98 Civic acting up about 30 seconds after driving, goes away after 10-15 seconds. Hesitation... Help please.

Old October 17th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
85miles

Default 98 Civic acting up about 30 seconds after driving, goes away after 10-15 seconds. Hesitation... Help please.

My 98 civic EX has this weird problem

I start the car (at any time whether its cold or not) and begin to
drive. After about 30 seconds the car starts to shudder or hesitate,
as if it is suffocating or not getting enough fuel.

It is most noticeable with my foot just lightly pressing gas, if I
floor it the problem quickly goes away until I shut off the car again
and re-start it.

It happens every time I restart the car, as If theres air in the gas
line which enters the injectors at some point causing this problem.

The check engine light came on, and I had it scanned for this reading
Code: P1457 EVAP leak.

What could it be? Does anyone know this code?

I think it could be a control valve or something near the gas tank...
almost like the valve is not fully closing when i shut off the car
allowing air to enter the line? Does this sound right?

Ive read somewhere that this problem can be caused when you over fill
the gas tank, which i have done a few times since buying this car in
august 07, though I don't overfill it anymore.

One other thing I have noticed with my car, only when the car is cold
that when I release the clutch going into first the car shutters a lot
no matter how slow or easy I pull out the clutch. I have also noticed
that sometimes shifting from first to second or second to third I
think my clutch is slipping (doesn't do it all the time though). Like
it keeps reving sometimes even with the clutch fully out. Could this
be my friction plate going? Or may it be tied to the above problem?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Old October 18th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

85miles wrote:
> My 98 civic EX has this weird problem
>
> I start the car (at any time whether its cold or not) and begin to
> drive. After about 30 seconds the car starts to shudder or hesitate,
> as if it is suffocating or not getting enough fuel.
>
> It is most noticeable with my foot just lightly pressing gas, if I
> floor it the problem quickly goes away until I shut off the car again
> and re-start it.
>
> It happens every time I restart the car, as If theres air in the gas
> line which enters the injectors at some point causing this problem.
>
> The check engine light came on, and I had it scanned for this reading
> Code: P1457 EVAP leak.
>
> What could it be? Does anyone know this code?
>
> I think it could be a control valve or something near the gas tank...
> almost like the valve is not fully closing when i shut off the car
> allowing air to enter the line? Does this sound right?
>
> Ive read somewhere that this problem can be caused when you over fill
> the gas tank, which i have done a few times since buying this car in
> august 07, though I don't overfill it anymore.
>
> One other thing I have noticed with my car, only when the car is cold
> that when I release the clutch going into first the car shutters a lot
> no matter how slow or easy I pull out the clutch. I have also noticed
> that sometimes shifting from first to second or second to third I
> think my clutch is slipping (doesn't do it all the time though). Like
> it keeps reving sometimes even with the clutch fully out. Could this
> be my friction plate going? Or may it be tied to the above problem?
>
> Thanks for all your help in advance!

----------------------------

It would help greatly to know your MILEAGE, but here's a couple guesses:
Your Throttle Position sensor may be shot, especially if you have
CRUISE. You probably need a bottle of injector cleaner. You likely have
some AIR in your cooling system. Fill your reservoir to MAX three days
in a row. If you need to add a second time, you had air. If it's
impossible to drive slowly in first gear without things getting 'jumpy'
at a certain RPM (same RPM as highway speed) your TPS is shot. See eBay.

'Curly'
Old October 24th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
85miles

On Oct 18, 2:14 am, motsco_ > wrote:
> 85miles wrote:
> > My 98 civic EX has this weird problem

> > I start the car (at any time whether its cold or not) and begin to
> > drive. After about 30 seconds the car starts to shudder or hesitate,
> > as if it is suffocating or not getting enough fuel.

> > It is most noticeable with my foot just lightly pressing gas, if I
> > floor it the problem quickly goes away until I shut off the car again
> > and re-start it.

> > It happens every time I restart the car, as If theres air in the gas
> > line which enters the injectors at some point causing this problem.

> > The check engine light came on, and I had it scanned for this reading
> > Code: P1457 EVAP leak.

> > What could it be? Does anyone know this code?

> > I think it could be a control valve or something near the gas tank...
> > almost like the valve is not fully closing when i shut off the car
> > allowing air to enter the line? Does this sound right?

> > Ive read somewhere that this problem can be caused when you over fill
> > the gas tank, which i have done a few times since buying this car in
> > august 07, though I don't overfill it anymore.

> > One other thing I have noticed with my car, only when the car is cold
> > that when I release the clutch going into first the car shutters a lot
> > no matter how slow or easy I pull out the clutch. I have also noticed
> > that sometimes shifting from first to second or second to third I
> > think my clutch is slipping (doesn't do it all the time though). Like
> > it keeps reving sometimes even with the clutch fully out. Could this
> > be my friction plate going? Or may it be tied to the above problem?

> > Thanks for all your help in advance!

> ----------------------------
>
> It would help greatly to know your MILEAGE, but here's a couple guesses:
> Your Throttle Position sensor may be shot, especially if you have
> CRUISE. You probably need a bottle of injector cleaner. You likely have
> some AIR in your cooling system. Fill your reservoir to MAX three days
> in a row. If you need to add a second time, you had air. If it's
> impossible to drive slowly in first gear without things getting 'jumpy'
> at a certain RPM (same RPM as highway speed) your TPS is shot. See eBay.
>
> 'Curly'

mileage is 236,000, Coolant is full, has always been full.

The problem I have only lasts 10 seconds... it starts about 30 seconds
after I start the car and drive. Its like the car hesitates over the
10 second period. Its fine afterwards. Its just a minor annoyance
because it does it every time I head out.

As for the jumpyness in the mornings, it hasn't happened lately. But
I think it has to do with my pressure plate. Seems some days I may
ride my clutch more than others and it seems like my gears slip when
starting off.... ill have the clutch fully out, but its still like I'm
riding the clutch. Once again this hasnt happened lately, ive been
more aware of my shifting and clutch movements.

As for the 10 second hesitation, I think it is my control valve next
to my gas tank, ive done a google search for the CODE and the cases
ive read seem to match.

Your input is greatly appreciated though, I love this group.
Thanks.

98 Civic Stumble, Hesitation when cold (only lasting 10-15 seconds)... help appreciated! 85miles Honda 7 September 23rd 07 01:44 PM
The 50 most worstest cars.............(0-60 in 32 seconds!) Ken[_9_] Corvette 11 September 12th 07 07:33 PM
Corvette Z06 - 0 to 200 mph in 48 seconds Spud Corvette 8 July 31st 07 08:41 AM
10 Seconds Z’RiX Corvette 9 November 8th 05 02:28 PM
TURN $15,000 INTO $6 IN 30 SECONDS James Goforth Dodge 3 October 27th 05 11:04 PM