S-10 towing and tow lites wiring??

Old January 26th 04, 05:33 PM
Steve

OK, I think I'm beginning to understand what you mean about nuetral..

I never realized that putting the T-case in nuetral would also disengage the
rear drive train from the 5 spd gear case.

In fact I don't think I have ever had the T-case in nuetral (except in
shifting between Hi and Lo range.)

I have read and reread the owner manual and the Chiltons manual and neither
address this highway towing. However I see these Lite Trucks behind many
motor homes.

BTW Something comes to mind here.. I have always been told that you
shouldn't tow an automatic transmission vehicle.. However, if the transfer
case is in nuetral then the transmission would not be turning while under
tow.. Right??? Hmmmm?

Steve

Old January 27th 04, 12:55 PM
David Ward

:
[...]
I'd ask your question over at alt.rv - lotsa 'toad' folk over there.
I won't pretend to be a transmission mechanic - but this is
what I've learned about your question:

As far as xfer case/trans in neutral - while moving, as long as the
drive shaft is connected, at least half of the trans gears are turning.
On some transmissions, that half (gears and bearings) is above
the oil level and will ultimately overheat - that particular manual
trans lubrication depends on the engine turning over the gears
that are physically in the oil to transfer to the gears/bearings
that are not.
Others are designed to where everything gets splashed somehow,
all the time.
Unless you've had the trans apart and actually looked at the oiling
arrangement, or have the factory say-so, you'd best find someone
who has the exact same vehicle and has really towed it for a long
distance - everything else is hearsay and may easily cost you
a transmission - or worse:
I remember a story some years ago where a fellers toad tranny
overheated, melted, caught fire, sent burning oily bits across
the road, started a forest fire. Last I heard, he had lost his
court case, where the state had successfully sued him for fire
department, forestry, police, highway repair costs, and
National Forest damage to the tune of several million dollars.

Same thing happened to another couple who failed to notice
their toads' flat tire and started a humongous forest fire -
that one made Trailer Life magazine.

Gotta be careful out there.

Dave