New carburettor- At least for me.

Old February 7th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default New carburettor- At least for me.

Hi Jan,

I will try not to clean it to much :-)
I took about 1kg of dirty so far and that throttle shaft doesn't
shake yet.

Joćo

Old February 7th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Joao,

You do not have to remove the throttle shaft or the choke plate. But do
NOT soak the float, or the choke heating element.

You should remove all the jets and the emulsion tube prior to soaking.

The 2nd picture is a little blurry..is the casting damaged where the
float pivot pin and retainer sits?

Chris

Old February 7th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Hi Chris,

Thanks for you replay. I remove all the plastic parts and the choke
heating element. It looks that there is some casting damaged but it
isn't true. It is some white grease. I don't know where it comes from!
Even the screws don't have any marks of screwdriver. Right now the
top and jets are soaking on a cookie box with paint thinner. I hope it
works! I didn't found the methylene chloride.

Joćo

Old February 7th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"clean it up real good only to find out that the only thing that was
keeping the shaft bore from leaking was dirt, and the damn thing is
actually just as worn as every other stock carb out there?

Jan "

I was thinking that this might be a possibility as well, but honestly
this is a non-issue...rimco can replace the bushings for a reasonable
fee and then you can put the thing back in service.

Chris

Old February 7th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

The top part is cleaned.

http://i1.tinypic.com/ndmzc7.jpg

The jets and the screws are also cleaned.
Today I also bought a Mexican kit with the gaskets and other parts to
rebuild it.
A few minutes ago, I putted the body of the carburetor soaking.

Joćo

Old February 7th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I have also thought on that, but I read a few posts saying that the new
carbs are crap.

Joćo

Old February 9th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I made some progresses on the carb as you can see.

http://i1.tinypic.com/nevu5x.jpg

....and yes, I forgot to remove that jet.
The main jet (125) and the Air correction (80) were 50% blocked with
white grease.
Tomorrow I will blow all the passages and jets with an air compressor.
Today I used carb cleaner on them.
I think that the shaft is quite good, because I can only feel a small
clearance between 0.05 and 0.1 mm.

Joćo

Old February 10th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

It's done. I hope it works fine. I had to sand blaster the external
parts and painted them gold. So, now I have a 34 Pict3 GOLD carb :-)
You can see the differences Before vs After.

http://i1.tinypic.com/ngrlgw.jpg

Joćo

Old February 10th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> wrote in message
oups.com...
It's done. I hope it works fine. I had to sand blaster the external
parts and painted them gold. So, now I have a 34 Pict3 GOLD carb :-)
You can see the differences Before vs After.

http://i1.tinypic.com/ngrlgw.jpg

Joćo

Thats a good job. Bet you're pleased.

james