Gas for standby generator from car. How to method?

Old January 2nd 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Gas for standby generator from car. How to method?

Modern automobile gas tanks are designed to prevent siphoning.

I would like to put a 'T' in the gas line with a valve and a coupling
to the side.

When I need to fill my standby generator I would like to pump it from
my cart using its fuel pump.

Is there a point in the line that is easier to add the 'T' etc?

Will the computer allow the fuel pump to run with the engine off or
does it have to run?

1995 Mercury Grand Marquis and 2001 Cadillac De Ville.

Is there a 'kit' that someone sells?

Thanks.

Old January 2nd 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Modern automobile gas tanks are designed to prevent siphoning.
>
> I would like to put a 'T' in the gas line with a valve and a coupling
> to the side.
>
> When I need to fill my standby generator I would like to pump it from
> my cart using its fuel pump.
>
> Is there a point in the line that is easier to add the 'T' etc?
>
> Will the computer allow the fuel pump to run with the engine off or
> does it have to run?
>
> 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis and 2001 Cadillac De Ville.
>
> Is there a 'kit' that someone sells?

This used to be a common modification for oil field workers' cars. They ran
hoses to the
trunk or pickup bed, and used the gasoline to wash their tools, test
equipment, etc.

I would not recommend it, even though you could do it.

If I were of such a mind, I would install the T after the fuel filter, if
feasible.
The fuel pump will normally activate to power up the FI system when you turn
on the key.

Again, while possible, I think this is an accident waiting for an
opportunity. Find a better
solution.

Old January 2nd 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article >,
> wrote:

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Modern automobile gas tanks are designed to prevent siphoning.
> >
> > I would like to put a 'T' in the gas line with a valve and a coupling
> > to the side.
> >
> > When I need to fill my standby generator I would like to pump it from
> > my cart using its fuel pump.
> >
> > Is there a point in the line that is easier to add the 'T' etc?
> >
> > Will the computer allow the fuel pump to run with the engine off or
> > does it have to run?
> >
> > 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis and 2001 Cadillac De Ville.
> >
> > Is there a 'kit' that someone sells?

> This used to be a common modification for oil field workers' cars. They ran
> hoses to the
> trunk or pickup bed, and used the gasoline to wash their tools, test
> equipment, etc.
>
> I would not recommend it, even though you could do it.
>
> If I were of such a mind, I would install the T after the fuel filter, if
> feasible.
> The fuel pump will normally activate to power up the FI system when you turn
> on the key.
>
> Again, while possible, I think this is an accident waiting for an
> opportunity. Find a better
> solution.

I'm curious as to why you think it such a bad idea?

Dunno about "other places", since I've never had the situation arise,
but I once found myself stranded in the middle of nowhere Michigan, out
of gas, and a long hike to the nearest source. Was fortunate enough to
have a Michigan State Police cruiser notice the truck, and put 2 + 2
together to come up with "This guy trudging down the road with what
looks like a hundred-year-old gas can in hand probably goes with that
truck I saw a few miles back" when he went by me about an hour after I
started walking. He flipped a u-turn, we chatted about the problem
("Just out of gas? Not a problem!", he says), and he gave me a lift back
to the truck. Where he proceeded to pop the hood of the cruiser, unroll
an obviously dedicated-to-the-task hose from a just-as-obviously
dedicated bracket mounted on the firewall, and run it down the filler
neck of the truck. After turning a valve that I didn't get a good look
at, but was close to, if not part of, what looked suspiciously like a
fuel line, he wound up the engine of the cruiser a bit, and over the
course of the next 5-10 minutes, pumped a couple gallons of gas into the
truck. No muss, no fuss, no bother. That was the day I found out that
most of the MSP fleet is (or was, when this incident happened - Seems to
me it was '89 or '90) plumbed up the same way, and for exactly that
purpose. If it's good enough for the MSP (a notoriously anal bunch when
it comes to vehicle safety issues) I can't see it being as dangerous as
you seem to suggest.

I, for one, think it's a decent idea. But I probably count as biased,
since I've been the beneficiary of a car rigged for the trick.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old January 2nd 06, 11:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote

> Modern automobile gas tanks are designed to prevent siphoning.
>
> I would like to put a 'T' in the gas line with a valve and a coupling
> to the side.
>
> When I need to fill my standby generator I would like to pump it from
> my cart using its fuel pump.
>
> Is there a point in the line that is easier to add the 'T' etc?
>
> Will the computer allow the fuel pump to run with the engine off or
> does it have to run?
>
> 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis and 2001 Cadillac De Ville.

If your Merc is like my 88 T-Bird, you can tap into the fuel rail's pressure
test port (schraeder fitting) under the hood, and ground the tan/light-green
wire at the EEC-IV diagnostic plug. The pump will keep running as long
as the key is on. If your 95 is OBD2, then never mind.

Old January 2nd 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Don Bruder" > wrote in message

> I'm curious as to why you think it such a bad idea?
> I, for one, think it's a decent idea. But I probably count as biased,
> since I've been the beneficiary of a car rigged for the trick.

As I said, it has been done. Depends on who installs it, and who uses
it as to how safe it is.

Old January 2nd 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

That goes for driving the car as well..

Old January 2nd 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> That goes for driving the car as well..

Sure does.
Had a friend burned to death in a situation like this.
He was neither stupid nor careless, but his pickup went up like a
flashbulb.

Old January 2nd 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Was he injured? Did they find the cause of ignition?

Old January 3rd 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Was he injured? Did they find the cause of ignition?

Crispy critters... there was little left.
He was driving on the highway when it happened, and I don't know
exactly what precipitated the incident.