Love my 2000 Accord, don't love the rust

Old September 10th 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Pete from Boston

Default Love my 2000 Accord, don't love the rust

I'm really happy with my '00 Accord Coupe so far, but I just found a
nasty little spot of rust in a place I've never seen rust, on the
front pillar of the driver's side door, under the weatherstripping. I
guess there was an undetected leak in there for a long time before I
got it. Anyone experienced this? Is it common? I guess I'm going to
have to pull off the stripping and really clean it out in there.

Old September 10th 07, 11:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger

Pete from Boston > wrote in
ups.com:

> I'm really happy with my '00 Accord Coupe so far, but I just found a
> nasty little spot of rust in a place I've never seen rust, on the
> front pillar of the driver's side door, under the weatherstripping. I
> guess there was an undetected leak in there for a long time before I
> got it. Anyone experienced this? Is it common? I guess I'm going to
> have to pull off the stripping and really clean it out in there.

You sure will.

If your setup is anything like my Integra's, you'll have lots of rust
starting under the stainless that holds the rubber on.

Use a Dremel with a drum sanding attachmenmt or a flap wheel. Do NOT use a
wire brush. Wire brushes simply polish the rust while not actually removing
it. Convert any remaining rust with a gel-type phosphoric acid-based
converter. Clean off well with Prep-Sol or other body prep solvent.

Prime with high-build /ZINC/ primer, then cover with standard touchup
paint. The primer and paint are best brushed on, not sprayed. Check ALL the
screw points carefully, as they can ALL rust.

The sooner you get these, the better your chance of success.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old September 10th 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
michelo

"Pete from Boston" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm really happy with my '00 Accord Coupe so far, but I just found a
> nasty little spot of rust in a place I've never seen rust, on the
> front pillar of the driver's side door, under the weatherstripping. I
> guess there was an undetected leak in there for a long time before I
> got it. Anyone experienced this? Is it common? I guess I'm going to
> have to pull off the stripping and really clean it out in there.

I have the same on my '00 Accord Sedan.

Michel

Old September 11th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Pete from Boston wrote:

> I'm really happy with my '00 Accord Coupe so far, but I just found a
> nasty little spot of rust in a place I've never seen rust, on the
> front pillar of the driver's side door, under the weatherstripping. I
> guess there was an undetected leak in there for a long time before I
> got it. Anyone experienced this? Is it common? I guess I'm going to
> have to pull off the stripping and really clean it out in there.

There is no way to prevent rust up there. That's one of the reasons I
left years ago...

JT

(From Austin, TX)

Do you love your car? FrankW[_2_] BMW 9 May 21st 07 03:06 AM
I Love This! necromancer[_1_] Driving 0 December 22nd 06 03:14 AM
I Love This! [email protected] Driving 3 December 22nd 06 01:57 AM
I Love This! Eeyore Driving 0 December 21st 06 04:10 AM
I'am single and want a true love for life, hope to meet someone serious about love [email protected] Technology 2 June 8th 06 10:42 PM