First oil change. When?

Old May 23rd 05, 07:19 PM
Ron Stewart

Default First oil change. When?

The chief mechanic at the dealer where I bought my 2005 coupe recommended
that I get my first oil change at 1000 miles. Is this necessary? He is a
long time friend of mine and I have bought a 1987 Vet and 2 Olds Auroras
there so I sort of trust his wisdom.
--
Ron Stewart
Santa Rosa, Calif.

Old May 23rd 05, 09:04 PM
Charles Spitzer

what does it say in your owners manual?

. ..

Old May 24th 05, 01:36 AM
Bob I

Did the dealer give you a certificate for the oil change? If so then why
not? On the other hand the block isn't carrying a load of sand like the
iron ones did and there is hardly zip for wear products in todays engine
designs.

Old May 28th 05, 09:48 PM
PM

My 2004 manual said it didnt need changing until the service light came
on...that was 7500 miles.

Phil

Old May 29th 05, 01:47 AM

I changed mine at 1800 miles. Wanted to see how different and
difficult to do. Its the same. Will wait until DIC tells me to do the
next one.
If you are getting a free oil change why not do it? Maybe there are
metal shavings that got in, though not likely.

Old June 1st 05, 09:13 PM
Rick

I just bought a 2005 C6 Coupe and the dealer was adamant that I not change
the oil initially until at least 3000 and said it wouldn't hurt to go to
7500. I have always changed the oil at 3000 and less on the first oil
change but the dealer said with Mobil 1 the oil is hardly used at less than
3000. I double checked this with my son who is an engineer at General
Motors and he said definitely don't change it before 3000 and then after go
by the sevice reminder.

Rick Tavel
Gold Canyon, Arizona

Old June 2nd 05, 05:23 AM
Ron Stewart

Rick,
Your reply makes good sense to me so I think this is what I'll do. I don't
get alot of miles on it even tho I drive it almost every day.
Thanks,
Ron Stewart
Santa Rosa, Calif.