OT-translation please ! US to UK

Old April 20th 05, 09:26 PM
tricky

Default OT-translation please ! US to UK

Just so I can keep up with the postings here, I got a couple of
questions about terminoligy.

What exactly is REDNECK ?
What Specificly when compared to SHAG ! >

others that come to mind

Yankee ?
Mineral spirit ?
Cost of a US gallon of Gas (petrol) ? ours is close to 4UKP per UK
gallon (approx 7.5 USD )

oh .. Jan .. teh ?

any others ?

Just trying to make myself at home ! :-)

Rich

Old April 20th 05, 09:35 PM

Rich,

Can't speak to all but........

For REDNECK. Normally a term to label those of us in the south
especially that enjoy the simpler things in life. Rednecks are
sterotyped as being lazy, ignorant and not possesing the best of
manners. However, if you are traveling in the south and have car
trouble, rest assured one of our finest rednecks will most definatly be
happy to render any assistance he (or she) can and will accept little
to nothing in return. I am a redneck and proud of it!

See also Jeff Foxworthy for a complete definition.

Yankee is the opposit of redneck.

I paid $2.15 per gallon for 87oct but I saw it in Atlanta today for
$1.99

<><
TC

Old April 20th 05, 09:40 PM
Jan Andersson

tricky wrote:

> Just so I can keep up with the postings here, I got a couple of
> questions about terminoligy.
>
> What exactly is REDNECK ?
> What Specificly when compared to SHAG ! >
>
> others that come to mind
>
> Yankee ?
> Mineral spirit ?
> Cost of a US gallon of Gas (petrol) ? ours is close to 4UKP per UK
> gallon (approx 7.5 USD )
>
> oh .. Jan .. teh ?

SHUSH you. Pffft.

Jan
Old April 20th 05, 09:42 PM
Speedy Jim

tricky wrote:

> Just so I can keep up with the postings here, I got a couple of
> questions about terminoligy.
>
> What exactly is REDNECK ?

http://s88932719.onlinehome.us/english.htm

is one "translator"

Use your browser "Find" function to search.

http://faculty.ed.umuc.edu/~aethingt/redneck.htm
pokes fun at the way "some" US southerners talk.
(May be incomprehensible in UK)

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old April 20th 05, 09:45 PM
Shag

A few answers inline below.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:26:50 GMT, tricky >
wrote:

>Just so I can keep up with the postings here, I got a couple of
>questions about terminoligy.
>
>What exactly is REDNECK ?

Depends on who you ask and how the term is said. I think when most
people picture a "redneck" they think of someone who lives in a crappy
home (often on wheels) and wears work boots, jeans, flannel shirts
(with the sleeves cut off in the summer), and baseball caps. Usually
chews tobacco and drinks cheap beer and listens to country music and
has a loud mouth and is pretty stupid.

>What Specificly when compared to SHAG ! >

I'm not gonna try to *directly* help you make up your mind about that.

>others that come to mind
>
>Yankee ?

People from "up north." Virginia and points further north. When
you're in "The South", calling someone a "yankee" is usually not a
compliment. Depends on how it's said and who is saying it and what
was said just beforehand. Just to confuse you, some people consider
North Carolina more "Southern" than South Carolina.

>Mineral spirit ?
>Cost of a US gallon of Gas (petrol) ? ours is close to 4UKP per UK
>gallon (approx 7.5 USD )

About $2.25/gallon here (North Carolina) right now.

>oh .. Jan .. teh ?
>
>any others ?
>
>Just trying to make myself at home ! :-)
>
>Rich

"Stupid people are funny." - me
Old April 20th 05, 11:32 PM
tricky

fun site - first US word was BUG - insect !

Rich

Old April 20th 05, 11:34 PM
tricky

Again - to us (UK) yank / yankee means american. Didnt know about the
north bit.

I do like Norm tho (new yankee workshop - this old house :-) )

Old April 20th 05, 11:36 PM
tricky

Hee Hee - just kidding !

Rich

Old April 20th 05, 11:37 PM
tricky

See - if you dont ask you only think you know !

I hate the bit about the petrol / gas price though ;-(

Rich