Dead car disposal?

Old January 31st 14, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brian Gordon

Default Dead car disposal?

Our 2002 Saturn SL2 with only 110K threw a rod, making a significant hole in
the block. If, as expected, cost to repair is too close to the car's value,
what disposal method makes the most economic sense, selling it to a
junk/recycling yard, or donating it to a worthy cause for the tax deduction?

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
| Brian Gordon <-- brian dot gordon at cox dot net |
Old January 31st 14, 06:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2014-01-31, Brian Gordon > wrote:
> Our 2002 Saturn SL2 with only 110K threw a rod, making a significant hole in
> the block. If, as expected, cost to repair is too close to the car's value,
> what disposal method makes the most economic sense, selling it to a
> junk/recycling yard, or donating it to a worthy cause for the tax deduction?

The taxman clamped down on inflated donation values, so odds are the
most money comes with the most work, selling it to someone who wants it
for repair or parts. Next would likely be the wrecking yard.... last
would be donating. But it all depends what they value it at for tax
purposes... the deduction will only be worth your federal income tax
rate percentage of that value to you.

Old January 31st 14, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Brian Gordon > wrote:
>Our 2002 Saturn SL2 with only 110K threw a rod, making a significant hole in
>the block. If, as expected, cost to repair is too close to the car's value,
>what disposal method makes the most economic sense, selling it to a
>junk/recycling yard, or donating it to a worthy cause for the tax deduction?

Depends on your income. That's a question for a tax lawyer and not a
mechanic.
--scott
Old January 31st 14, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Friday, January 31, 2014 10:36:54 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Brian Gordon > wrote:
>
> >Our 2002 Saturn SL2 with only 110K threw a rod, making a significant hole in

> >the block. If, as expected, cost to repair is too close to the car's value,

> >what disposal method makes the most economic sense, selling it to a

> >junk/recycling yard, or donating it to a worthy cause for the tax deduction?

> Depends on your income. That's a question for a tax lawyer and not a
>
> mechanic.
>
> --scott

When donating a car (in some areas) you won't get a value to write off until the car has been sold at auction.

With all of the different ways to get rid of the car you're probably only looking at a $200 difference in what you'll get out of it. Lots of scrap yards in my area pay $400 for complete junk cars.
Old February 7th 14, 10:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC

On 1/31/14, 9:43 PM, m6onz5a wrote:
> On Friday, January 31, 2014 10:36:54 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Brian Gordon > wrote:
>>
>>> Our 2002 Saturn SL2 with only 110K threw a rod, making a significant hole in

>>> the block. If, as expected, cost to repair is too close to the car's value,

>>> what disposal method makes the most economic sense, selling it to a

>>> junk/recycling yard, or donating it to a worthy cause for the tax deduction?

>> Depends on your income. That's a question for a tax lawyer and not a
>>
>> mechanic.
>>
>> --scott
>>
>> --
>>
>> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

> When donating a car (in some areas) you won't get a value to write off until the car has been sold at auction.
>
> With all of the different ways to get rid of the car you're probably only looking at a $200 difference in what you'll get out of it. Lots of scrap yards in my area pay $400 for complete junk cars.

Ow crap! I was gypped back in 1995. Got $100 for an old isuzu that tore
the timing belt and was not a total junk :-(
extra $300 would not have hurt
Old February 7th 14, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brian Gordon

In article >,
Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC > wrote:
>On 1/31/14, 9:43 PM, m6onz5a wrote:

>>> Depends on your income. That's a question for a tax lawyer and not a
>>>
>>> mechanic.
>>>
>>> --scott
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

>> When donating a car (in some areas) you won't get a value to write off

>until the car has been sold at auction.
>>
>> With all of the different ways to get rid of the car you're probably

>only looking at a $200 difference in what you'll get out of it. Lots of
>scrap yards in my area pay $400 for complete junk cars.
>>

>Ow crap! I was gypped back in 1995. Got $100 for an old isuzu that tore
>the timing belt and was not a total junk :-(
>extra $300 would not have hurt

OP: Locally, I'been offered $200, $235, and $275, all plus towing and title
costs. A shame for a car worth close to $4K a week ago :-(

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old February 7th 14, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On 2/7/14, 5:44 PM, Brian Gordon wrote:
> In article >,
> Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC > wrote:

>>> When donating a car (in some areas) you won't get a value to write off

>> until the car has been sold at auction.
>>>
>>> With all of the different ways to get rid of the car you're probably

>> only looking at a $200 difference in what you'll get out of it. Lots of
>> scrap yards in my area pay $400 for complete junk cars.
>>>

>> Ow crap! I was gypped back in 1995. Got $100 for an old isuzu that tore
>> the timing belt and was not a total junk :-(
>> extra $300 would not have hurt

> OP: Locally, I'been offered $200, $235, and $275, all plus towing and title
> costs. A shame for a car worth close to $4K a week ago :-(

meaning what, the buyer picks up the tab for towing and title or you do?

Old February 7th 14, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brian Gordon

In article >,
Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC > wrote:
>On 2/7/14, 5:44 PM, Brian Gordon wrote:
>>> extra $300 would not have hurt

>> OP: Locally, I'been offered $200, $235, and $275, all plus towing and title
>> costs. A shame for a car worth close to $4K a week ago :-(
>>

>meaning what, the buyer picks up the tab for towing and title or you do?

Buyer provides the tow and pays for the title transfer.

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old February 10th 14, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 1/30/2014 9:56 PM, Brian Gordon wrote:
> Our 2002 Saturn SL2 with only 110K threw a rod, making a significant hole in
> the block. If, as expected, cost to repair is too close to the car's value,
> what disposal method makes the most economic sense, selling it to a
> junk/recycling yard, or donating it to a worthy cause for the tax deduction?

If you live in the right part of the country, you could just let it sit
in your yard and rust [1] with a bunch of other crap for 50 years - very
common in Indiana and parts farther south.

[1] Yes, I am aware that the body panels will not rust.

--
T0m $herm@n

Renewed for you, Free Music Search Engine with the disposal of yourdesired song list to play azgon BMW 0 November 12th 11 06:54 AM
Battery disposal LAW Name Audi 0 March 28th 06 07:12 AM
disposal of old radiator Ryan Underwood Technology 5 October 2nd 05 02:03 AM
Disposal of Refrigerant 12 dichlorodifluoromethane? Wayne Pein Technology 4 April 13th 05 11:26 PM
Dead car disposal Gordon Airporte General 0 April 9th 04 05:36 PM