saturn SL2..problems cranking after new engine rebuild

Old September 28th 04, 08:18 PM
saturn_SL2

Default saturn SL2..problems cranking after new engine rebuild

I have recently put a new engine into my 1993 saturn SL2.This ran me around
600 just for the bearings and gaskets.Now my car isnt wanting to crank and
all I am getting is a sort of clicking.The engine seems to be turning and
i replaced the starter with a new one and had it tested.Now,I've run out
of ideas on how to fix my car,and really cannot afford to buy the parts
all over again.Can someone give me a few ideas to try?I've tried checkin
the starter,timing,cams,crankshaft,spark plugs,and anything else that
would be the general idea on what to check.Anyone with ideas PLEASE...i am
open to all of them.I would really like to keep my baby,and everyone tells
me my car is a throw away,and will run me more to fix then to sell it.

Old September 28th 04, 08:47 PM
Art

Sounds like a bad battery to me.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old September 29th 04, 04:12 PM
saturn_SL2

we have replaced the battery with a brand new one,and also recently been
told that,saturn changed the starters every year from 1991-1995,so there
are about 4 different starters out there.I called my local saturn
dealership,and they confirmed this as well.I did however pick up a new
starter last nite and at 4 am this morning,(in the snow of colorado where
i live),we put the new starter on,and it cranked right up?It seems that
there was a "quirk" in ever year of starter from 91' - 95',so the starters
changed every year,until the problem was fixed.Weird??I would say so.I
thought I would let you know,so anyone else having the problems doesnt
attempt the same thing ive done.I have had mechanic after mechanic look at
the problem,and noone could diagnois the problem,b/c the starters were
identical.It seems,if you do not match the starter with the exact YEAR,it
isnt going to work.(and most parts you can use up to a 1995 part on a
1993) I love my car and I would not trade it for the world.I am the 5th
owner of my car since 1993,when it came off the show room floor.I knew
nothing of saturns and ive always drove chevy's.Ive never encountered a
problem like this in my life,But I would not trade my car for the
world,because no matter how many problems Ive had putting it back
together,It will be worth it,b/c those of use who own the 1993 Saturn
SL2'S,we love them,and they run like champs! Thanks again,and I hope this
helps anyone else out

Saturn problems Blah Blah Saturn 1 September 28th 04 03:42 AM
These problems normal for a 5-year-old Saturn? Philip Nasadowski Saturn 7 August 30th 04 03:55 AM
Saturn Messes Up for 11th Time in a Row!!!! George Saturn 9 August 23rd 04 02:06 AM
1995 Saturn SL1 transmission problems mstrieg Saturn 5 June 9th 04 02:49 AM
Saturn Lemons- epidemic flaws, engine cracks, ball joints misterfact Antique cars 0 January 6th 04 06:04 PM