iRacing rip off

Old March 13th 09, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

Default iRacing rip off

(Boofhead) wrote:

> It should be off by default.

I agree, but I think it's probably unfair to criticise iRacing for this business
decision. After all, what kind of message does it give out if they automatically
assume you won't renew?

Having said that, I think it would do no harm to their PR to automatically email
people close to the renewal date, reminding them of their choices. That would be
good customer service.

Andrew McP

Old March 13th 09, 11:56 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
George Jetson[_2_]

Actually the business model for "opt out" subscriptions is based upon a
certain percentage of consumers not canceling their subscription. It has
gained popularity
among internet subscriptions because a good percentage of subscribers are
children using their parents' credit card numbers, who understand only the
term "FREE". I've never understood why something truly "FREE" should require
a credit card number in the first place.

Time magazine took it in the butt for $10 million with their "FREE" but
ultimately "opt out" subscriptions. We all know what a huge fan of the legal
profession the folks at iRacing are.

I'd suggest anyone who got hooked with this "opt out" scam contact their
state's consumer protection division which costs nothing.

http://www.consumeraction.gov/state.shtml

Old March 13th 09, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Juarez[_2_]

"Andrew MacPherson" > wrote in message
> I'm not going to argue with you about that. I was just trying to be
> constructive in
> my criticism. While I may dislike many aspects of the iRacing service, I
> do still
> want it to succeed, because I enjoy the code at the heart of it.
>
> Andrew McP

****ing off people isn't going to help them and charging more than all other
online games certainly doesn't make me want to sign up.

Old March 13th 09, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Juarez[_2_]

"APLer" > wrote in message
> Hey, you sign up for something that gets billed monthly and don't cancel
> it, of *course* they're going to bill you.

It was supposed to be a free demo and not a monthly bill. Negative billing
is illegal where I live.

Old March 14th 09, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

Oh stop. When you signed up you conveniently overlooked the terms
(that are CLEARLY laid out)? If you indeed that slow did you notice
you gave them a credit card number? If something is "free" there is no
credit card involved. It was a subscription and the first month was
free of charge. If you don't cancel you subscription continues. Just
like all the "free" magazine offers out there..

Old March 14th 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Andrew MacPherson wrote:

> Having said that, I think it would do no harm to their PR to automatically email
> people close to the renewal date, reminding them of their choices. That would be
> good customer service.

I think that would be good. At least with iRacing you can do it all
online. With many subscription service like TV, cable & phone you can
order all manner of upgrades and arrange for engineers to come and fill
your home with goodies with a few clicks of a mouse. But if you want to
reduce your plan or cancel you have to phone up and prepare to sit in a
queue...

Cheers
Tony
Old March 15th 09, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Juarez[_2_]

"GaryR" > wrote in message
news

> Oh stop. When you signed up you conveniently overlooked the terms
> (that are CLEARLY laid out)? If you indeed that slow did you notice
> you gave them a credit card number? If something is "free" there is no
> credit card involved. It was a subscription and the first month was
> free of charge. If you don't cancel you subscription continues. Just
> like all the "free" magazine offers out there..

I never signed up for anything. I was supporting the OP is all. And those
"free" magazines should be made illegal too. Pussies like you never do
anything to make a positive change in the world and just accepts things as
they are.

Old March 16th 09, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

"Juarez" > wrote in
:

> "GaryR" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> Oh stop. When you signed up you conveniently overlooked the terms
>> (that are CLEARLY laid out)? If you indeed that slow did you notice
>> you gave them a credit card number? If something is "free" there is no
>> credit card involved. It was a subscription and the first month was
>> free of charge. If you don't cancel you subscription continues. Just
>> like all the "free" magazine offers out there..

> I never signed up for anything. I was supporting the OP is all. And
> those "free" magazines should be made illegal too. Pussies like you
> never do anything to make a positive change in the world and just
> accepts things as they are.

Well, we're smart enough to read a contract before we give out our credit
card number. Something which seems beyond you.