02 4.0 Main Seal Leak?

Old March 29th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 02 4.0 Main Seal Leak?

hi All,

My 02 TJ developed a leaky main seal after the Oil pan had to be replaced
due to a mishap with a rock.

I just had the dealer repair the leak and the next day it is leaking again.
I have heard rummers that once the 4.0 starts leaking, it never stops.

Is this true? if now, how do I ensure it stops. I am going to give the
dealer one more shot (hey i paid my deductable they may as well fix it).
After that I am going to do it myself.

Old March 30th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi John,
Have them fix your valve cover, too. Wipe the rear of your head to
confirm.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 30th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The valve cover is actually nice and tight.

That was redone 25,000 miles ago when the head cracked.

By the way, it only has 57000 on it now.

I will keep you posted.

JOHN

Old March 30th 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If your oil pan hit a rock it is most likely deformed at the rear lip right
below the main seal. You probably never had your main seal go bad, but your
oil pan is deformed now in that spot. Some careful hammering fixed mine.
I did the same thing years ago to mine.
Also once a 4.0 leaks it can always be fixed. Mine is an 88 with 200k miles
on it and it has leaked in the past but is dry now. Whoever said that isnt
much of a mechanic.
KH

Old March 30th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks for the info,

The old damaged oil pan was replaced with a new one.

Old March 30th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Then the 'mechanic' has no clue....

Both my engines are 'dry'. One has 315K km and the other 6 years on new
gaskets.

I even swapped an old oil pan over because one rusted out.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 31st 06, 06:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Then its your valve cover like Bill said.
KH

Old April 4th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If the CCV/PCV is clogged up the pressure at the top
of the engine will blow out the rear main seal...

just my 2 cents

Brian Moga
Waxhaw.Net

Old April 4th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If you went to a surgeon, and he screwed something up, would you keep going
back, until he "got it right?"

Earle

Old April 4th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Dealerships, I have found, generally have 1 'mechanic' and the balance of
the service department is composed of 'technicians' who are generally
capable of performing oil and filter changes, installing batteries, and
washing the vehicle if they have a complete library of reference manuals and
step by step videos.

If the OP takes it back he can request that the actual 'mechanic' work on
his vehicle this time..

As for surgeons ... I generally don't have hacks carving on me.

"Earle Horton" > wrote in message
om...
> If you went to a surgeon, and he screwed something up, would you keep
> going
> back, until he "got it right?"
>
> Earle
>
> "billy ray" > wrote in message
>> I would think the point is he already paid the dealership to repair it
>> and
>> they didn't.
>>
>> Shouldn't they keep fixing it until they get it right?
>> (or refund his money)
>>

>> "Brian Moga" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>> >
>> > If the CCV/PCV is clogged up the pressure at the top
>> > of the engine will blow out the rear main seal...
>> >
>> > just my 2 cents
>> >
>> > Brian Moga
>> > Waxhaw.Net

> replaced

> it).
>> >>

> *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
> *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
> http://www.SecureIX.com ***

93' Sundance 2.2 front main seal (???) D. Reid Chrysler 2 November 2nd 05 09:01 PM
diesel rabbit oil seal leak confirmation and seal replacement Robert Young VW water cooled 0 May 18th 05 06:19 AM
Oil leak: Front Main Seal or oil pan gasket? [email protected] Saturn 0 March 21st 05 03:49 PM
258 Rear Main Seal Wranglerjeep1 Jeep 12 January 25th 05 10:08 AM
Rear main seal question Jack Dannenberg Mazda 1 December 5th 04 11:54 PM