rFactor Release Update

Old August 28th 05, 07:14 AM
jason moyer

Larry wrote:
> Re-Issue of SCGT? Did I miss something?

F1 2000...F1 2000CS...F1 2001...F1 2002...F1C...

Not that I haven't played the hell out of everything they've put out,
I'm just skeptical about anything rFactor related after hearing it all
before.

Old August 28th 05, 03:35 PM
Byron Forbes

"Goy Larsen" > wrote in message
> Tony Rickard wrote:
>>
>> Byron Forbes wrote:
>>
>> > This is all over the news. We have all been ripped off - there is
>> > no
>> > such thing as rFactor! It's all been a huge hoax from the outset!

>> If it wasn't for the windfall I'm due for helping a Nigerian Prince get
>> his money out of the country I'd be worried I'd wasted my money...

> Make sure you get the "My money went to Nigeria and all I got was this
> lousy t-shirt" t-shirt
>

> Beers and cheers
> (uncle) Goy
>
> "When two or more people are gathered together in my name,
> they shall perform the Parrot Sketch..."
>
> --Our Lord John Cleese--

LOL - so who didn't get a few of these emails?

I followed thru on one of those just to see what the catch was - after
much BS they claim to be broke and need you to forward them money for the
legal expenses (for anyone that wondered)

Old August 28th 05, 03:45 PM
Byron Forbes

"Mitch_A" > wrote in message
> Way way back (ICR1 days) I met face to face with Rahal.as he was on a
> publicity tour trying to get HP to fork over some sponsor dollars so I
> asked him how he felt about sims. Lets just say he blew sims off quicker
> than he spun at indy. He said that without feedback from g's its useless
> as any kind training tool and didnt think it ever could be usefull. (I
> completely disagree but thats me)
>
> Lets just say Rahal comes from a different generation (even though age
> wise he isnt that old).

Sounds like the words of someone who's comperter illeterate. Mind you,
why should someone who gets to do the real thing worry about sims?

I thought it was interesting to read, just the other day, that both
Williams and McLaren both have simulators for their drivers. As a way of
raising money, I wouldn't be surprised to see these teams get into the
racing simulator (for the masses) business in the not too distant future. I
suppose atm it's a matter of not giving it to the other teams, but as other
teams end up with effectively the same thing, we might see some fruit from
this. Maybe even one that combines the best elements of them all released by
the FIA? Dream on..................... I'd imagine the track modelling must
be literally inch perfect! Bet the sim isn't half bad either!

Old August 28th 05, 04:01 PM
Byron Forbes

"jason moyer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dave Henrie wrote:
>
>> Will rFactor be the final word in sims? I doubt it. But it is far
>> enough evolved from previous titles so that we all will see a 'better'
>> simming enviroment.

> Oddly, people were saying the same thing about ISI's last re-issue of
> SCGT.

Yes, my worry too. Almost 8 years since GPL - it's got to happen
eventually.......doesn't it?

Old August 28th 05, 04:59 PM
Dave Henrie

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in

..au:

> I thought it was interesting to read, just the other day, that
> both
> Williams and McLaren both have simulators for their drivers. As a way
> of raising money, I wouldn't be surprised to see these teams get into
> the racing simulator (for the masses) business in the not too distant
> future. I suppose atm it's a matter of not giving it to the other
> teams, but as other teams end up with effectively the same thing, we
> might see some fruit from this. Maybe even one that combines the best
> elements of them all released by the FIA? Dream
> on..................... I'd imagine the track modelling must be
> literally inch perfect! Bet the sim isn't half bad either!

I have seen footage of the Williams Sim and it's a movable platform that
does induce some g's by tilting front to back and side to side.
Also realize, Almost all f1 teams simulate the race dozens of times between
each event to finalize strategies and produce baseline setups before they
get to the track. But these simulations are all done in a non graphical
way. You might as well be looking at a heart monitor. Everything is
traces and text...no 3d car zooming around a bumpy or not-bumpy 3d circuit.
Old August 28th 05, 08:01 PM
Larry

Oh, I highly disagree.

I highly enjoyed SCGT. The others were a waste of my time.

-Larry

ups.com...

Old August 28th 05, 09:43 PM
jason moyer

Larry wrote:

> Oh, I highly disagree.
>
> I highly enjoyed SCGT. The others were a waste of my time.

I would agree with that too.

Old August 29th 05, 04:19 AM
J.D. Ellis

Mitch_A wrote:
> He said that without feedback from g's its useless as any
> kind training tool and didnt think it ever could be usefull.

I tend to agree to a certain degree. Sims aren't as effective in
teaching you how to drive, given the differences in visual vs. visceral
inputs, etc. Their strength is providing an environment to improve
one's racecraft, strategy, etc., IMHO.

-jde
Old August 29th 05, 03:39 PM
Byron Forbes

"Dave Henrie" > wrote in message
. 97.136...
> "Byron Forbes" > wrote in
>
> .au:
>
>> I thought it was interesting to read, just the other day, that
>> both
>> Williams and McLaren both have simulators for their drivers. As a way
>> of raising money, I wouldn't be surprised to see these teams get into
>> the racing simulator (for the masses) business in the not too distant
>> future. I suppose atm it's a matter of not giving it to the other
>> teams, but as other teams end up with effectively the same thing, we
>> might see some fruit from this. Maybe even one that combines the best
>> elements of them all released by the FIA? Dream
>> on..................... I'd imagine the track modelling must be
>> literally inch perfect! Bet the sim isn't half bad either!
>>

> I have seen footage of the Williams Sim and it's a movable platform that
> does induce some g's by tilting front to back and side to side.
> Also realize, Almost all f1 teams simulate the race dozens of times
> between
> each event to finalize strategies and produce baseline setups before they
> get to the track. But these simulations are all done in a non graphical
> way. You might as well be looking at a heart monitor. Everything is
> traces and text...no 3d car zooming around a bumpy or not-bumpy 3d
> circuit.

Hmmmm, in an article at Williams in the news section titled "Good
preparation is crucial" it specifically says the drivers are learning the
lines via this sim. It says atm only Williams and McLaren have such a
system. It is still there - if you hurry you might catch it b4 it is
snipped.

Arizona Emissions Update! Laurie S. Ford Mustang 0 January 24th 05 08:26 PM
rFactor update Mitch_A Simulators 3 November 15th 04 08:59 PM
The Gallery Plug Saga Update Colin VW air cooled 2 November 12th 04 04:02 AM
West Racing update Paulinho Simulators 6 October 27th 04 03:21 PM