63 roadster alternator question

Old February 5th 06, 03:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default 63 roadster alternator question

I have a 63 250hp/327(no A/C or power anything). I have the alt. that was
on the car when I bought it (it appears to have the numbers on housing as
110796.. 61a.. 12v-).I believe this to be a 37amp alt. Do I risk any damage
to my electrical system by replacing it with a 41 amp. alternator? My car
has the stock 40 amp gauge currently. Thanx- lib

Old February 7th 06, 07:14 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

In article > ,
"lib" > wrote:

> I have a 63 250hp/327(no A/C or power anything). I have the alt. that was
> on the car when I bought it (it appears to have the numbers on housing as
> 110796.. 61a.. 12v-).I believe this to be a 37amp alt. Do I risk any damage
> to my electrical system by replacing it with a 41 amp. alternator? My car
> has the stock 40 amp gauge currently. Thanx- lib

> Correction: I believe the housing number is #1100796. It is difficult to
> read- lib

It would appear to me the "61a" is telling you it's 61 amps. I can't
find the #1100796 in my parts book, so can't tell you the application of
that one.

NCRS indicates the '63 base unit should be a 37 amp, #1100628. Looking
up a replacement alternator (GM referred to it as a generator) in my '79
dealer parts book, I see they were calling for the following:

'63-'68 Generator
#1846935
42 AMP
(EXC. A.C)

With the following notation: "Replaces 37 amp generator"

This rebuilt unit and a brand new 42 amp unit are the only listings
given for a '63 replacement.

To recap, it appears you're using a 61 amp alternator in place of the
original 37 amp unit which was subsequently dropped by Chevrolet with a
42 amp alternator specified as the direct replacement. Long explanation
short - I'd say the 41 or 42 amp replacement you bolt on would do just
fine.

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen
___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is
original posting --
___

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
-- Ann Hayman Zwinger
Old February 8th 06, 01:10 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

no problem, the current rating is the max the alternator can put out at
rated speed, as long as its for a 12v system you don't have to worry. the
built in regulator and condition of your battery control how much current
flows, you will just have a bit more of reserve current than before --- in
this case more is better. Putting in an alternator with a lower rated
current
than the oem will cause problems and lots of blown alternators.

Dr

Old February 8th 06, 02:18 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Thanx for the info. After doing a bit more research it appears that the
current alternator is for a 1968 Chevelle or Camaro and was rated at 61 amp.
I was surprised as when I bought the car in 1975 it had about 65K mi. and I
assumed the alternator would last longer than that. I rebuilt the alt. at
about 75K myself . As I don't plan on installing any monster sound system or
A/C, it appears that a 41 amp. should do the job. I have already purchased
the correct regulator and a new battery so I should be good to go. Thanx
again- lib