GTR and 64 Bit Processors

Old August 26th 05, 09:04 PM
Phillip Malphrus Jr

Default GTR and 64 Bit Processors

Would GTR see a perfomance benefit at all with an Athlon 64 and Windows
XP 64 Bit Edition?

Thanks,
Phillip

Old August 26th 05, 09:12 PM
Phillip Malphrus Jr

Actually I should have also followed with "over an existing Athlon 64
with Windows XP Pro SP2(non-64 bit)?"

Old August 26th 05, 09:39 PM
Phillip Malphrus Jr

And another thing, would it even run on Windows XP 64 Bit Edition?

Old August 27th 05, 01:08 AM
Steve Simpson

> And another thing, would it even run on Windows XP 64 Bit Edition?

No and no.

GTR doesn't use a xp64 Starforce driver.
Old August 27th 05, 05:19 AM
Dave Henrie

"Steve Simpson" > wrote in
news
>> And another thing, would it even run on Windows XP 64 Bit Edition?

> No and no.
>
> GTR doesn't use a xp64 Starforce driver.

After getting a fairly substantial cpu and video card, the next best
thing you can do for GTR is memory. At least 1 meg. 2 megs doesn't boost
everthing quite as much as the step up to 1meg, but it decreases loading
times substantially.
After adding more memory, locking down your swap file will smooth things
out some as well.

dave henrie
Old August 27th 05, 09:15 AM
Tim Epstein

GTR is a 32 bit, single threaded application. As such, there would be no
performance advantage running it on Windows XP, 64 bit edition. However, it
will run fine on this platform, and there would not be any practical
performance disadvantage running it under Windows XP, 64 bit edition.

This assumes that the 64 bit video drivers for your video card are mature
and perform as well as the 32 bit drivers.

See the following article for a comparison of 32 bit and 64 bit platforms:
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050823/index.html

For all practical purposes, 64 bit computing will only be advantageous for
server platforms requiring more than 4GB of addressable space in the short
to the medium term. Unlike the switch from 16 bit 32 bit computing, there is
very little performance advantage in running in native 64 bit mode.

Regards,
Tim

oups.com...

Old August 27th 05, 09:56 AM
Andi Cole

Wow, a whole 2Meg of memory, and there was old Bill Gates saying no one
would ever need more than 640K ;-) I'd better go check how much memory I
have!

Hang on a minute what decade was this written in.

--
Andi.

Remove only one zero to reply

. 97.136...