Pickup Trucks and male discontent

Old June 24th 06, 01:37 PM posted to soc.men,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.sport.nascar

Default Pickup Trucks and male discontent

Julia wrote:
> On 2006-06-23 22:20:04 -0400, Scott en Aztlán >
> said:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:10:10 -0700, Hank
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Visit any urban office parking area and you will notice the large
>>> number of pickups. Though the owners will give any number of reasons
>>> for owning the truck, generally there is no abiding need for same.
>>> But the urban White male has become so hemmed in by feminism,
>>> multiculturalism, chubby wives and lazy children, that it's no wonder
>>> he seeks some tie to the soil, something masculine.

>> A Corvette is more masculine than a ****ing pickup truck. Arf arf arf.

> LMAO... See a man in a Corvette and you know he bought it to compensate
> for his own shortcomings in another area (either real or imagined)....
> See a man in a pickup truck and you know you're looking at a man who
> more than likely has it all together. Sure the guy in the Corvette MAY
> have more money, but there's gonna be a lot of other baggage that goes
> along with it. I'd take the man in the pickup over the one in a
> "performance machine" any day.

judging people by their vehicles much, are we?

Personally, I don't mind people driving whatever they want to, the
problem that I have is people seem to pick a vehicle based more on their
perceptions of how others see them rather than the intrinsic qualities
of the vehicle. A guy who buys a 'vette because he likes the way it
drives is probably an OK guy; a guy that bought it because he thinks it
makes him look cool is a ******. Likewise with the pickup truck - some
people buy them because they need to haul or tow stuff, some people
think it makes them look tough and rugged.

Practicality seems to be about priority number 50 on the list of things
people consider when they purchase a vehicle these days... it's all
about flash and image...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old June 24th 06, 02:50 PM posted to soc.men,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.sport.nascar

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Julia wrote:
> > On 2006-06-23 22:20:04 -0400, Scott en Aztlán >
> > said:
> >
> >> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:10:10 -0700, Hank

> >> A Corvette is more masculine than a ****ing pickup truck. Arf arf arf.

> > LMAO... See a man in a Corvette and you know he bought it to compensate
> > for his own shortcomings in another area (either real or imagined)....
> > See a man in a pickup truck and you know you're looking at a man who
> > more than likely has it all together. Sure the guy in the Corvette MAY
> > have more money, but there's gonna be a lot of other baggage that goes
> > along with it. I'd take the man in the pickup over the one in a
> > "performance machine" any day.
> >

> judging people by their vehicles much, are we?
>
> Personally, I don't mind people driving whatever they want to, the
> problem that I have is people seem to pick a vehicle based more on their
> perceptions of how others see them rather than the intrinsic qualities
> of the vehicle. A guy who buys a 'vette because he likes the way it
> drives is probably an OK guy; a guy that bought it because he thinks it
> makes him look cool is a ******. Likewise with the pickup truck - some
> people buy them because they need to haul or tow stuff, some people
> think it makes them look tough and rugged.
>
> Practicality seems to be about priority number 50 on the list of things
> people consider when they purchase a vehicle these days... it's all
> about flash and image...
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
> http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Right on!!!

Harry K

Old June 24th 06, 02:57 PM posted to soc.men,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.sport.nascar

On 2006-06-24 08:37:35 -0400, Nate Nagel > said:

> Julia wrote:
>> On 2006-06-23 22:20:04 -0400, Scott en Aztlán > said:
>>
>>> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:10:10 -0700, Hank

>>> A Corvette is more masculine than a ****ing pickup truck. Arf arf arf.

>> LMAO... See a man in a Corvette and you know he bought it to compensate
>> for his own shortcomings in another area (either real or imagined)....
>> See a man in a pickup truck and you know you're looking at a man who
>> more than likely has it all together. Sure the guy in the Corvette MAY
>> have more money, but there's gonna be a lot of other baggage that goes
>> along with it. I'd take the man in the pickup over the one in a
>> "performance machine" any day.
>>

> judging people by their vehicles much, are we?

I'm just sticking with the theme of the post. I'm generally very open
minded. There are exceptions to any "rule" ~ even the ones I stated
above). I'm willing to give most people the opportunity to show their
true colors.

> Personally, I don't mind people driving whatever they want to, the
> problem that I have is people seem to pick a vehicle based more on
> their perceptions of how others see them rather than the intrinsic
> qualities of the vehicle. A guy who buys a 'vette because he likes the
> way it drives is probably an OK guy; a guy that bought it because he
> thinks it makes him look cool is a ******. Likewise with the pickup
> truck - some people buy them because they need to haul or tow stuff,
> some people think it makes them look tough and rugged.
>
> Practicality seems to be about priority number 50 on the list of things
> people consider when they purchase a vehicle these days... it's all
> about flash and image...
>
> nate

I don't disagree with you, completely.... it kinda is all about "flash
and image". But I see FAR more men driving Corvettes (or any other
performance car) that are clearly doing it for the "flash and image"
than those driving them for practicality... and I think many of the
ones who claim to be driving it because they "like the way it drives"
are actually only kidding themselves ~ it's really about the image for
them too.

OTOH, where I live, men who drive pickup trucks generally need to be
driving them for work related reasons. You will see an occasional guy
doing it as an attempt to obtain an undeserved "tough and rugged"
image, and you're correct ~ they generally have just as many
personality issues as the performance machine drivers... but again,
those guys are fairly easy to spot ~ and avoid.

--
"I'm so glad our paths crossed this time today ~ on our way into the
night".... ($1 to DMB from "Granny")

http://spaces.msn.com/jpchick83/
http://www.geocities.com/jpchick83/

Old June 24th 06, 04:50 PM posted to soc.men,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.sport.nascar

"Julia" > wrote in message news:2006062409572016807-

> But I see FAR more men driving Corvettes (or any other performance car)
> that are clearly doing it for the "flash and image" than those driving
> them for practicality...

Is there any practical reason to drive a true performance car on a day to
day basis? In what circumstances of normal, street legal operation have you
the need for this level of capability?

Old June 24th 06, 07:25 PM posted to soc.men,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.sport.nascar

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote
> BMW is a great example of this. Many people will choose a 3-series
> over, say, an Acura TL because the BMW name has more "prestige" - even
> though the Acura is a much better car overall.

The Acura is a FWD, nose heavy, understeering, luxo-ride, gratuitously
styled car. It doesn't come with AWD, has a vibrating B6 rather than
smooth I6, you can't get a manual transmission without the sports package,
shifter is sloppy, it has bad lights - even the HID version is worse than
BMW's,
and you can't get one without a sunroof.

It does have a better NAV system (but I don't have one anyway and
wouldn't want to pay for one - but I don't have that option in the Acura).
The dealerships service departments are better than BMW. That's
about it.

Oh, BTW. Had an NSX; lovely car and almost worth every penny.

FloydR ;->

Old June 24th 06, 08:56 PM posted to soc.men,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.sport.nascar

John Gaquin wrote:
> "Julia" > wrote in message news:2006062409572016807-
>
> > But I see FAR more men driving Corvettes (or any other performance car)
> > that are clearly doing it for the "flash and image" than those driving
> > them for practicality...

> Is there any practical reason to drive a true performance car on a day to
> day basis? In what circumstances of normal, street legal operation have you
> the need for this level of capability?

Wellllll.... I guess I would fall under that category, as up until
about a year ago my daily driver was a Porsche 944. I still drive it
every chance I get. I find it practical because it's small enough that
it's much easier to maneuver than my current DD Impala, and I also feel
safer driving it because its braking and cornering limits are so much
higher, making it easier to avoid the morons gunning for me every day.
And yes, I just quite simply feel more comfortable driving it than I do
a floaty land yacht.

You could also ask whether there's a real need for airbags because
people need them so rarely. Some people feel safer with airbags, I
feel safer with a performance-oriented car. Diff'rent strokes etc. I
know there are people who couldn't stand driving it because of the
stiff ride, but I figure it will be another 30 years or so before I get
to that point

nate

Old June 24th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

> Scott en Aztlán said in rec.autos.driving:
> One wonders what Julia drives. Someone who is so hung up on image
> probably drives a Prius.

Julia? Not too far off from Judy, is it? Just something to make you go
hmmmmmmm........

Old June 24th 06, 09:34 PM posted to soc.men,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.sport.nascar

In article <1151178973.050420.63990
@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>, N8N says...

> John Gaquin wrote:
> > "Julia" > wrote in message news:2006062409572016807-
> >
> > > But I see FAR more men driving Corvettes (or any other performance car)
> > > that are clearly doing it for the "flash and image" than those driving
> > > them for practicality...

> > Is there any practical reason to drive a true performance car on a day to
> > day basis? In what circumstances of normal, street legal operation have you
> > the need for this level of capability?

> Wellllll.... I guess I would fall under that category, as up until
> about a year ago my daily driver was a Porsche 944. I still drive it
> every chance I get. I find it practical because it's small enough that
> it's much easier to maneuver than my current DD Impala, and I also feel
> safer driving it because its braking and cornering limits are so much
> higher, making it easier to avoid the morons gunning for me every day.
> And yes, I just quite simply feel more comfortable driving it than I do
> a floaty land yacht.
>
> You could also ask whether there's a real need for airbags because
> people need them so rarely. Some people feel safer with airbags, I
> feel safer with a performance-oriented car. Diff'rent strokes etc. I
> know there are people who couldn't stand driving it because of the
> stiff ride, but I figure it will be another 30 years or so before I get
> to that point

I think it was Brock Yates at Car & Driver who suggested that if
the gov't really wanted to reduce the carnage on the highways,
they would require a bayonet in the center of the steering wheel
rather than an airbag. His thinking being that the airbag gives
folks a false sense of security, whereas the point of the
bayonet being a couple of inches from your chest would keep you
fully aware of the danger inherent in a collision and would
encourage defensive driving. *Very* defensive.

--

"I never knew there were corners in time
until I was told to go stand in one"
Old June 25th 06, 02:54 AM posted to soc.men,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.sport.nascar

"N8N" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> John Gaquin wrote:
> > "Julia" > wrote in message news:2006062409572016807-
> >
> > > But I see FAR more men driving Corvettes (or any other performance

car)
> > > that are clearly doing it for the "flash and image" than those driving
> > > them for practicality...

> > Is there any practical reason to drive a true performance car on a day

> > day basis? In what circumstances of normal, street legal operation have

you
> > the need for this level of capability?

> Wellllll.... I guess I would fall under that category, as up until
> about a year ago my daily driver was a Porsche 944. I still drive it
> every chance I get. I find it practical because it's small enough that
> it's much easier to maneuver than my current DD Impala, and I also feel
> safer driving it because its braking and cornering limits are so much
> higher, making it easier to avoid the morons gunning for me every day.
> And yes, I just quite simply feel more comfortable driving it than I do
> a floaty land yacht.

Absolutely agreed! I drive a Miata 2000, SE for the same reasons. I have a
3 hour commute each day and the road is very twisty and curvy. My
performance car hugs the road and handles very well. So far, I have 70,000
miles on it and counting.

Marg

Old June 25th 06, 04:10 AM posted to soc.men,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.sport.nascar

In article > ,
pandora says...

> "N8N" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > John Gaquin wrote:

> car)
> > >
> > > Is there any practical reason to drive a true performance car on a day

> > > day basis? In what circumstances of normal, street legal operation have

> you
> > > the need for this level of capability?

> > Wellllll.... I guess I would fall under that category, as up until
> > about a year ago my daily driver was a Porsche 944. I still drive it
> > every chance I get. I find it practical because it's small enough that
> > it's much easier to maneuver than my current DD Impala, and I also feel
> > safer driving it because its braking and cornering limits are so much
> > higher, making it easier to avoid the morons gunning for me every day.
> > And yes, I just quite simply feel more comfortable driving it than I do
> > a floaty land yacht.

> Absolutely agreed! I drive a Miata 2000, SE for the same reasons. I have a
> 3 hour commute each day and the road is very twisty and curvy. My
> performance car hugs the road and handles very well. So far, I have 70,000
> miles on it and counting.
>
> Marg

Japansese sports cars ride like trucks. *g*

Italian is the only real way to go.

(If you can afford to put your mechanics kids thru college.)

http://www.alfagtv6.com/