Ethanol was a "Mistake" says Al Gore

Old November 24th 10, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default Ethanol was a "Mistake" says Al Gore

ATHENS, Greece -- Former Vice President Al Gore reportedly has had a
change of heart on ethanol, telling a conference on green energy in
Europe that he supported tax breaks for the alternative fuel to pander
to farmers in his home state of Tennessee and the first-in-the-nation
caucuses state of Iowa.

Speaking at a green energy business conference in Athens sponsored by
Marfin Popular Bank, Gore said the lobbyists have wrongly kept alive the
program he once touted.

"It is not a good policy to have these massive subsidies for
first-generation ethanol," Reuters quoted Gore saying of the policy that
is about to come up for congressional review. "First-generation ethanol
I think was a mistake. The energy conversion ratios are at best very small.

"One of the reasons I made that mistake is that I paid particular
attention to the farmers in my home state of Tennessee, and I had a
certain fondness for the farmers in the state of Iowa because I was
about to run for president," the wire service reported Gore saying.

Ethanol is made by extracting sugar from corn, an energy-intensive
process. The ethanol industry will consume about 41 percent of the corn
crop this year, or 15 percent of the global corn crop, according to
Goldman Sachs analysts.

A food-versus-fuel debate erupted in 2008, as a result of record food
prices, in which the biofuel industry was criticized for helping stoke
food prices.

Gore supported so-called second generation technologies which do not
compete with food, for example cellulosic technologies which use
chemicals or enzymes to extract sugar from fiber for example in wood,
waste or grass
Old November 24th 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Steve W." > wrote in message

> ATHENS, Greece -- Former Vice President Al Gore reportedly has had a
> change of heart on ethanol, telling a conference on green energy in
> Europe that he supported tax breaks for the alternative fuel to pander
> to farmers in his home state of Tennessee and the first-in-the-nation
> caucuses state of Iowa.

Well, he has apparently become a little more honest than a lot of the
politicians.

This project was simply pimping for the farmers and large companies
involved in this business.

It is a bit misleading to say that the technology to make alcohol involves
extracting sugar from corn or wood or grass...Misleading but not
totally incorrect. Cellulose and starch can be broken down to
sugars and those can easily be fermented. You can take cellulose
from a pine tree and hydrolyze it to sugars which can then be fermented.

But this is just semantics.

Below the double line, this was a double "pork" project.

Alcohol can be a great fuel for engines set up for it. But this was
pokum hokum from the beginning.

Old November 24th 10, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Nov 24, 3:35*pm, "hls" > wrote:
> "Steve W." > wrote in message

> > ATHENS, Greece -- Former Vice President Al Gore reportedly has had a
> > change of heart on ethanol, telling a conference on green energy in
> > Europe that he supported tax breaks for the alternative fuel to pander
> > to farmers in his home state of Tennessee and the first-in-the-nation
> > caucuses state of Iowa.

> Well, he has apparently become a little more honest than a lot of the
> politicians.
>
> This project was simply pimping for the farmers and large companies
> involved in this business.
>
> It is a bit misleading to say that the technology to make alcohol involves
> extracting sugar from corn *or wood or grass...Misleading but not
> totally incorrect. * Cellulose and starch can be broken down to
> sugars and those can easily be fermented. *You can take cellulose
> from a pine tree and hydrolyze it to sugars which can then be fermented.
>
> But this is just semantics.
>
> Below the double line, this was a double "pork" project.
>
> Alcohol can be a great fuel for engines set up for it. *But this was
> pokum hokum from the beginning.

I think the key phrase is this: "The energy conversion ratios are at
best very small." That right there is why ethanol subsidies are bad
policy. If that were NOT the case, then they would make sense.

nate
Old November 24th 10, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2010-11-24, hls > wrote:

> "Steve W." > wrote in message
>>
>> ATHENS, Greece -- Former Vice President Al Gore reportedly has had a
>> change of heart on ethanol, telling a conference on green energy in
>> Europe that he supported tax breaks for the alternative fuel to pander
>> to farmers in his home state of Tennessee and the first-in-the-nation
>> caucuses state of Iowa.

> Well, he has apparently become a little more honest than a lot of the
> politicians.

No he's not. he's in for himself and there is no reason for him not to
throw the corn farmers under the bus now. He likely wants to start
looking more reasonable to protect his potentional billions in profits
from the carbon credits fraud.

Old November 24th 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

N8N > wrote in
:

> On Nov 24, 3:35*pm, "hls" > wrote:

>> Alcohol can be a great fuel for engines set up for it. *But this was
>> pokum hokum from the beginning.

> I think the key phrase is this: "The energy conversion ratios are at
> best very small." That right there is why ethanol subsidies are bad
> policy. If that were NOT the case, then they would make sense.

If that were NOT the case, you wouldn't need subsidies in the first place;
we'd have been burning ethanol since the '20s.

--
Tegger
Old November 25th 10, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Brent" > wrote in message
> On 2010-11-24, hls > wrote:
>>> Well, he has apparently become a little more honest than a lot of the

>> politicians.

> No he's not. he's in for himself and there is no reason for him not to
> throw the corn farmers under the bus now. He likely wants to start
> looking more reasonable to protect his potentional billions in profits
> from the carbon credits fraud.

Could be. I have no idea about that.. At least he admitted he was a whore.
That's more than most of these whores will admit.

Old November 25th 10, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Owl Gourdhead IS a Mistake.
cuhulin

Old November 26th 10, 07:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:59:02 +0000, Brent wrote:

> On 2010-11-24, hls > wrote:
>>
>> "Steve W." > wrote in message
>>>
>>> ATHENS, Greece -- Former Vice President Al Gore reportedly has had a
>>> change of heart on ethanol, telling a conference on green energy in
>>> Europe that he supported tax breaks for the alternative fuel to pander
>>> to farmers in his home state of Tennessee and the first-in-the-nation
>>> caucuses state of Iowa.

>> Well, he has apparently become a little more honest than a lot of the
>> politicians.

> No he's not. he's in for himself and there is no reason for him not to
> throw the corn farmers under the bus now. He likely wants to start looking
> more reasonable to protect his potentional billions in profits from the
> carbon credits fraud.

Check who the biggest investor in the Chicago Carbon Exchange is...er, was...

Old November 26th 10, 07:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

Old November 26th 10, 07:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]