Alternator Belt Break and overheat

Old June 22nd 05, 03:18 PM
johnboy

Has anyone seen am "Engine Blow" event? It's where they run an ACVW engine
wide-full-open without the air cooling until it blows.

Old June 22nd 05, 03:28 PM
Remco

Michael Cecil wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2005 15:13:40 -0700, "Joao Eliseu" >
> wrote:
>
> >Yes, I as talking about a bug that's built for drag racing. I'm also amazed with
> >the performance of that bug, without a cooling system...

> I'm wondering if it will turn over after it's cooled off.

I'd be careful doing anything, especially since he is not that familiar
with his car.
Truly no offense intended, but if one does not know what drives the
cooling, it might be best to have the bug checked out by someone that
knows how the car works and how to check for damage.
The engine may not be seized, but you can do all sorts of unseen damage
by overheating that may not be immediately detected by just restarting
the car.

Old June 22nd 05, 04:20 PM
Christian M. Mericle

On 21 Jun 2005 15:13:40 -0700, "Joao Eliseu"
> wrote:

>"Tim Rogers" > wrote:
>>"Joao Eliseu" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> The drag beetles can make 1/4 of mile without the cooling system....

>>...................If you're talking about a full race bug that's built for
>>drag racing, a minute or two of running time with only 10 to 15 seconds of
>>full throttle and then an extended period of cooling with an electric fan
>>in
>>the pits between races still only gets you a handful, maybe a dozen(?)
>>weekends at the strip before it's time to start over with a total rebuild
>>including new heads and probably a new case.
>>
>>............I'm actually amazed that any engine could push a car for ten
>>miles nonstop without any cooling system in operation.
>>

>Yes, I as talking about a bug that's built for drag racing. I'm also amazed with
>the performance of that bug, without a cooling system...

So, what destroys the motor is that the metal parts become too hot and
expand causing it to contort and/or increase friction?

-- Christian
'71 Bus -- Turtle

Save Darfur -- http://www.savedarfur.org/
World Vision (Darfur) -- http://donate.wvus.org/OA_HTML/xxwvi...item=107218 2
ICC (Sudan) -- http://www.persecution.org/Countries/sudan.html
Old June 22nd 05, 08:48 PM
johnboy

"Michael Cecil" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:10:43 -0500, "johnboy" > wrote:
>

>>Get one of these: http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/b/images/SERPEN~1.jpg

> That's neat, but how do those prevent the belt from breaking?

It has different pulleys in order to use a stronger, wide belt. I can shoot
a better pic if you like.

Old June 22nd 05, 09:03 PM
johnboy

"Michael Cecil" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:18:10 -0500, "johnboy" > wrote:

>>Has anyone seen am "Engine Blow" event? It's where they run an ACVW
>>engine
>>wide-full-open without the air cooling until it blows.
>>

> I think I would have to start killing people, if I saw them wasting good
> VW parts like that. Nothing personal, it's my job.

You would be killing the world's best ACVW engine builder, Jake Raby. Well,
actually you probably couldn't - he's a Marine veteran.

Legend has it that one of the engines Jake intentionally blew was the same
engine he built blindfolded for a show. I wish I could find pictures.

Old June 22nd 05, 09:26 PM
P.J. Berg

Christian M. Mericle wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2005 15:13:40 -0700, "Joao Eliseu"
> > wrote:

>>>...................If you're talking about a full race bug that's built for
>>>drag racing, a minute or two of running time with only 10 to 15 seconds of
>>>full throttle and then an extended period of cooling with an electric fan
>>>in
>>>the pits between races still only gets you a handful, maybe a dozen(?)
>>>weekends at the strip before it's time to start over with a total rebuild
>>>including new heads and probably a new case.
>>>
>>>............I'm actually amazed that any engine could push a car for ten
>>>miles nonstop without any cooling system in operation.
>>>

>>Yes, I as talking about a bug that's built for drag racing. I'm also amazed with
>>the performance of that bug, without a cooling system...

> So, what destroys the motor is that the metal parts become too hot and
> expand causing it to contort and/or increase friction?
>
> -- Christian
> '71 Bus -- Turtle
>
> Save Darfur -- http://www.savedarfur.org/
> World Vision (Darfur) -- http://donate.wvus.org/OA_HTML/xxwvi...item=107218 2
> ICC (Sudan) -- http://www.persecution.org/Countries/sudan.html

Could it be that Rookie is a Troll since he has yet to part take in the
thread after the initiation..???

J.
Old June 22nd 05, 09:56 PM
tricky

I thought that too , from his original post. Good thread tho , so boo
to him ;-)

Rich

Old June 22nd 05, 11:25 PM
Tim Rogers

"P.J. Berg" > wrote in message

> Could it be that Rookie is a Troll since he has yet to part take in the
> thread after the initiation..???

..................That would make more sense than us believing that you can
actually drive a bug for ten miles without a cooling fan.

.........It seems odd that Shaggy hasn't added his usual spin to this
situation...............hmmm.

:-)

Old June 22nd 05, 11:55 PM
remco

"Christian M. Mericle" > wrote in message
> On 21 Jun 2005 15:13:40 -0700, "Joao Eliseu"
> > wrote:

> >>...................If you're talking about a full race bug that's built

for
> >>drag racing, a minute or two of running time with only 10 to 15 seconds

of
> >>full throttle and then an extended period of cooling with an electric

fan
> >>in
> >>the pits between races still only gets you a handful, maybe a dozen(?)
> >>weekends at the strip before it's time to start over with a total

rebuild
> >>including new heads and probably a new case.
> >>
> >>............I'm actually amazed that any engine could push a car for ten
> >>miles nonstop without any cooling system in operation.
> >>

> >Yes, I as talking about a bug that's built for drag racing. I'm also

amazed with
> >the performance of that bug, without a cooling system...

> So, what destroys the motor is that the metal parts become too hot and
> expand causing it to contort and/or increase friction?

That's an interesting question and was curious about what the responses
would be too.

Not positive on bugs, but I'd would imagine that the surfaces where the
cylinders meet the case and heads may warp so probably need machining or
replacing. If I had to guess, the rings probably lose some of their 'spring'
properties. On other cars, it can do a job on the cylinder walls when they
get too hot and expand. Stuff expanding beyond where it should go totally
hoses your engine up. Parts start binding and possibly seizing -- not good.
I don't think the oil gets a chance to lose its properties because the
engine will probably die before that happens.

Maybe some of the guys that really know what happens in bugs will jump in
and tell us.

Remco

Old June 23rd 05, 12:00 AM
remco

"johnboy" > wrote in message
> "Michael Cecil" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:18:10 -0500, "johnboy" > wrote:

> >>Has anyone seen am "Engine Blow" event? It's where they run an ACVW
> >>engine
> >>wide-full-open without the air cooling until it blows.
> >>

> > I think I would have to start killing people, if I saw them wasting good
> > VW parts like that. Nothing personal, it's my job.

> You would be killing the world's best ACVW engine builder, Jake Raby.

Well,
> actually you probably couldn't - he's a Marine veteran.
>
> Legend has it that one of the engines Jake intentionally blew was the same
> engine he built blindfolded for a show. I wish I could find pictures.

Do you mean "blowing" or "building" it blindfolded?
I can barely build one it with eyes open and it will take longer than five
shows!
If he was blowing it blindfolded, it is not a great trick - I can do that
too

Do you have pictures of him building it blindfolded? If so, it would be
interesting to see them posted somewhere.
Remco