Treating wipers

Old July 27th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffc

Default Treating wipers

I was looking at an internet store that sold little packages of pads I guess
that you would wipe your wipers with, and it was supposed to make the rubber
last longer with cracking or stuttering.

Then when I was in a car store today I noticed there wiper blades that
contained a little packet that looked like a moist towelletee pack and it
said you were supposed to clean your wipers with that to make them last
longer. Never noticed that before. The packet said it contained isopropyl
alcohol. Is this a good thing to wipe your wipers with to make them last
longer in good condition?

Old July 27th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"jeffc" > wrote in message
m...
>I was looking at an internet store that sold little packages of pads I
>guess that you would wipe your wipers with, and it was supposed to make the
>rubber last longer with cracking or stuttering.
>
> Then when I was in a car store today I noticed there wiper blades that
> contained a little packet that looked like a moist towelletee pack and it
> said you were supposed to clean your wipers with that to make them last
> longer. Never noticed that before. The packet said it contained isopropyl
> alcohol. Is this a good thing to wipe your wipers with to make them last
> longer in good condition?

I'm not really convinced that using alcohol to clean your wiper blades will
make them last longer, but I know that it does work very well to clean the
surface oxidation from the rubber parts. Basically the type of rubber
(synthetic material) that wiper blades are made out of, deteriorates due to
sunlight and Ozone. Cleaning them with alcohol does make them work better
because it removes the coating of deteriorated surface material, but there
again, I don't see how that would make them last longer. Maybe they would
function properly longer because they work better when they are cleaned.
--
Disclaimer:
Due to the nature of solving problems over the internet being mostly

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old July 27th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Daryl Bryant[_3_]

"jeffc" > wrote in message
m...
> I was looking at an internet store that sold little packages of pads I

guess
> that you would wipe your wipers with, and it was supposed to make the

rubber
> last longer with cracking or stuttering.
>
> Then when I was in a car store today I noticed there wiper blades that
> contained a little packet that looked like a moist towelletee pack and it
> said you were supposed to clean your wipers with that to make them last
> longer. Never noticed that before. The packet said it contained isopropyl
> alcohol. Is this a good thing to wipe your wipers with to make them last
> longer in good condition?

Ya want a great set of wiper blades i.e. I bought a set of Triple edge wiper
blades about 6 years ago and still have no issues.
They cost me about 8 bucks for a set! I got them from one of those mail
order magazines!

--
Bing Bang Boom Viola Done!

Old July 27th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffc

"Kevin" > wrote in message
> Maybe they would function properly longer because they work better when
> they are cleaned.

Maybe that's it.

Old July 28th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Kevin" > wrote in message

> I'm not really convinced that using alcohol to clean your wiper blades

will
> make them last longer, but I know that it does work very well to clean the
> surface oxidation from the rubber parts. Basically the type of rubber
> (synthetic material) that wiper blades are made out of, deteriorates due

> sunlight and Ozone. Cleaning them with alcohol does make them work better
> because it removes the coating of deteriorated surface material, but there
> again, I don't see how that would make them last longer. Maybe they would
> function properly longer because they work better when they are cleaned.

And I agree with Kevin 110% on this. When blades oxidize, harden,
deteriorate
there is nothing to be done but to replace them.

Alcohol (isopropanol) can clean off a little grease, etc, but does nothing
renew the rubber, nor can any other chemical wake the dead.

Old July 28th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

jeffc wrote:

> I was looking at an internet store that sold little packages of pads I guess
> that you would wipe your wipers with, and it was supposed to make the rubber
> last longer with cracking or stuttering.
>
> Then when I was in a car store today I noticed there wiper blades that
> contained a little packet that looked like a moist towelletee pack and it
> said you were supposed to clean your wipers with that to make them last
> longer. Never noticed that before. The packet said it contained isopropyl
> alcohol. Is this a good thing to wipe your wipers with to make them last
> longer in good condition?

Most wipers are made of latex rubber, which turn powdery from sunlight
and ozone, and wiping off this powder can help. However alcohol
doesn't help to preserve the rubber. There are stick
lubricant/preservatives for windshield wipers.

You can find chemical compatibilities for many materials at

www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/chemcomp.asp

By choosing "natural rubber" and a compatibility level of "excellent,"
the database returned the following list, which seems to include only
one liquid that may last long on wipers, castor oil. However you may
want to experiment with some of the beverages listed, such as beer,
whiskey, rum, and wine.

Adipic Acid
Alcohols:Butyl
Alcohols:Ethyl
Alcohols:Hexyl
Alcohols:Isobutyl
Alcohols:Isopropyl
Alcohols:Methyl
Alcohols:Propyl
Aluminum Chloride
Aluminum Chloride 20%
Aluminum Nitrate
Aluminum Potassium Sulfate 10%
Aluminum Potassium Sulfate 100%
Aluminum Sulfate
Alums
Ammonium Carbonate
Ammonium Chloride
Ammonium Persulfate
Ammonium Phosphate, Dibasic
Ammonium Phosphate, Monobasic
Ammonium Phosphate, Tribasic
Ammonium Sulfate
Ammonium Sulfite
Aniline Hydrochloride
Antifreeze
Barium Chloride
Barium Hydroxide
Barium Sulfate
Barium Sulfide
Beer
Beet Sugar Liquids
Benzene Sulfonic Acid
Borax (Sodium Borate)
Boric Acid
Butanol (Butyl Alcohol)
Calcium Bisulfate
Calcium Carbonate
Calcium Chlorate
Calcium Chloride
Calcium Hydroxide
Calcium Nitrate
Calgon
Cane Juice
Citric Acid
Coffee
Copper Cyanide
Diethylamine
Diethylene Glycol
Ethanol
Ethylene Glycol
Ferric Chloride
Ferric Nitrate
Ferric Sulfate
Ferrous Chloride
Fluoboric Acid
Fluosilicic Acid
Gallic Acid
Gelatin
Glucose
Glue, P.V.A.
Glycerin
Honey
Hydrobromic Acid 100%
Hydrobromic Acid 20%
Hydrochloric Acid 20%
Hydrochloric Acid 37%
Hydrofluosilicic Acid 100%
Hydrofluosilicic Acid 20%
Hydroquinone
Isooctane
Isopropyl Ether
Ketones
Lactic Acid
Lead Acetate
Lead Nitrate
Lye: NaOH Sodium Hydroxide
Magnesium Chloride
Magnesium Hydroxide
Magnesium Nitrate
Manganese Sulfate
Mercuric Chloride (dilute)
Mercury
Methanol (Methyl Alcohol)
Methyl Acetone
Methyl Alcohol 10%
Milk
Molasses
Morpholine
Nickel Chloride
Nickel Nitrate
Nitrous Oxide
Oils:Castor
Phenol (10%)
Photographic Developer
Phthalic Anhydride
Potash (Potassium Carbonate)
Potassium Bicarbonate
Potassium Bromide
Potassium Chloride
Potassium Cyanide Solutions
Potassium Ferrocyanide
Potassium Nitrate
Potassium Permanganate
Potassium Sulfate
Propylene Glycol
Rum
Salicylic Acid
Salt Brine (NaCl saturated)
Sea Water
Shellac (Bleached)
Silver Nitrate
Soda Ash (see Sodium Carbonate)
Sodium Acetate
Sodium Benzoate
Sodium Bicarbonate
Sodium Bisulfate
Sodium Bisulfite
Sodium Borate (Borax)
Sodium Bromide
Sodium Carbonate
Sodium Chlorate
Sodium Chloride
Sodium Cyanide
Sodium Hydroxide (20%)
Sodium Hydroxide (50%)
Sodium Hydroxide (80%)
Sodium Metaphosphate
Sodium Metasilicate
Sodium Silicate
Sodium Tetraborate
Sorghum
Stannic Chloride
Stannous Chloride
Starch
Sugar (Liquids)
Sulfuric Acid (<10%)
Tannic Acid
Tartaric Acid
Tin Salts
Trisodium Phosphate
Water, Deionized
Water, Distilled
Water, Fresh
Water, Salt
Whiskey & Wines
Zinc Chloride

Old July 28th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

TCP is the only chemical that will help rubber blades last longer.
(tricresyl phosphate)

Old July 28th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> TCP is the only chemical that will help rubber blades last longer.
> (tricresyl phosphate)

Not trying to be cynical, just trying to stay better informed.
Do you have any source of information that indicates TCP is better than mild
soap and water or even alcohol for prolonging the life of synthetic wiper
blades (not rubber)? Does it have any adverse affects such as windshield
streaking or damage to other finishes? Is it hazardous to your health or
the environment? Is there an easily obtainable source for this product?

Old July 28th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

Kevin > wrote in article
<NEayg.67125$9c6.36960@dukeread11>...

> "jeffc" > wrote in message
> m...
> >I was looking at an internet store that sold little packages of pads I
> >guess that you would wipe your wipers with, and it was supposed to make

the
> >rubber last longer with cracking or stuttering.
> >
> > Then when I was in a car store today I noticed there wiper blades that
> > contained a little packet that looked like a moist towelletee pack and

it
> > said you were supposed to clean your wipers with that to make them last

> > longer. Never noticed that before. The packet said it contained

isopropyl
> > alcohol. Is this a good thing to wipe your wipers with to make them

last
> > longer in good condition?
> >

> I'm not really convinced that using alcohol to clean your wiper blades

will
> make them last longer, but I know that it does work very well to clean

the
> surface oxidation from the rubber parts. Basically the type of rubber
> (synthetic material) that wiper blades are made out of, deteriorates due

> sunlight and Ozone. Cleaning them with alcohol does make them work better

> because it removes the coating of deteriorated surface material, but

there
> again, I don't see how that would make them last longer. Maybe they would

> function properly longer because they work better when they are cleaned.
> --
> Disclaimer:
> Due to the nature of solving problems over the internet being mostly
> guesswork,
> please do not consider the above recommendations as the only possible
> solutions.
>
> --
> Kevin Mouton
> Automotive Technology Instructor
> "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
> Red Green

The alcohol wipe in the wiper package is merely to clean the manufacturing
residue off the wiper. These are pretty much the same alcohol wipes I use
for my glucose testing.

When I ran the NAPA store, I would have people come in after the first
rainstorm complaining about their brand-new wipers streaking.

I would ask if they used the alcohol wipe after installation - as outlined
in the written instructions on the package, AND as pointed out by us.

Usually, the sheepish reply was, "It's in my glove box...."

Another streaking complaint often resulted from the application of
"Rain-X".

I used to travel a lot, and I used Rain-X all the time, and I loved
it....BUT.....

.......I used to warn people that if the bulk of their mileage was "around
town" driving, then Rain-X was probably not a good product for them.

For someone who spends the bulk of their time on the highway, however, I
would STRONGLY recommend it.

You have to be going at least 35-40 m.p.h. to benefit from Rain-X..........

1 series wipers Steve[_3_] BMW 7 July 8th 06 10:52 PM
E46 Wipers still going when ignition off David BMW 5 February 27th 06 04:29 PM
Wipers issue Amit Joneja VW water cooled 1 November 10th 05 08:14 PM
wipers with a mind of their own [email protected] Saturn 3 March 18th 05 03:46 AM
Engine Vacuum, Wipers, and Brake Booster Joe Hudon Antique cars 1 June 16th 04 07:18 PM