Wheel shutter, Could it be bushings? CV Joint? Need help!

Old June 28th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
85miles

Default Wheel shutter, Could it be bushings? CV Joint? Need help!

Hey
I have this problem with wheel shutter in my 92 accord. I just
recently replaced the left outer TIE ROD, but this didnt seem to solve
anything. I still get alot of shake especially at highway speeds, but
its funny because it comes and goes; sometimes my steering wheel will
shake, other times Ill just hear it in my wheel rubbing and shaking,
and even sometimes its normal.

It seems like a bushing to me, or maybe my cv joint or ball joint?

Another thing to add is when i turn my steering wheel, the left front
wheel squeeks.

Old June 28th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

My 91 Civic with almost 197k miles has a bad shimmy (felt
quite noticeably at the steering wheel) at 55 mph on up.
It's worsened in the last year or so. Wheel balancing has
been checked. I watch the tire pressures closely. I rebuilt
much of the suspension last year but did not touch the ball
joints, other than to check for play.

I am figuring it's either (1) need four new tires and the
first ever alignment (I have been putting it off... ); or
(2) an engine mount.

I will watch this thread closely.

"85miles" > wrote

Old July 6th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
85miles

On Jun 28, 2:17 pm, "Elle" > wrote:
> My 91 Civic with almost 197k miles has a bad shimmy (felt
> quite noticeably at the steering wheel) at 55 mph on up.
> It's worsened in the last year or so. Wheel balancing has
> been checked. I watch the tire pressures closely. I rebuilt
> much of the suspension last year but did not touch the ball
> joints, other than to check for play.
>
> I am figuring it's either (1) need four new tires and the
> first ever alignment (I have been putting it off... ); or
> (2) an engine mount.
>
> I will watch this thread closely.
>
> "85miles" > wrote
>
> > Hey
> > I have this problem with wheel shutter in my 92 accord. I
> > just
> > recently replaced the left outer TIE ROD, but this didnt
> > seem to solve
> > anything. I still get alot of shake especially at highway
> > speeds, but
> > its funny because it comes and goes; sometimes my steering
> > wheel will
> > shake, other times Ill just hear it in my wheel rubbing
> > and shaking,
> > and even sometimes its normal.

> > It seems like a bushing to me, or maybe my cv joint or
> > ball joint?

> > Another thing to add is when i turn my steering wheel, the
> > left front
> > wheel squeeks.

Hey
I got my car checked out by a mechanic, he told me my caliper is
sticking, causing my rotor to heat up, warp, which causes the wheel
shake.
He said it was either a collapsed brake hose or the caliper itself has
to be replaced.

Just wanted to let you know that this isn't caused by a suspension
issue.

Old July 6th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

85miles wrote:
> On Jun 28, 2:17 pm, "Elle" > wrote:
>> My 91 Civic with almost 197k miles has a bad shimmy (felt
>> quite noticeably at the steering wheel) at 55 mph on up.
>> It's worsened in the last year or so. Wheel balancing has
>> been checked. I watch the tire pressures closely. I rebuilt
>> much of the suspension last year but did not touch the ball
>> joints, other than to check for play.
>>
>> I am figuring it's either (1) need four new tires and the
>> first ever alignment (I have been putting it off... ); or
>> (2) an engine mount.
>>
>> I will watch this thread closely.
>>
>> "85miles" > wrote
>>
>>> Hey
>>> I have this problem with wheel shutter in my 92 accord. I
>>> just
>>> recently replaced the left outer TIE ROD, but this didnt
>>> seem to solve
>>> anything. I still get alot of shake especially at highway
>>> speeds, but
>>> its funny because it comes and goes; sometimes my steering
>>> wheel will
>>> shake, other times Ill just hear it in my wheel rubbing
>>> and shaking,
>>> and even sometimes its normal.
>>> It seems like a bushing to me, or maybe my cv joint or
>>> ball joint?
>>> Another thing to add is when i turn my steering wheel, the
>>> left front
>>> wheel squeeks.

> Hey
> I got my car checked out by a mechanic, he told me my caliper is
> sticking, causing my rotor to heat up, warp, which causes the wheel
> shake.
> He said it was either a collapsed brake hose or the caliper itself has
> to be replaced.
>
> Just wanted to let you know that this isn't caused by a suspension
> issue.

find a competent mechanic. that clown doesn't know what they're talking
about. seriously. if they can't do basic brake diagnosis, they're
endangering your life.
Old July 9th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"85miles" > wrote
> Hey
> I got my car checked out by a mechanic, he told me my
> caliper is
> sticking, causing my rotor to heat up, warp, which causes
> the wheel
> shake.
> He said it was either a collapsed brake hose or the
> caliper itself has
> to be replaced.
>
> Just wanted to let you know that this isn't caused by a
> suspension
> issue.

Thanks. I'd be interested in whether the repair you or your
mechanic makes fixes the problem.

Old July 17th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
85miles

On Jul 9, 7:18 pm, "Elle" > wrote:
> "85miles" > wrote
>
> > Hey
> > I got my car checked out by a mechanic, he told me my
> > caliper is
> > sticking, causing my rotor to heat up, warp, which causes
> > the wheel
> > shake.
> > He said it was either a collapsed brake hose or the
> > caliper itself has
> > to be replaced.

> > Just wanted to let you know that this isn't caused by a
> > suspension
> > issue.

> Thanks. I'd be interested in whether the repair you or your
> mechanic makes fixes the problem.

All it was, was a clamp on the brake hose was too tight, squeezing the
hose together and not allowing the fluid to return.
this is the clamp that connects to the front shock, just there to keep
the hose out of the way of moving parts.

I took the clamp off all together and put a tie there.

Old July 17th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

85miles wrote:
> On Jul 9, 7:18 pm, "Elle" > wrote:
>> "85miles" > wrote
>>
>>> Hey
>>> I got my car checked out by a mechanic, he told me my
>>> caliper is
>>> sticking, causing my rotor to heat up, warp, which causes
>>> the wheel
>>> shake.
>>> He said it was either a collapsed brake hose or the
>>> caliper itself has
>>> to be replaced.
>>> Just wanted to let you know that this isn't caused by a
>>> suspension
>>> issue.

>> Thanks. I'd be interested in whether the repair you or your
>> mechanic makes fixes the problem.

> All it was, was a clamp on the brake hose was too tight, squeezing the
> hose together and not allowing the fluid to return.
> this is the clamp that connects to the front shock, just there to keep
> the hose out of the way of moving parts.
>
> I took the clamp off all together and put a tie there.

what exactly did you have in there? are you using honda shocks or some
aftermarket stuff? i've seen aftermarket with incorrect mounting tabs
so the hose sits wrong.

whatever the deal:

1. the mounting assembly does not "clamp" the hose. it collars it and
if you're using honda parts, there's nothing to strangle or kink or
obstruct the hose in any way if it's fitted correctly. the collars are
fitted at the factory so i don't see how you can easily "take the clamp
off altogether".

2. the correct honda mounting assembly holds the hose so that it does
not rub as the suspension travels. hence nothing wears our causing loss
of brake pressure/loss of fluid. it might not happen right away, but
using ties /will/ allow rub and consequently hose wear. THIS IS
POTENTIALLY FATAL.

you need to get the right parts, fit them according to the factory hose
routing, and keep it that way. if you don't care about your own safety,
do it so you don't injure someone else.

and buy the factory service manual from helminc.com. if you're going to
work on this vehicle yourself, you need the correct guide. read it and
follow instruction.

03 tribute transfer case shutter Jetson Mazda 0 October 14th 06 05:07 AM
1995 A6 2.8 - Low Speed Shutter asphaltking99 Audi 1 January 9th 06 06:19 PM
OT?: mechanic leaves ball joint bolt lose, & non-crimped wheel nut Dugie Driving 2 September 13th 05 05:34 AM
94 Sundance shutter AY Metz Chrysler 1 April 5th 05 02:52 PM
Ion Bushings [email protected] Saturn 1 January 26th 05 09:20 PM