they disconnected the timing advance and the egr vacuum
> control. The timing advance would not affect your idle, or starting, the egr
> could make a crappy idle, loss of power, overheating, or poor gas mileage.
> It depends on if the vacuum opens or closes the egr valve, and if the washer
> is missing inside the egr valve. but it would still start. The egr wire is
> probably a vacuum line. All vacuum lines must be plugged or hooked up, If
> you put your finger on the end while the car is running , if it sucks your
> finger it is a vacuum line. There will be no vacuum with the car off. Also
> see if there is a vacuum drawing on the car under the hood which shows
> where the lines go to. A leak or open line will make your car run crappily
> and could affect starting. The hole in the air box is not important.
>
> > wrote in ...
> > On 23 Mar 2007 12:33:58 -0700, "the_lower_class_brat"
> > >
> > wrote:

> >>The screw is shoved in the entrance that would normally go into where
> >>the dist cap is, but that part is missing.

> > this URL is for a picture of the vacuum advance unit attached to the
> > distributor.

> >http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...t55wlnwxa55ft0...

> > Is the screw in the the vacuum tube?
> > It sounds like someone just eliminated the egr system and this probably
> > is not the problem.
> > Does the fuel pump in the gas tank run? Take the cap off and put your ear
> > to the filler tube and have somebody turn the key to the run position.
> > The power wire to that pump also supplies power to make your fuel gauge
> > work.

It's not in the air box exactly though, it's on the metal that on top
of it, that the fuel dist plugs into.
What color wire goes to the dist?I got 2 and if I change them it makes
no difference

Old March 24th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
the_lower_class_brat

On Mar 24, 10:21 am, "the_lower_class_brat"
> wrote:
> On Mar 24, 7:26 am, "none2u" > wrote:
>

> > It sounds like they disconnected the timing advance and the egr vacuum
> > control. The timing advance would not affect your idle, or starting, the egr
> > could make a crappy idle, loss of power, overheating, or poor gas mileage.
> > It depends on if the vacuum opens or closes the egr valve, and if the washer
> > is missing inside the egr valve. but it would still start. The egr wire is
> > probably a vacuum line. All vacuum lines must be plugged or hooked up, If
> > you put your finger on the end while the car is running , if it sucks your
> > finger it is a vacuum line. There will be no vacuum with the car off. Also
> > see if there is a vacuum drawing on the car under the hood which shows
> > where the lines go to. A leak or open line will make your car run crappily
> > and could affect starting. The hole in the air box is not important.

> > > wrote in ...

> > > this URL is for a picture of the vacuum advance unit attached to the
> > > distributor.

> > >http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...t55wlnwxa55ft0...

> > > Is the screw in the the vacuum tube?
> > > It sounds like someone just eliminated the egr system and this probably
> > > is not the problem.
> > > Does the fuel pump in the gas tank run? Take the cap off and put your ear
> > > to the filler tube and have somebody turn the key to the run position.
> > > The power wire to that pump also supplies power to make your fuel gauge
> > > work.

> It's not in the air box exactly though, it's on the metal that on top
> of it, that the fuel dist plugs into.
> What color wire goes to the dist?I got 2 and if I change them it makes
> no difference

Also it starts and runs but you can't floor it or it chokes, cant rev
past 5k. once you get to 5 k you can keep it there for about 5
seconds, and its slowly goes down no matter how much gas you give it.
So this makes me to believe that this is the problem. Also I get some
sort of ping clickety sound once and a while, sounds like an engine
knock but I'm not sure.

Old March 24th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On 24 Mar 2007 07:21:15 -0700, "the_lower_class_brat" >
wrote:

>What color wire goes to the dist?I got 2 and if I change them it makes
>no difference

other than the coil and four spark wires , you have a hall effect transducer
in the base of the distributor , which in all my schematics have three wires.
from a 86 golf schematic :
all three are 18 gauge bk/w , br/bk , g ( the green wire does have a white
stripe after the connector ( the wiring to the electronic ignition module )

Old March 24th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
the_lower_class_brat

On Mar 24, 10:52 am, wrote:
> On 24 Mar 2007 07:21:15 -0700, "the_lower_class_brat" >
> wrote:
>

> >What color wire goes to the dist?I got 2 and if I change them it makes
> >no difference

> other than the coil and four spark wires , you have a hall effect transducer
> in the base of the distributor , which in all my schematics have three wires.
> from a 86 golf schematic :
> all three are 18 gauge bk/w , br/bk , g ( the green wire does have a white
> stripe after the connector ( the wiring to the electronic ignition module )

Okay because now I have 2 wires at the coil a yellow and a green, and
at the base of the dist I have 2 brownish wires one with what appears
to be a red stripe going to the dist cap, but when I switch them up it
has no effect what so ever. now when I try to start it I need to pump
the gas pedal.

Old March 24th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default EGR VALVE! - hall.jpg (0/1)

On 24 Mar 2007 08:00:47 -0700, "the_lower_class_brat" >
wrote:

>On Mar 24, 10:52 am, wrote:
>> On 24 Mar 2007 07:21:15 -0700, "the_lower_class_brat" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >What color wire goes to the dist?I got 2 and if I change them it makes
>> >no difference

>> other than the coil and four spark wires , you have a hall effect transducer
>> in the base of the distributor , which in all my schematics have three wires.
>> from a 86 golf schematic :
>> all three are 18 gauge bk/w , br/bk , g ( the green wire does have a white
>> stripe after the connector ( the wiring to the electronic ignition module )

>Okay because now I have 2 wires at the coil a yellow and a green, and
>at the base of the dist I have 2 brownish wires one with what appears
>to be a red stripe going to the dist cap, but when I switch them up it
>has no effect what so ever. now when I try to start it I need to pump
>the gas pedal.

test

Old March 24th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On 24 Mar 2007 08:00:47 -0700, "the_lower_class_brat" >
wrote:

The picture i posted is very typical of all hall sensors. the plug with the terminals
is what you should see/have at the base of your distribtor. Three wires going
from that plug ( on the dist. ) to the electonic ignition module ( pins 3, 5 , 6 ).
Out of pin 1 of the electronic ignition module a green/black wire goes to terminal
1 on your coil. The other yellow wire on your coil goes to your ignition switch.