Alternator Belt Break and overheat

Old June 23rd 05, 01:30 AM
Rookie

Yes I drove about 10 miles and it was about 1045 @ night on my way
home. Needed light to see what was going on back there. Like I stated
previously, I was under the assumption cooling fan ran off the crank,
not generator. Now I know.
I changed the belt, and I am taking it for a valve job and compression
test Friday. I drove it home yesterday, changed the oil (which was
done two days prior to this) and it was brown and thin...almost like
water.
No I do not know much about VWs' but I am trying to learn.
The rubber boots you would think would have melted but didn't.

Christian M. Mericle wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2005 15:13:40 -0700, "Joao Eliseu"
> > wrote:
>

> "Tim Rogers" > wrote:
>
> "Joao Eliseu" > wrote in message
>
> The drag beetles can make 1/4 of mile without the cooling

system....

> ...................If you're talking about a full race bug that's

built for
> drag racing, a minute or two of running time with only 10 to 15

seconds of
> full throttle and then an extended period of cooling with an

electric fan
> in
> the pits between races still only gets you a handful, maybe a

dozen(?)
> weekends at the strip before it's time to start over with a total

rebuild
> including new heads and probably a new case.
>
> ............I'm actually amazed that any engine could push a car for

ten
> miles nonstop without any cooling system in operation.
>

> Yes, I as talking about a bug that's built for drag racing. I'm also

amazed with
> the performance of that bug, without a cooling system...
>

> So, what destroys the motor is that the metal parts become too hot

and

http://www.savedarfur.org/

http://donate.wvus.org/OA_HTML/xxwvi...item=107218 2
> ICC (Sudan) -- http://www.persecution.org/Countries/sudan.html

Could it be that Rookie is a Troll since he has yet to part take in
the
thread after the initiation..???

J.[/quote:16b7c0695c]

Old June 23rd 05, 01:32 AM
johnboy

"remco" > wrote in message

> Do you mean "blowing" or "building" it blindfolded?

Jake Raby built the engine blindfolded. No, I don't have pictures. Sorry.

Old June 23rd 05, 01:33 AM
johnboy

"Tim Rogers" > wrote in message

> .................That would make more sense than us believing that you can
> actually drive a bug for ten miles without a cooling fan.

Sure you can. Don't ask me how I know. I was very young.

Old June 23rd 05, 01:34 AM
johnboy

"remco" > wrote

> Maybe some of the guys that really know what happens in bugs will jump in
> and tell us.

Short answer: you sell the bug on the spot and hitchhike 500 miles home.

Old June 23rd 05, 02:52 AM
John Willis

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:34:49 -0500, "johnboy" >
scribbled this interesting note:

>"remco" > wrote
>
>> Maybe some of the guys that really know what happens in bugs will jump in
>> and tell us.

>Short answer: you sell the bug on the spot and hitchhike 500 miles home.

Or, if you're Scott, you call me and I hop in the truck with a tow bar
and drive over and drag your sorry butt, and the car as well, home!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old June 23rd 05, 03:26 AM
MUADIB®

Damn. I guess it sounds like I don't do well, on my own
nowadays...............LOL

I'd just call Sheryl now and she could bring The Van and a tow bar.
We'd manage. And I might help *you* home..........LOL

>Or, if you're Scott, you call me and I hop in the truck with a tow bar
>and drive over and drag your sorry butt, and the car as well, home!:~)

It's been a day or two since you had to come and get me.
But I'd still call you if you like.......LOL

Guys, John has helped me haul home many cars in the past. He'd do it
again I bet. I'd do the same for him too........Now that I could. He's
always been a good friend. (and put up with loads of my garbage in my
life. I am now handling things a whole lot differently. I don;t know
how he's been able to stand it)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizical,
What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict.
Old June 23rd 05, 08:25 AM
Kevin Holzer

Rookie wrote:
> Yes I drove about 10 miles and it was about 1045 @ night on my way
> home. Needed light to see what was going on back there. Like I stated
> previously, I was under the assumption cooling fan ran off the crank,
> not generator. Now I know.
> I changed the belt, and I am taking it for a valve job and compression
> test Friday. I drove it home yesterday, changed the oil (which was
> done two days prior to this) and it was brown and thin...almost like
> water.
> No I do not know much about VWs' but I am trying to learn.
> The rubber boots you would think would have melted but didn't.

Did the oil have any metallic particles in it?
Old June 23rd 05, 12:31 PM
Joao Eliseu

>I was under the assumption cooling fan ran off the crank,
>not generator. Now I know.

Also on old watercooled engines, if generator belt fails the cooling system fails.
The belt goes from the puller to the generator and water pump. The only difference
is that one uses air and the other uses water.
If you had read the manual you would know, but there are only a few guys on the
world that read them...

Joao
Old June 23rd 05, 12:46 PM
MUADIB®

>If you had read the manual you would know, but there are only a few guys on the
>world that read them...

That's the truth!.................I deal with it every day. On new
$50k and more Vehicles too! Lincoln Navigator on down.
I haven't worked on a Ford GT yet. I kinda expect to in the next year
or so..............I hope they leave me with a concern like "it does
this___ *while Driving* "
I can only hope.

Old June 23rd 05, 01:30 PM
Rookie

Honestly when I checked the oil I thought I saw something in there,
but when I drained it ( 3rd change ) I didn't see anything in it.
I do know it needs the valves adjusted, so I should find out if
anything was done when they do those.

Rookie wrote:
> Yes I drove about 10 miles and it was about 1045 @ night on my way
> home. Needed light to see what was going on back there. Like I

stated
> previously, I was under the assumption cooling fan ran off the

crank,
> not generator. Now I know.
> I changed the belt, and I am taking it for a valve job and

compression
> test Friday. I drove it home yesterday, changed the oil (which was
> done two days prior to this) and it was brown and thin...almost

like
> water.
> No I do not know much about VWs' but I am trying to learn.
> The rubber boots you would think would have melted but didn't.

Did the oil have any metallic particles in it?[/quote:a1b6269693]