C5 Heat "issue"

Old January 22nd 05, 04:19 AM

Default C5 Heat "issue"

Happy new owner of a used 2000 magnetic red convertible. This replaced
our 94 competition yellow coupe. When I bought the car it had a
problem with the heater. Thought maybe the group could help out, but
found nothing on google so far. Anyway, when in heat mode (regardless
of vent/defroster settings) it blows cold air to the drivers side
(climate control set at max 90F) but perfect heat to the passenger
side. Is there any known issues with the GM climate contol panel, or is
this perhaps a sensor/vacuum issue? Apparently the A/C works
correctly, but I have not actually tried it (14 degrees today on the
way home).

Thanks for any help you can provide. If possible, please email me. I
have not got the group going in Agent yet.
Steve
Waiting for Ohio to be warm for the new convertible!!

Old January 23rd 05, 02:34 AM
SkyhawkXP

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:00:19 -0600, Jon > opined:

>Someone on the Corvette forum is bound to know the answer
>www.corvetteforum.com

Thanks Jon, I will give them a try.
--
SkyhawkXP
Remove SPAM when replying via email
Old January 23rd 05, 03:02 PM
Dad

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Happy new owner of a used 2000 magnetic red convertible. This replaced
> our 94 competition yellow coupe. When I bought the car it had a
> problem with the heater. Thought maybe the group could help out, but
> found nothing on google so far. Anyway, when in heat mode (regardless
> of vent/defroster settings) it blows cold air to the drivers side
> (climate control set at max 90F) but perfect heat to the passenger
> side. Is there any known issues with the GM climate contol panel, or is
> this perhaps a sensor/vacuum issue? Apparently the A/C works
> correctly, but I have not actually tried it (14 degrees today on the
> way home).
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide. If possible, please email me. I
> have not got the group going in Agent yet.
> Steve
> Waiting for Ohio to be warm for the new convertible!!

Just a wild guess but did your C5 have the column lock fix completed? It's
something you should know and if you don't you should find out. If it was
you stand a good chance of a control for the A/C doors being screwed up.
There are 4 pages of diagnostics and test procedures plus 411 pages of
further test and repair that follow those, schematics included. If you can
narrow down just what it is or isn't doing I can scan the pertinent pages
and email them to you. First off is it a manual or automatic, (I assume
automatic as they dropped the manual but not sure of the year)?

Ohio also but I put 2,800 miles on it this month.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old January 23rd 05, 03:11 PM
SkyhawkXP

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:02:48 -0500, "Dad" >
opined:

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Happy new owner of a used 2000 magnetic red convertible. This replaced
>> our 94 competition yellow coupe. When I bought the car it had a
>> problem with the heater. Thought maybe the group could help out, but
>> found nothing on google so far. Anyway, when in heat mode (regardless
>> of vent/defroster settings) it blows cold air to the drivers side
>> (climate control set at max 90F) but perfect heat to the passenger
>> side. Is there any known issues with the GM climate contol panel, or is
>> this perhaps a sensor/vacuum issue? Apparently the A/C works
>> correctly, but I have not actually tried it (14 degrees today on the
>> way home).
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can provide. If possible, please email me. I
>> have not got the group going in Agent yet.
>> Steve
>> Waiting for Ohio to be warm for the new convertible!!
>>

>Just a wild guess but did your C5 have the column lock fix completed? It's
>something you should know and if you don't you should find out. If it was
>you stand a good chance of a control for the A/C doors being screwed up.
>There are 4 pages of diagnostics and test procedures plus 411 pages of
>further test and repair that follow those, schematics included. If you can
>narrow down just what it is or isn't doing I can scan the pertinent pages
>and email them to you. First off is it a manual or automatic, (I assume
>automatic as they dropped the manual but not sure of the year)?
>
>Ohio also but I put 2,800 miles on it this month.

Yes, according to the records I have, it was done August 30th, 2001 at
Bill Estes Chevrolet in Indianapolis. It is an automatic.

I also posted over at corvetteforum. There are a couple of articles
regarding similar problems. I tried pulling the number 18 and 27 fuse
to reset the vent position motor to no avail. Also tried just pulling
the negative battery cable for 15 minutes which was another fix
suggested. Since it is not defaulting to the defroster, I have not
checked for battery acid eaten vacuum lines under the battery tray
that can cause a problem. That will be my next project.

Had 75K on our 94 coupe, but usually put it to bed when the first snow
fell. The wife just doesn't trust other drivers. <g>

Thanks for your efforts!
Old January 23rd 05, 03:43 PM
Dad

"SkyhawkXP" > wrote in message
news
>>There are 4 pages of diagnostics and test procedures plus 411 pages of
>>further test and repair that follow those, schematics included. If you
>>can
>>narrow down just what it is or isn't doing I can scan the pertinent pages
>>and email them to you. First off is it a manual or automatic, (I assume
>>automatic as they dropped the manual but not sure of the year)?
>>
>>Ohio also but I put 2,800 miles on it this month.

> Yes, according to the records I have, it was done August 30th, 2001 at
> Bill Estes Chevrolet in Indianapolis. It is an automatic.
>
> I also posted over at corvetteforum. There are a couple of articles
> regarding similar problems. I tried pulling the number 18 and 27 fuse
> to reset the vent position motor to no avail. Also tried just pulling
> the negative battery cable for 15 minutes which was another fix
> suggested. Since it is not defaulting to the defroster, I have not
> checked for battery acid eaten vacuum lines under the battery tray
> that can cause a problem. That will be my next project.
>
> Had 75K on our 94 coupe, but usually put it to bed when the first snow
> fell. The wife just doesn't trust other drivers. <g>
>
> Thanks for your efforts!
> --
> SkyhawkXP
> Remove SPAM when replying via email

I can't stress enough to check the column lock update, you have vacuum at
the ignition switch and the vacuum mode actuator for the drivers side in
front of that. It should go back to the dealer that changed the column lock
harness.

I strongly doubt that there is a battery leak issue on the vacuum tubes
before there would be an electrical problem.

Good luck.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old January 23rd 05, 04:50 PM
SkyhawkXP

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:43:14 -0500, "Dad" >
opined:

> can't stress enough to check the column lock update, you have vacuum at
>the ignition switch and the vacuum mode actuator for the drivers side in
>front of that. It should go back to the dealer that changed the column lock
>harness.
>
>I strongly doubt that there is a battery leak issue on the vacuum tubes
>before there would be an electrical problem.
>
>Good luck.

Thanks, I shall get it checked out.
Old February 9th 05, 02:18 AM
SkyhawkXP

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Happy new owner of a used 2000 magnetic red convertible. This replaced
>> our 94 competition yellow coupe. When I bought the car it had a
>> problem with the heater. Thought maybe the group could help out, but
>> found nothing on google so far. Anyway, when in heat mode (regardless
>> of vent/defroster settings) it blows cold air to the drivers side
>> (climate control set at max 90F) but perfect heat to the passenger
>> side. Is there any known issues with the GM climate contol panel, or is
>> this perhaps a sensor/vacuum issue? Apparently the A/C works
>> correctly, but I have not actually tried it (14 degrees today on the
>> way home).

Thanks to Dad and others for the ideas. Turned out this issue was
caused by the left air mix actuator, which was $180 and a couple of
hours to put in.
--
SkyhawkXP
Carpe Diem