Care to guess what the fine is for no proof of insurance?

Old November 27th 05, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Care to guess what the fine is for no proof of insurance?

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:08:28 -0500, "FanJet" >
> wrote:
>
>> Look, bright star: the cops run the plates before they even think
>> about the stop and tickets. They already have an idea of who they're
>> dealing with. The plates come up clean? Ask the operator whether or
>> not they're insured. End of story.

> Look, sunshine, the law requires drivers to carry proof of insurance
> with them in their cars. End of story.

Already pointed out in the thread. I was clarifying the fact that this is
just another "roadside tax", wasting officer time that should be more
usefully applied.

Old November 30th 05, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article .com>,
Mike > wrote:
>I read this thread after googling. The failure to show proof of
>insurance has once again reached a new low.
>
>Arlington, Texas will start towing your car if you not immediately show
>you card. If you later show up in court with the card, you still have
>to pay at least the towing charge. You might also have to walk home.

Despite the fact that the State knows damn well you have insurance,
naturally.

>This is not what was promised when this kind of law was first dreamed
>up.

It makes money for tow operators, and it makes idiots happy to see
crackdowns on "those nasty uninsured drivers who make my rates go
up".

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old November 30th 05, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >,
Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:

>How ****ing hard is it to put the stupid little cards into your car?
>I've been doing it for over 15 years and have never forgetten even
>once. When the letter arrives from my insurance company, I immediately
>walk out to the garage, open the glovebox, and place the card inside.

You're not only perfect, your insurance company is perfect
too. I've gotten my cards late before (despite having paid the
premium on time). Would suck to have my car towed as a result.

Anyway, the difficulty of the task isn't relevant. What is relevant
is whether forgetting should be punishable with a tow job and a walk
home.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old December 1st 05, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:08:28 -0500, "FanJet" >
> wrote:
>
> >Look, bright star: the cops run the plates before they even think about the
> >stop and tickets. They already have an idea of who they're dealing with.The
> >plates come up clean? Ask the operator whether or not they're insured. End
> >of story.

> Look, sunshine, the law requires drivers to carry proof of insurance
> with them in their cars. End of story.

Which could easily be accomplished with actually carrying a proof of
insurance with you. Once you prove who you are, there's nothing
stopping all the databases from being linked (they probably ARE anyway)
to tell the cop whether or not you're up to date with your insurance.

Old December 1st 05, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Larry Bud wrote:
> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:08:28 -0500, "FanJet" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Look, bright star: the cops run the plates before they even think about the
> > >stop and tickets. They already have an idea of who they're dealing with. The
> > >plates come up clean? Ask the operator whether or not they're insured.End
> > >of story.

> > Look, sunshine, the law requires drivers to carry proof of insurance
> > with them in their cars. End of story.

> Which could easily be accomplished with actually carrying a proof of
> insurance with you. Once you prove who you are, there's nothing
> stopping all the databases from being linked (they probably ARE anyway)
> to tell the cop whether or not you're up to date with your insurance.

That would put the burden on the police and insurance industry. (They
would have to buy the computers, set up the database linkages, etc.,
etc.) The law clearly puts the burden of proof on the driver. End of
Story.