Dealer Rust Protection and good?

Old October 9th 05, 08:29 PM

Default Dealer Rust Protection and good?

Is there any value to the rust protection and spray offered by new car
dealers ? Why is this offered instead of the factory one? Is this a
rip off ?
Thanks.
Old October 9th 05, 10:11 PM

Thanks. I live in the Toronto area in canada and we use a lot of salt
here. I was offered this rust prevension at a dealership. I am
inclined to say NO.

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 21:13:45 +0100, Zog The Undeniable

Old October 10th 05, 04:11 PM

Thanks guys. I wonn't fall for it .

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 03:57:13 GMT, Lanny Chambers

Old October 11th 05, 01:11 AM
Leon van Dommelen

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>> Is there any value to the rust protection and spray offered by new car
>> dealers ?

>In a word, no. I bought "dealer" rustproofing once on a Honda. The car
>rusted through within the warranty period. The dealer said the company
>they sublet the work to had gone out of business, so sorry, and would I
>like for their body shop to give me a repair estimate? Yeah, right.

If they sublet the work, they are responsible for the warranty. If they
sold you the companies warranty as an agent, they are not.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old October 14th 05, 07:06 AM
Chuck

Aftermarket rust protection from anyone is usually a waste of money. A car
really needs adequate rust protection applied at the factory, and designed
into it.
Having said that, I'm currently in a tiff with GM over chassis component
corrosion. Most foreign cars are treated to prevent such things before
shipment. Evidently, GM did not do so.