A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto newsgroups » Technology
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Canton/Mecca oil filter observation...

Old February 7th 14, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N
external usenet poster

Default Canton/Mecca oil filter observation...

Probably of limited interest to most, but some of you may remember/have used these... I have two of them; one was given to me by a friend ages ago and is probably at least 15-20 years old; from back when they went by Canton/Mecca instead of Canton Racing and CM Filter. The other is a couple years old, purchased when I got my Heep.

It's oil change time and I'd happened to come across the old one while sorting all of my stuff; they're both disassembled for a cleaning now. I'll give one to a friend and keep using the other on the Heep (oddly, they're both 3/4" thread; the old one was purchased for a WCVW engine, either a GTI, Scirocco, or Corrado G60.) The interesting thing that I noticed is that while they look as if they're constructed similarly and use the same seal kits, the seals are inverted on the old one; instead of having the O-ring at the base end and the big flat seal at the end cap end they're the other way around, and the big flat seal was apparently acting as an ADBV for the filter. CM's current literature explicitly states that their filters do NOT have ADBVs and in fact the newer one doesn't. It's not an issue for my current application but I'm thinking that I might keep the old one in case I ever need to use it in a base down configuration.

Wonder why they made the change? Restriction to flow? Never heard of anyone complaining about that with any C/M filter, but I suppose it's possible....

nate
Ads
Old February 7th 14, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N
external usenet poster

Default Canton/Mecca oil filter observation...

On Friday, February 7, 2014 2:03:38 PM UTC-5, N8N wrote:
> Probably of limited interest to most, but some of you may remember/have used these... I have two of them; one was given to me by a friend ages ago and is probably at least 15-20 years old; from back when they went by Canton/Mecca instead of Canton Racing and CM Filter. The other is a couple years old, purchased when I got my Heep.
>
>
>
> It's oil change time and I'd happened to come across the old one while sorting all of my stuff; they're both disassembled for a cleaning now. I'll give one to a friend and keep using the other on the Heep (oddly, they're both 3/4" thread; the old one was purchased for a WCVW engine, either a GTI, Scirocco, or Corrado G60.) The interesting thing that I noticed is that while they look as if they're constructed similarly and use the same seal kits, the seals are inverted on the old one; instead of having the O-ring at the base end and the big flat seal at the end cap end they're the other way around, and the big flat seal was apparently acting as an ADBV for the filter. CM's current literature explicitly states that their filters do NOT have ADBVs and in fact the newer one doesn't. It's not an issue for my current application but I'm thinking that I might keep the old one in case I ever need to use it in a base down configuration.
>
>
>
> Wonder why they made the change? Restriction to flow? Never heard of anyone complaining about that with any C/M filter, but I suppose it's possible...
>
>

Correction; now they apparently have redesigned the filters yet again; the brandy new ones have a four bolt endcap instead of a screw off one and are advertised as *having* an ADBV. What's old is new again?

nate