Rust concerns on car from Honolulu

Old April 28th 04, 07:35 AM
Paul Stivers

Default Rust concerns on car from Honolulu

Should I be concerned about buying a 2000 Toyota Camary Solara that spent
its first 3 years in Honolulu? I read an old post discussing rust on the
rear quarter panels of Camarys in humid or salty climates. If an
inspection by a Toyota service technician comes up clean, should that
alleviate my concerns?

Thanks for any thoughts.

--
Paul S.
Old April 28th 04, 07:51 PM
Geoff Miller

Paul Stivers > writes:

> Should I be concerned about buying a 2000 Toyota Camary
> Solara that spent its first 3 years in Honolulu? I
> read an old post discussing rust on the rear quarter
> panels of Camarys in humid or salty climates. If an
> inspection by a Toyota service technician comes up
> clean, should that alleviate my concerns?

The car should be okay if it spent most of its time in
and around Honolulu and on southern and leeward side of
O'ahu. If it had been garaged on the Windward Side or
the North Shore, that might be cause for some concern.

Geoff

--
"When life hands you a lemon, pull
out a gun and start shooting."

Old April 29th 04, 04:59 PM
Mike Conway

Toyota has, I believe, a 6 year unlimited mile corrosion perforation
warranty...not sure if there are any geographic limitations to that part of the
warranty, though...

Mike C

Old May 1st 04, 11:50 PM
Tha Ghee

"Paul Stivers" > wrote in message
> Should I be concerned about buying a 2000 Toyota Camary Solara that spent
> its first 3 years in Honolulu? I read an old post discussing rust on the
> rear quarter panels of Camarys in humid or salty climates. If an
> inspection by a Toyota service technician comes up clean, should that
> alleviate my concerns?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
>
> --
> Paul S.

it's not very humid in Hawaii, and from what I understand Hawaii cars are
less prone to rust.

Old May 2nd 04, 06:26 PM
Paul Stivers

"Tha Ghee" > wrote:

> it's not very humid in Hawaii, and from what I understand Hawaii cars
> are less prone to rust.

Thanks for the replies. I checked with several dealers. Most don't think
it will be a problem. In any event, I asked the dealer service center to
pay special attention to the inspection for corrosion. I'll let the group
know how it comes out.

--
Paul S.

Old May 3rd 04, 08:10 PM
Geoff Miller

Tha Ghee > writes:

> it's not very humid in Hawaii, and from what I understand
> Hawaii cars are less prone to rust.

Er, what color is the sky on your planet?

Geoff

--
"An American without a sweatshirt is like a feminist
without body odor." -- Steve Bougerolle