rear main seal (replacement with one piece seal)

Old March 16th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default rear main seal (replacement with one piece seal)

I have an 85 CJ7 amc 150 i4 and currently doing a clutch job-flywheel
is pulled off. The rear main seal is leaking, and I'm not sure if I
actually have to pull the oil pan to put a new one piece seal in. If
I don't have to pull the oil pan etc, do I have to drain the oil or
would the oil level be sitting below the seal when the engine is off?

Old March 17th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Replace the seal while the flywheel is off:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/4cylSeal.jpg Oil level is always well below
the crankshaft throws. Usually the oil leak is the rear part of the valve
cover.
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

ups.com...

Old March 17th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Mar 16, 8:14 pm, "L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III" >
wrote:
> Replace the seal while the flywheel is off:http://www.billhughes.com/temp/4cylSeal.jpgOil level is always well below
> the crankshaft throws. Usually the oil leak is the rear part of the valve
> cover.
> God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
> /
>
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > I have an 85 CJ7 amc 150 i4 and currently doing a clutch job-flywheel
> > is pulled off. The rear main seal is leaking, and I'm not sure if I
> > actually have to pull the oil pan to put a new one piece seal in. If
> > I don't have to pull the oil pan etc, do I have to drain the oil or
> > would the oil level be sitting below the seal when the engine is off?

Thanks Bill!
Here's a pic of my rear main seal :
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...k/P3130046.jpg

Rear Main Oil Seal Edward R. Wojciechowski JR Jeep 10 March 15th 07 03:52 AM
96 Accord rear main seal replacement Grey-hound Technology 1 June 21st 06 12:51 AM
Rear Main Seal SandMan Ford Mustang 0 April 5th 05 10:02 AM
258 Rear Main Seal Wranglerjeep1 Jeep 12 January 25th 05 10:08 AM
Rear Main Seal Kevin VW air cooled 8 November 23rd 04 04:57 AM