Ive macgyverd my c3

Old June 5th 05, 11:51 PM
Larry & Michele

Default Ive macgyverd my c3

Well guys,
Ive finally lost my mind. lol. My 79 has been running warm up to 220 and
higher, ive replaced all the goodies, and ive ordered the air dam which had
been broken off by previous owner.
I really wanted to dive it today, but with the heat index at 105 i knew id
be torturing the car. I ended up taking the remnants of the old air dam as a
guide..and making one out of a sheet of paneling, bolted it up, sprayed it
black, and off i went. After 20 minutes on interstate getting up over 3400
rpms, I could barely get it to heat over 190! Now i know i have to put the
real one on when it gets here, but dammit it worked..lol
I also want to put a front spoiler on and have been looking at the corvette
america catalog and im stumped..whats the diff between indy and american,
and the ezfits for 120 bucks..are they cuz they are cheap?? Id love to post
a photo of my toy but i know the mods dont like it..is there sumplace i can
post to share it with you?
Larry In VaBeach

Old June 6th 05, 03:04 PM
Bob G.

Can not help youOn Sun, 05 Jun 2005 22:51:34 GMT, "Larry & Michele"
> wrote:

>Well guys,
>Ive finally lost my mind. lol. My 79 has been running warm up to 220 and
>higher, ive replaced all the goodies, and ive ordered the air dam which had
>been broken off by previous owner.
>I really wanted to dive it today, but with the heat index at 105 i knew id
>be torturing the car. I ended up taking the remnants of the old air dam as a
>guide..and making one out of a sheet of paneling, bolted it up, sprayed it
>black, and off i went. After 20 minutes on interstate getting up over 3400
>rpms, I could barely get it to heat over 190! Now i know i have to put the
>real one on when it gets here, but dammit it worked..lol
>I also want to put a front spoiler on and have been looking at the corvette
>america catalog and im stumped..whats the diff between indy and american,
>and the ezfits for 120 bucks..are they cuz they are cheap?? Id love to post
>a photo of my toy but i know the mods dont like it..is there sumplace i can
>post to share it with you?
> Larry In VaBeach

"WE" told you that that little front spoiler is very important....for
cooling... and I bet most of us learned just how important the same
way you did...

I do not have a Corvette America catalog around ( I looked and the
only one I found was a little thin version) ) so I really can not tell
you the difference...

But I purchased my 79 in 1988 and it had the factory "indy" spoilers
on it from the factory ... I did replace both with aftermarket
fiberglass spoilers BUT within a few years tossed them in the trash
and went back to the 3 piece front spoiler and a urathane rear
spoiler..

If any of the 3 are 3 piece that is what I would buy....just easier to
install and also much easier to fix if you like hitting curbs as much
as I did...

The rear spoiler from the factory fix like crap... the fiberglass
replacement I purchased was even worst...returned it and got a factory
urathne spoiler which fit "almost" as bad as the original...If you are
thinking about replacing the back I suggest you look at a few 78
pacecars and notice how "good" the originals fit... lol... The rear
spoiler is now my conversation piece... since it has a slight "hump"
in it that moves as the sun shine heats up the spoiler...park the car
in the morning at a show and "we" start taking bets as to where the
hump will be later in the afternoon when the awards are given out,.,..

I had mine out yesterday....temp was in the mid 80's and the car ran
about 190 all day long...

Bob Griffiths
64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes