CH Flight Yoke and pedals for racing?

Old August 28th 05, 10:57 AM
MDAMSTEL

Default CH Flight Yoke and pedals for racing?

Does anyone have experience with the CH Products Flight Sim Yoke and
Pro Pedals for car racing in particular FIA GTR?

MDAMSTEL
Old August 28th 05, 02:36 PM
Jeff Reid

> Does anyone have experience with the CH Products Flight Sim Yoke and
> Pro Pedals for car racing in particular FIA GTR?

The pro pedals have way to light of a feel for racing. They're really
meant to be used as rudder pedals, and the pivoting for toe brakes
on an airplane. You lock them into place to use as car pedals, but
the positioning is awkward and there's very little resistance.

Old August 28th 05, 05:32 PM
Steve Blankenship

"Jeff Reid" > wrote in message
> > Does anyone have experience with the CH Products Flight Sim Yoke and
> > Pro Pedals for car racing in particular FIA GTR?

> The pro pedals have way to light of a feel for racing. They're really
> meant to be used as rudder pedals, and the pivoting for toe brakes
> on an airplane. You lock them into place to use as car pedals, but
> the positioning is awkward and there's very little resistance.

True up to a point, but not completely. I've been using the non-pro version
for years, and they're the most accurate, durable & comfortable pedals I've
ever tried. In fairness, I did do a few things to tweak them. I mounted
them on risers (angle-cut lengths of 2x8 w a cross-brace, painted black for
speed!) to lift them up and tilt them forward a bit so they'd be at an angle
more like you experience sitting in a car seat. Plus I rigged a squashball
under the brake for resistance. The base butts against the wall, and I
could push myself over backwards without moving them a millimeter. Low tech
& low bucks - the perfect solution! ;-) I have my Logitech wheels pedal
wiring plugged into them so I don't even have to bother with separate
controllers. heck, if I were scratch-building a single seater I'd want a
setup just about like it. With the pivot right under your ankle your legs
don't move when you pedal them, so you never get tired or uncomfortable.
After all, they're styled after plane pedals that have to be operated
constantly for hours. Biggest issue I could see with the yoke is the
limited travel; I think it only does about 180 degrees.

I wouldn't recommend that setup as first choice for GTR, but for someone
into flight sims as well as racing ones who doesn't want to buy multiple
controllers, I think the CH setup would serve fine for racing use.

SB

Old August 28th 05, 07:58 PM
Larry

I used these years ago, but one thing to watch out for. If the yoke
clamping hasn't changed, and your desk has a rounded edge (like most do), it
won't stay in place.

It only reaches back about 1 inch, and there is no deep, third center arm.
You can clamp it all you want but very slight downward pressure and it will
rotate down and off the desk. Quickly.

This is the same reason I had to return the DFP I purchased. Dumb clamping
system.

-Larry

Old August 29th 05, 11:00 AM

I already have the CH gear, but just wanted to know befor buying the
game. I installed the demo and the yoke and pedals work fine, even
separate axis for brake and gas.

Old August 29th 05, 11:03 AM

.... and the edges of my desk are square, lucky me!