Rear window defogger is stumping me.

Old February 14th 14, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default Rear window defogger is stumping me.

N8N wrote:
> On Friday, February 14, 2014 12:55:36 PM UTC-5, Mark Olson wrote:
>> On 2014-02-14 10:29 AM, N8N wrote:
>>
>>> No, I meant that if I put a probe on each side of the grid, I
>>> read appx. 12V across them. However you were right anyway; on a
>>> hunch I pulled the trim and pulled the wiring out where it goes
>>> through the bellows seal at the top of the liftgate; ground
>>> completely broken. So apparently that grounds to the hatch
>>> somewhere and I had enough of a ground to show voltage but not
>>> enough to make it work right. Also one of the wires for my CHMSL
>>> is hanging on by a strand and three more wires show signs of
>>> chafing, so I guess I know what I'm doing this evening...

>> Ah.
>>

>> Which is why you need to be very careful when using a high
>> impedance voltmeter.
>>
>> Sometimes it's best to do this sort of thing with a instrument lamp
>> bulb with
>>
>> a couple of pieces of wire soldered on.

> yeah, one of these days I am going to buy a nice test light with an
> incandescent bulb... probably ought to have one already, but I
> don't.
>
> The value of all my tools, if I had to replace them with new, is
> likely more than my car, or even a modest house in a less affluent
> neighborhood. And yet there are so many tools that I still don't
> have.

Welcome to the club.... I'm not sure it's a good thing to be on a first
name basis with 3 different tool truck operators...

--
Steve W.
Old February 15th 14, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 12:09:52 -0800 (PST), N8N >
wrote:

>Yup, same bundle. CMHSL is in the liftgate not the body of the vehicle. The harness that I pulled out has the rear defog, tag light, rear wipe/wash, CHMSL, and something else unused (power locks?) all in the same harness, and it goes through a hole in the body with a sharp edge and only electrical tape for protection (yes, the harness is apparently wrapped with adhesive tape.) Thanks, Chrysler! I think I will buy a stick of door edge molding to cover that sharp edge so it doesn't happen again in another 15 years.

Maybe it had a grommet that long ago disintegrated.
Old February 15th 14, 06:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Bill Vanek wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 12:09:52 -0800 (PST), N8N >
> wrote:
>
>> Yup, same bundle. CMHSL is in the liftgate not the body of the
>> vehicle. The harness that I pulled out has the rear defog, tag
>> light, rear wipe/wash, CHMSL, and something else unused (power
>> locks?) all in the same harness, and it goes through a hole in the
>> body with a sharp edge and only electrical tape for protection
>> (yes, the harness is apparently wrapped with adhesive tape.)
>> Thanks, Chrysler! I think I will buy a stick of door edge molding
>> to cover that sharp edge so it doesn't happen again in another 15
>> years.

> Maybe it had a grommet that long ago disintegrated.

Seems like there was a TSB on that harness. Something to the effect of
new wire/wrap with harness tape and a clip to hold it in place.

--
Steve W.
Old February 15th 14, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Geoff Welsh

N8N wrote:
> Got my old Jeep Cherokee just about in "drive anywhere without fear"
> shape... .....

I wouldn't drive any Cherokee anywhere. Those Quadra-Drive ones make me
nauseous just pulling around the shop parking lot.

GW
Old February 15th 14, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_4_]

"Steve W." > wrote in :

> N8N wrote:
>> I'm getting 11.5V at the terminals and also at both
>> sides of the grid.

>.
>
> Bad ground. You have voltage but not enough current to make the grid
> work. Run a jumper to a good ground to verify.

I second that.

Bad grounds can create the very weirdest effects. I once had a problem with
my Integra's brake lights that I traced back to a bad ground. My reading of
the EWDs told me that the problem I had was not possible, but it did
happen.

--
Tegger
Old February 16th 14, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

XJ 'box' Cherokee, not Grand. Other than just general noise, it's rather pleasant to drive, at least given that it's an el strippo 4WD vehicle. Drives pretty well - exceptionally well when you remember it's got a straight front axle and has a rather high COG compared to a regular car.

But my understanding is that the grand is very similar mechanically other than transmission, xfer case and rear suspension...?

Wagoneer Rear Window Defogger [email protected] Jeep 4 November 3rd 09 03:44 PM
Rear window defogger defroster Pszemol Honda 4 November 13th 07 01:56 PM
85 rear window defogger JimS Corvette 2 November 15th 06 07:57 PM
Rear window defogger [email protected] Saturn 2 May 22nd 06 06:01 AM
rear window defogger [email protected] VW air cooled 0 April 14th 05 08:25 PM