Radials for 71 Matador

Old January 29th 14, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_4_]

Default Radials for 71 Matador

sctvguy1 > wrote in :

> Having a hell of a time finding the 215/75

No you're not.

<snip>

> Coker sells the correct tire, but what a price!

You're having trouble only because you're a cheapskate.

Back in 1971, you would have been replacing your tires every 20,000 miles.
And spending a lot more overall than you will spend on those new Cokers,
which will last a lot longer than 20,000 miles.

You have a 1971 car, but this isn't 1971 anymore. Suck it up and do the job
properly.

And it looks like I was right about G78s being the correct tire for this
car and not E78. Sometimes it pays off being an old fart with personal
experience.

--
Tegger
Old January 29th 14, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
sctvguy1[_2_]

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 00:48:13 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> sctvguy1 > wrote in
> :
>
>> Having a hell of a time finding the 215/75

> No you're not.
> Yes, I am here where I live. They will only sell them for "trailers",

and will not put them on a passenger car.

> <snip>
>

>> Coker sells the correct tire, but what a price!

> You're having trouble only because you're a cheapskate.

You have no idea of my income level. I cannot afford almost $190 per
tire. That is not including the mounting, balancing and stems from the
local tire dealer.

> Back in 1971, you would have been replacing your tires every 20,000
> miles. And spending a lot more overall than you will spend on those new
> Cokers, which will last a lot longer than 20,000 miles.
>
> You have a 1971 car, but this isn't 1971 anymore. Suck it up and do the
> job properly.
>
> And it looks like I was right about G78s being the correct tire for this
> car and not E78. Sometimes it pays off being an old fart with personal
> experience.

I knew that G78 was correct by looking at the conversion table. E78
would have been correct for the Six without A/C, but that is not what I
have.
Old January 29th 14, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2014-01-28, sctvguy1 > wrote:
> I called several tire places around where I live in Texas, and they told
> me that the 215/75 was a "trailer" tire only and that they would not
> install it on a car! Sounded like crap to me!

That's strange, I have not had any problem getting 215/75-15 tires,
in fact I checked with my local tire shop before doing the conversion
to find the best-fit 15" tire in terms of diameter and load rating. A
quick check of tirerack.com comes up with 17 different tires that size
starting at $70 each.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Old January 29th 14, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:55:10 PM UTC-5, sctvguy1 wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 00:48:13 +0000, Tegger wrote:
>

> > sctvguy1 > wrote in

> > :

> >> Having a hell of a time finding the 215/75

> > No you're not.

> > Yes, I am here where I live. They will only sell them for "trailers",

> and will not put them on a passenger car.

Tire Rack my friend... but don't you want a 215/70 not a 215/75? Even TR doesn't list 215/75R14 as a valid tire size. 225/70 is available however although your only choice is again the BFG T/A although that isn't a bad tire and is very popular for 60's and 70's cars.

In either case they aren't going to run you $190, more like $115-120 plus whatever your local shop charges for mount and balance. If your local shop balks at mounting tires from TR tell them that you'll be happy to buy from them when they're not extortionately more expensive than TR's price plus shipping.

nate
Old January 29th 14, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_4_]

sctvguy1 > wrote in :

> On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 00:48:13 +0000, Tegger wrote:
>

>> You're having trouble only because you're a cheapskate.

> You have no idea of my income level. I cannot afford almost $190 per
> tire. That is not including the mounting, balancing and stems from the
> local tire dealer.

If you want to drive a classic, then be prepared for classic costs. If
you're not prepared to spend for classic costs, then buy a used Kia.

--
Tegger
Old January 29th 14, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2014-01-29, sctvguy1 > wrote:
> You have no idea of my income level. I cannot afford almost $190 per
> tire. That is not including the mounting, balancing and stems from the
> local tire dealer.

Get yourself a set of junkyard 15" Dodge rims and you'll be all set with
more tire choices at reasonable prices. Since your Matador OEM tires
were G78-14 rather than my Ambo wagon's H78-14, probably you would be
looking at 205/75-15 as the 15" replacement, such as:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes ($248 for 4 tires!!)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Compare1= yes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Yeah, you have to add shipping plus about $15 per tire for mounting and
balancing (using Tire Rack's network of contract installers that's what I
paid), but it's still a decent deal. Sometimes there are specials where
you'll get like a $50 rebate on a set of four.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Old January 29th 14, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 1/28/2014 6:55 PM, sctvguy1 wrote:
> You have no idea of my income level. I cannot afford almost $190 per
> tire. That is not including the mounting, balancing and stems from the
> local tire dealer.

And I was happy to get two tires mounted for $420, and expect them to
last no more than 10K miles.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old January 29th 14, 08:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

you bought your tires at the BMW dealership?
Old January 29th 14, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_4_]

Roger Blake > wrote in
:

> I have not had any problem getting 215/75-15 tires,
> in fact I checked with my local tire shop before doing the conversion
> to find the best-fit 15" tire in terms of diameter and load rating. A
> quick check of tirerack.com comes up with 17 different tires that size
> starting at $70 each.

The problem is that the OP wants to retain the original appearance, which
requires 14" wheels and tires.

--
Tegger
Old January 29th 14, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Tegger wrote: "Roger Blake > wrote in
:

> I have not had any problem getting 215/75-15 tires,
> in fact I checked with my local tire shop before doing the conversion
> to find the best-fit 15" tire in terms of diameter and load rating. A
> quick check of tirerack.com comes up with 17 different tires that size
> starting at $70 each.

The problem is that the OP wants to retain the original appearance, which
requires 14" wheels and tires.

--
Tegger "

The problem is that SCTV1 lives in a country where the Proletariat have decreed that 14" rims are suitable only for trailers.

Perhaps he should move to the United States.

1975 AMC Matador - fvr Rob Auto Photos 1 November 12th 12 02:22 PM
Can I Use 175/70R15 radials on 15 X 4.5 Wheel Rims? [email protected] VW air cooled 2 January 3rd 09 11:30 PM
Remember when we posted this kind of material? REPOSTS : 1974 AMC Matador Sport Coupe f3q+Matador-X Sv B&W.jpg (1/1) 94043 bytes ThomasS[_2_] Auto Photos 0 December 11th 06 05:53 AM
et street radials J. Sprauer Ford Mustang 1 October 16th 05 03:16 AM
Coker 16" radials Josh B. Malks Antique cars 0 August 6th 04 06:14 AM