rFactor tracks

Old October 20th 05, 03:11 PM

Default rFactor tracks

Anyone tried out the new tracks? I downloaded Suzuka last night and
ran a few laps. It looks pretty good. The web site I found also had
Hungaroring and one other. A race at Imola was showing up on Racecast.
Is that track available yet?

Pat

Old October 21st 05, 05:03 AM
Byron Forbes

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Anyone tried out the new tracks? I downloaded Suzuka last night and
> ran a few laps. It looks pretty good. The web site I found also had
> Hungaroring and one other. A race at Imola was showing up on Racecast.
> Is that track available yet?
>
> Pat

Imola is available but has an invisible object just past the pit exit on
the other side of the track. These things are all unknown quantities.

Old October 21st 05, 06:07 AM
Dave Henrie

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in

>> Pat
>>

> Imola is available but has an invisible object just past the pit
> exit on
> the other side of the track. These things are all unknown quantities.

And Imola was converted without asking the permission of the guys who
upgraded it for F1c.
I tend to avoid work that is questionable. I have the track dloaded,
but I doubt I will ever unzip it.

dave henrie
Old October 22nd 05, 03:04 AM
ymenard

>"Dave Henrie" > wrote
> And Imola was converted without asking the permission of the guys who
> upgraded it for F1c.

Who cares, anyway the guy that modeled the track is in the illegality, he
made the track without the permission or the licensing of the track owners.

That's the thing, people who whine about their work being "stolen" or
"worked into another version", yet they are illegal to start with (3d models
of cars without the approval of the manufacturers, paintschemes that have
all logos unlicensed, etc..).

So I say install that thing and enjoy the track.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old October 22nd 05, 06:14 AM
Byron Forbes

"ymenard" > wrote in message
> >"Dave Henrie" > wrote
>> And Imola was converted without asking the permission of the guys who
>> upgraded it for F1c.

> Who cares, anyway the guy that modeled the track is in the illegality, he
> made the track without the permission or the licensing of the track
> owners.
>

> That's the thing, people who whine about their work being "stolen" or
> "worked into another version", yet they are illegal to start with (3d
> models of cars without the approval of the manufacturers, paintschemes
> that have all logos unlicensed, etc..).
>
> So I say install that thing and enjoy the track.

Well, I agree 100% about track "ownership". Why should they care - more
fame for them anyway. So long as they're given credit and it's done right, I
see no drama. I hate nay sayers!

As for the rest, there is no licensing issue at all. No money made - no
license issue. Simple as that.

Old October 22nd 05, 01:10 PM
Dave Henrie

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in

..au:

> Well, I agree 100% about track "ownership". Why should they care -
> more
> fame for them anyway. So long as they're given credit and it's done
> right, I see no drama. I hate nay sayers!
>
> As for the rest, there is no licensing issue at all. No money made
> - no
> license issue. Simple as that.

That is the point. It is a courtesy issue. There was no credit given,
there was no permission asked. They didn't say they used the RH04 Imola as
a base, they just said..'here's our version of the track.'
It wasn't 'done right.' What is going to happen, as it has countless times
in the past, is that some very talented folks will go away. And we all
will suffer in the end.
Guys are converting RSDG cars without permission or credit. Guys are
converting tracks willy nilly. I'll pass.

dave henrie

Old October 22nd 05, 11:39 PM
Byron Forbes

"Dave Henrie" > wrote in message
. 97.136...
> "Byron Forbes" > wrote in
>
> .au:
>

>> Well, I agree 100% about track "ownership". Why should they care -
>> more
>> fame for them anyway. So long as they're given credit and it's done
>> right, I see no drama. I hate nay sayers!
>>
>> As for the rest, there is no licensing issue at all. No money made
>> - no
>> license issue. Simple as that.
>>

> That is the point. It is a courtesy issue. There was no credit given,
> there was no permission asked. They didn't say they used the RH04 Imola
> as
> a base, they just said..'here's our version of the track.'
> It wasn't 'done right.' What is going to happen, as it has countless
> times
> in the past, is that some very talented folks will go away. And we all
> will suffer in the end.
> Guys are converting RSDG cars without permission or credit. Guys are
> converting tracks willy nilly. I'll pass.
>
> dave henrie

Yes, there is no doubt that a lack of respect and proper manners and
procedure are skipped in many of these cases. On the other hand, many of the
creators go MIA or no one know how or where to contact them so what then?

I would think that if the creator sees someone upgrading/converting his
work then he should simply insist that a readme gives him due credit and
also obviously the opportunity to be a part of the process if he so wishes.

Old October 23rd 05, 05:44 AM
ymenard

>"Dave Henrie" > wrote
> That is the point. It is a courtesy issue.

Courtesy takes a ditch to start with when at the start all they are doing is
illegal. Talented people or not, I'm sorry but if you take the risk to do
such thing, you assume all consequences.

It's like a thief asking somebody for a permission to steal from him.

Old October 23rd 05, 10:11 AM
Byron Forbes

"ymenard" > wrote in message
> >"Dave Henrie" > wrote
>> That is the point. It is a courtesy issue.

> Courtesy takes a ditch to start with when at the start all they are doing
> is illegal. Talented people or not, I'm sorry but if you take the risk to
> do such thing, you assume all consequences.
>

> It's like a thief asking somebody for a permission to steal from him.

Though I think this idea is extreme, i think there is merit in the idea
that once something is made public it belongs to the sim community - and
legally that is certainly the case. It is obviously poor form to take
someone else's work, upgrade/convert it and give no credit to the creator.
The creator should probably be consulted to see whether he intends to do
anything with it anyway to prevent wasted work if nothing else.

My personal view is that if you ask a track creator if they mind you
upgrading/converting and they say no for no reason, you simply ignore them
and go ahead anyway. In this case I'd say don't bother giving them any
credit either.

What might be good in future also is a website for the good and bad of
the modding community. Have a "Nay Sayers to be ignored" category and a "I
put up my hand to do it but never did or took an eternity" category also.

Old October 23rd 05, 10:51 AM
Steve Whitty