166 2.5 Questions

Old June 17th 07, 10:39 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Tony Rickard

Default 166 2.5 Questions

Catman wrote:

> Heh. The 156 second hand market seems to be really poor ATM

Tell me about it, my 03 V6 156 is up for the same price as a similar
aged 1.4 Fiesta now

If you want to take advantage of me, the car is for sale he

http://www.baldrick.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/156/156.htm

Cheers
Tony
Old June 17th 07, 11:50 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 06:59:04 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

>The 156 second hand market seems to be really poor ATM

In what respect? Rubbish cars at too high a price if you're buying or,
good cars at too low a price if you're selling?

I've always mentally prepared for the secondhand market price of my
car to be very painful. One good reason for keeping it for 6 years is
that my average depreciation is now well under 3000UKP per year even
assuming I give the car away free to somebody. In fact, IMHO, my car
is close to being cheap to run really.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old June 17th 07, 12:07 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 09:39:12 GMT, Tony Rickard
> wrote:

>Catman wrote:
>
>> Heh. The 156 second hand market seems to be really poor ATM

>Tell me about it, my 03 V6 156 is up for the same price as a similar
>aged 1.4 Fiesta now

Except the Fester will be trivial to shift.. :-(

I suspect you'll find this irritating but, I had a look in Parkers and
the only 03 plate price given was for a 2.5 Veloce 1 which was the
same price as yours but with 20,000 fewer miles on the clock. It might
be just me but, I wouldn't even phone to haggle at the price you're
asking - just based on looking in Parkers. I appreciate you may have
good reasons for selecting your price but Joe Bloggs will look at
Parkers and may be similarly put off..even with the optimistic 'ono'.

Old June 17th 07, 12:13 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Zathras > wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 06:59:04 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
> >The 156 second hand market seems to be really poor ATM

> In what respect? Rubbish cars at too high a price if you're buying or,
> good cars at too low a price if you're selling?

From what I've seen, the market is flooded with rough cars with issues
at a variety of prices ranging from 'worth more as parts') to 'How
much!?'

Enthusiast owned cars with no problems are still holding their value.

Unfortunately, Catman's has one or two issues and the silly spoiler,
which instantly knocks 500 quid off it's value ;-)

If I were looking to buy at the moment, I'd do what Catman has done and
buy a 166 - they tend to be not only cheaper than a decent 156, but are
less likely to have fallen into the hands of idiots.
Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
Old June 17th 07, 02:53 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Tony Rickard

Zathras wrote:

> I suspect you'll find this irritating but, I had a look in Parkers and
> the only 03 plate price given was for a 2.5 Veloce 1 which was the
> same price as yours but with 20,000 fewer miles on the clock. It might
> be just me but, I wouldn't even phone to haggle at the price you're
> asking - just based on looking in Parkers. I appreciate you may have
> good reasons for selecting your price but Joe Bloggs will look at
> Parkers and may be similarly put off..even with the optimistic 'ono'.

Well initially I am looking to sell to an Alfa enthusiast rather than
Joe Bloggs. The only other similar car though a year older in my
immediate area is for sales at an independent Alfas sales for £9k, which
seems way too high.

The Alfas I have bought and sold have been at prices way above Parkers
guides because they were good low mileage examples. Parkers guides are
great for mainstream cars like Mondeos because there are tons of them
for sale at any one time. On Autotrader now there are three 03 2.5 V6,
only two of which are Veloces.

The trade still have an extremely low opinion of used Alfas which drives
down trade in prices, so the decent examples don't end up on trade
forecourts, which screws up the price guides IMHO.

We will see, whatever happens it is still a bargain compared with A4s or
3 Series etc., even a Mondeo ST. Unfortunately the wife finds it too
fast and is happy with her 147 otherwise I would keep the 156 and flog
the 147!

Cheers
Tony
Old June 17th 07, 08:39 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 13:53:53 GMT, Tony Rickard
> wrote:

>Well initially I am looking to sell to an Alfa enthusiast

Hmmm..tricky. I've never met one outside of this group and a true
'Alfa enthusiast' may well prefer an older rear wheel drive Alfa.

>We will see, whatever happens it is still a bargain compared with A4s or
>3 Series etc., even a Mondeo ST.

I don't think the price difference between the Germans and the Alfa is
entirely justified but it's caused by market demand. These market
forces (which vary over the country) place an average value on a
product and if it's priced cheaper than the market value, it's a
bargain. Otherwise it's not..IYSWIM.

>Unfortunately the wife finds it too
>fast and is happy with her 147 otherwise I would keep the 156 and flog
>the 147!

Trade in the wife and keep the Alfas? ;-)

Old June 17th 07, 08:55 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Zathras > wrote:

> >If I were looking to buy at the moment, I'd do what Catman has done and
> >buy a 166 - they tend to be not only cheaper than a decent 156, but are
> >less likely to have fallen into the hands of idiots.

> This group is rapidly descending into an 'Old Farts' club. Hang on
> while I hand out flat caps and pipes! If only Alfa had done the diesel
> in the UK..I might have joined in!! ;-)

Yup - that was a big mistake from Alfa UK. A 166 2.4JTD would have found
quite a few buyers in the fleet market, IMHO.
Old June 17th 07, 09:49 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Tony Rickard wrote:
> Catman wrote:
>
>> Heh. The 156 second hand market seems to be really poor ATM

> Tell me about it, my 03 V6 156 is up for the same price as a similar
> aged 1.4 Fiesta now
>
> If you want to take advantage of me, the car is for sale he
>
> http://www.baldrick.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/156/156.htm

I would, but that's out of my price range right now

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2 166 V6 2.5
Suzuki Bandit 600
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old June 17th 07, 09:50 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 06:59:04 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>> The 156 second hand market seems to be really poor ATM

> In what respect? Rubbish cars at too high a price if you're buying or,
> good cars at too low a price if you're selling?

From what I can see it's full of overpriced rubbish.

99 GT Questions Brian C Ford Mustang 2 April 25th 06 03:42 AM
questions? thehawk93 Saturn 3 December 2nd 05 11:51 AM
Anyone asking anyone questions? Alan Bernardo Simulators 8 May 2nd 05 11:27 PM
NSR - A few questions... Larry Simulators 25 March 6th 05 10:07 PM
Oil Questions Scubabix Corvette 28 November 30th 04 10:12 PM