Feathering on Tires after Alignment

Old November 1st 05, 04:14 PM
Caprice85

Default Feathering on Tires after Alignment

Hi,

I got new General 50,000 tires and an alignment , both from Sears,
about 1,000 miles ago. Already, both tires are feathering, in a front
to back direction, all over the surface (not just outer an inner
edges). I would guess this means Sears hosed up the alignment, right?

This means toe in / toe out is at 0 degrees ? I read somewhere that
a 0 degree toe in / toe out would result in feathering.

Thanks

Old November 1st 05, 05:48 PM
Shep

Actually on most frt wheel drive vehicles with rack and pinion, 0 would be
about right, rear w/d with old style steering linkage has more toe in, did
they give an afeer alignment printout.
ups.com...

Old November 1st 05, 07:12 PM
oldkid

so you own an 85 caprice?

Old November 2nd 05, 12:41 AM
Caprice85

>>so you own an 85 caprice? <<

Yep.

Old November 2nd 05, 12:55 AM
Caprice85

Shep wrote :
>>did

they give an afeer alignment printout. <<

Yes. They set the toe rigfht in the middle of the upper and lower
bounds. So, at least according to the printout, the toe is correct. The
range is .05 inch to .10 inch, and front and left are both set to .08.

The feathering is front to back, not side to side. I'm used to seeing
it side to side, not front to back.

Old November 7th 05, 08:48 PM
Raybender

Caprice85 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got new General 50,000 tires and an alignment , both from Sears,
> about 1,000 miles ago. Already, both tires are feathering, in a front
> to back direction, all over the surface (not just outer an inner
> edges). I would guess this means Sears hosed up the alignment, right?
>
> This means toe in / toe out is at 0 degrees ? I read somewhere that
> a 0 degree toe in / toe out would result in feathering.
>
> Thanks

Most likely front struts are bad - my guess. Incorrect toe-in would be
side-to-side feathering.

Frank