head re-placement

Old July 27th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
silent_angel

Default head re-placement

I need help someone! I have an '84 Dodge 600 convertible with a 2.2
liter engine. I need to replace or at least remove, repair, and
replace the head. Where do I start and what do I need to remove as I
go? I have tools, and am somewhat mechanically inclined as I do work
on motorcycles but no usually cars.

Old July 27th 06, 10:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"silent_angel" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I need help someone! I have an '84 Dodge 600 convertible with a 2.2
> liter engine. I need to replace or at least remove, repair, and
> replace the head. Where do I start and what do I need to remove as I
> go? I have tools, and am somewhat mechanically inclined as I do work
> on motorcycles but no usually cars.

You should start by getting a good service and repair manual. It will have
all the information you need to accomplish the task and if you run into a
problem you can post here for help with resolving it. You can search google
for many available resources, For instance this might be a good one:

http://www.books4cars.com/result3.ht...eFie ld2.y=10

good luck with your project.

--
Disclaimer:
Due to the nature of solving problems over the internet being mostly

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old July 27th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Daryl Bryant[_3_]

"silent_angel" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I need help someone! I have an '84 Dodge 600 convertible with a 2.2
> liter engine. I need to replace or at least remove, repair, and
> replace the head. Where do I start and what do I need to remove as I
> go? I have tools, and am somewhat mechanically inclined as I do work
> on motorcycles but no usually cars.

You're going to need a torque wrench and of course the head torque specs!
You're going to want to mark all the vacuum connectors. I'd remove the hood
before you begin - Although perhaps is not a requirement! If you have a
digital cam - might be a good idea to shoot a few shots of the engine
compartment before dismantling! After the head has been removed! You'll
need to send the head in for machining, crack check or whatever the head
needs i.e. valve work or?

Reinstalling: you're going to need a head gasket set! Make sure that you
follow the proper bolt tightening/torque sequence!

--
Bing Bang Boom Viola Done!

Old July 28th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

silent_angel wrote:
> I need help someone! I have an '84 Dodge 600 convertible with a 2.2
> liter engine. I need to replace or at least remove, repair, and
> replace the head. Where do I start and what do I need to remove as I
> go? I have tools, and am somewhat mechanically inclined as I do work
> on motorcycles but no usually cars.

Try to find a hot rod book about the Chrysler 4-cylinder because hot
rod books tend to be written very clearly and give greatly detailed
information, yet they're also more advanced than typical repair
manuals.

I believe you'll need new head bolts for this particular engine. If
they're not included with the replacement head, get them from NAPA or a
Chrysler dealer.

Old July 29th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
rick