Honda OEM wiper blades, any better than aftermarket?

Old March 24th 09, 11:17 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

Default Honda OEM wiper blades, any better than aftermarket?

Dave Kelsen > wrote in
g.com:

> On 3/24/2009 3:37 PM Tegger spake these words of knowledge:
>
>> Dave Kelsen > wrote in
>> g.com:
>>

>>> Dave is right about the cost; $14 each at my dealer. The cheapest
>>> Amco wiper refills at Wal-Mart are $5 for the 18" side, $6 for the
>>> 26" side.

>> OK, $14 each, then. I stand corrected. But mine are $5 each. My last
>> invoice (with 10% discount because I spend so much there) shows $4.95
>> each.
>>
>> Still, I've had way too much annoying trouble with aftermarket over
>> the years, mostly smearing and squeaking. That's the reason I stopped
>> (in disgust) using aftermarket and went back to OEM. Best decision I
>> ever made.
>>
>> If aftermarket is working for you, go for it. Too often they did NOT
>> work for me. Of if they did, it was only briefly before the streak &
>> squeak came back.
>>
>> In any case, wiper rubbers should be changed twice a year for optimum
>> performance.

> Of course they should, but I change mine (as most folks, I imagine)
> when they bug me enough to do so. Probably once a year, or so.

Most people I've seen change their wipers whenever the rubbers start
peeling into CheeseStrings, or whenever they can't see out the
windshield anymore, whichever comes last. Two, three years, maybe more.

> But I agree about when they *should* be changed. ;^)

An update here, regarding my boss's '03 CR-V.

He went to some Jelly Lube quick-change place yesterday for an engine
oil swap. The monkeys there badgered him into replacing his wipers with
new ones (from them, of course). This he allowed, just to get them off
his back (monkey on his back, ha ha). He did not actually use the wipers
until this morning. He tells me that the first time he turned the wipers
on they were getting tangled up in themselves during their sweep, so he
got a pair of cutters and snipped off the end of one of the wipers,
after which the assembly flew apart when next used.

Of course, Jelly Lube's lower primates did not give my boss back his
expensive OEM wiper blades, so there's no ready fallback.

Gonna look at this myself tomorrow and see what's precisely wrong.

I LOVE AFTERMARKET!

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 25th 09, 01:11 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Both are about once a year deals for me. But I was able to get refills
(rubbers only, natural rubber) for about $5 each with coupon. Without
coupon? Then it's a little known WalMart brand (not Anco, Trico, etc)
IIRC ~$3-4 each (natural rubber). Nitrile rubber ones stink.

Old March 25th 09, 01:16 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dan C

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:37:47 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> In any case, wiper rubbers should be changed twice a year for optimum
> performance.

To be technical, they should be changed *daily* for truly *optimum*
performance.

Need help?: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/ubuntu.jpg
Ahhhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg
Old March 25th 09, 01:21 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

Dan C > wrote in newsan.2009.03.25.01.17.30
@moria.lan:

> On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:37:47 +0000, Tegger wrote:
>
>> In any case, wiper rubbers should be changed twice a year for optimum
>> performance.

> To be technical, they should be changed *daily* for truly *optimum*
> performance.

I can be even sillier: Change them every sweep. ;^)

Old March 25th 09, 02:06 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
E. Meyer

On 3/24/09 3:28 PM, in article ,
"Tegger" > wrote:

> daveed > wrote in :
>

>> We had this discussion about a week ago and Tegger you called the
>> price at $5. I stopped by the Honda dealer in Manassas. Retail for
>> both sides were $13. That seemed to be pricey. Maybe you get a
>> special rate, but I don't.

> Noted, thanks.
>
> Maybe your wipers are longer and more expensive than mine. Mine are just a
> bit over $5 each, no discount.
>
> I still think $13 is pretty good for OEM quality versus aftermarket
> quality. When people complain about their wipers, they're almost always
> using aftermarket.

Last time I needed wipers for the '06 CR-V I got the rubbers from Majestic
Honda (along with some other stuff) for $3.22 each. If the local dealer is
price gouging, the internet is your friend.

Old March 25th 09, 02:38 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_3_]

no ****.
Old March 25th 09, 03:29 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe[_125_]

On 2009-03-24, Dave Kelsen > wrote:
> On 3/24/2009 3:37 PM Tegger spake these words of knowledge:
>
> Of course they should, but I change mine (as most folks, I imagine) when
> they bug me enough to do so. Probably once a year, or so. But I agree
> about when they *should* be changed. ;^)

Wiper blades on the new model Hondas cost about $50 for the pair. I
change them no sooner than they absolutely need it... ;-)

--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
Old March 25th 09, 03:34 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_3_]

Joe wrote:
> On 2009-03-24, Dave Kelsen > wrote:
>> On 3/24/2009 3:37 PM Tegger spake these words of knowledge:
>>
>> Of course they should, but I change mine (as most folks, I imagine) when
>> they bug me enough to do so. Probably once a year, or so. But I agree
>> about when they *should* be changed. ;^)

> Wiper blades on the new model Hondas cost about $50 for the pair. I
> change them no sooner than they absolutely need it... ;-)

majestic honda has wiper rubbers for the 2009 accord listed at $3.22.
that's $6.44 the pair. shipping extra.
Old March 25th 09, 03:59 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Greg Campbell[_2_]

techman41973 wrote:

> I have a Honda Accord nearing 300K. It could be that my winshield has
> too many small pitts that make my windshield wipers wear out quickly
> (2-months). I clean them once a month with rubbing alcohol and polish
> my winshield with newspaper every 2-weeks or so.
> I have always used aftermarket blades. But I see no difference in
> longevity between the more expensive and cheaper brands/models.
> I thought about trying the OEM blades, but they are pricey at the
> dealer.
> Has anyone noticed any longevity differences in Honda OEM blades vs.
> aftermarket?

These threads don't address the "OEM vs" issue, but do offer some
information on specific brands, and their effectiveness and longevity.

http://stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8371
http://stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11141
http://stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2924
http://stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14834

Old March 25th 09, 04:47 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe[_125_]

On 2009-03-25, jim beam > wrote:
> Joe wrote:
>> On 2009-03-24, Dave Kelsen > wrote:
>>> On 3/24/2009 3:37 PM Tegger spake these words of knowledge:
>>>
>>> Of course they should, but I change mine (as most folks, I imagine) when
>>> they bug me enough to do so. Probably once a year, or so. But I agree
>>> about when they *should* be changed. ;^)

>> Wiper blades on the new model Hondas cost about $50 for the pair. I
>> change them no sooner than they absolutely need it... ;-)
>>

> majestic honda has wiper rubbers for the 2009 accord listed at $3.22.
> that's $6.44 the pair. shipping extra.

2006 Civic Si, Passenger Blade 25.62, Driver is not listed for some
reason, but being the longer of the two, and with my experience, a
couple bucks more...

The local dealers did not "carry" the refill blades, just the
assembly, and I needed the assembly anyhow, as the stupid clips don't
last a damn on these things. The passenger blade clip broke after a
year.

Of course, Majestic sells THAT, too... ;-)

I ended up buying Trico's that have lasted almost 2 years now, but are
just starting to streak, so are slated for replacement...

--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
"Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around ****ed off all the
time..." - Danny, American History X

Wiper Blades: Best ? Robert11[_3_] Technology 4 November 29th 08 04:08 PM
Wiper blades Terry Driving 12 October 10th 06 12:09 AM
73 wiper blades? LeRoy Prosic VW air cooled 1 April 19th 06 01:36 PM
wiper blades Brian Foster Jeep 21 March 14th 06 04:28 PM
Wiper Blades Gary Mazda 16 January 14th 05 10:48 PM