Failure to maintain one lane

Old November 20th 05, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Failure to maintain one lane

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:05:04 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>"Lynda" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>>I was recently in an accident and I was given a ticket with the label
>> "failure to maintain one lane."
>>
>> Is anyone clear on what the rules and regulations are for this kind of
>> ticket?
>>
>> After my airbag blows up in my face I can no longer hold on to the
>> wheel forcing my car to stay in one lane. How can I be ticketed for
>> such an action?
>>
>> You may see pictures and a drawn out map of the accident he
>> http://tigerlou.myphotoalbum.com
>>
>> Any opinions or suggestions on why I received this ticket when someone
>> else crossed through three lanes of traffic illegally?

>Ok. For starters, the VERY, VERY last thing you should be doing is
>soliciting advice from a newsgroup. You have one person telling you to call
>the court and ask them to discuss it. They won't/can't do that. Even I
>don't have enough information from you to give you an opinion from an
>investigator, yet you have the next guy telling you that the other car is in
>the wrong and your ticket came from your age... which he does not know
>either. Then, someone is predicting the speed of the other vehicle just
>based off of the photos you provided. That is not possible, and cars are
>made with crumple zones, etc. That does not appear to be a high speed
>collision to me.
>
>So, your best bet is to contact a lawyer and get real legal advice. I can't
>tell from your drawing, but it looks like your car is the one drawn in red?

Try scrolling down so you can read the description underneath the pictorial,
where it says, "My car is the blue one."

DPH

Old November 20th 05, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Dave Head" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:05:04 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>

>>"Lynda" > wrote in message
groups.com...
>>>I was recently in an accident and I was given a ticket with the label
>>> "failure to maintain one lane."
>>>
>>> Is anyone clear on what the rules and regulations are for this kind of
>>> ticket?
>>>
>>> After my airbag blows up in my face I can no longer hold on to the
>>> wheel forcing my car to stay in one lane. How can I be ticketed for
>>> such an action?
>>>
>>> You may see pictures and a drawn out map of the accident he
>>> http://tigerlou.myphotoalbum.com
>>>
>>> Any opinions or suggestions on why I received this ticket when someone
>>> else crossed through three lanes of traffic illegally?

>>Ok. For starters, the VERY, VERY last thing you should be doing is
>>soliciting advice from a newsgroup. You have one person telling you to
>>call
>>the court and ask them to discuss it. They won't/can't do that. Even I
>>don't have enough information from you to give you an opinion from an
>>investigator, yet you have the next guy telling you that the other car is
>>in
>>the wrong and your ticket came from your age... which he does not know
>>either. Then, someone is predicting the speed of the other vehicle just
>>based off of the photos you provided. That is not possible, and cars are
>>made with crumple zones, etc. That does not appear to be a high speed
>>collision to me.
>>
>>So, your best bet is to contact a lawyer and get real legal advice. I
>>can't
>>tell from your drawing, but it looks like your car is the one drawn in
>>red?

> Try scrolling down so you can read the description underneath the
> pictorial,
> where it says, "My car is the blue one."

Ohh, I see now. She had 900 pictures of the other car that I assumed to be
hers.

It doesn't make much sense to me then. I wish we had a copy of the accident
report to see how this all came about.

--
---
jaybird

Old November 20th 05, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

jaybird wrote:
> "Dave Head" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:05:04 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
> >

> >>"Lynda" > wrote in message
> groups.com...

> >>Ok. For starters, the VERY, VERY last thing you should be doing is
> >>soliciting advice from a newsgroup. You have one person telling you to
> >>call
> >>the court and ask them to discuss it. They won't/can't do that. Even I
> >>don't have enough information from you to give you an opinion from an
> >>investigator, yet you have the next guy telling you that the other car is
> >>in
> >>the wrong and your ticket came from your age... which he does not know
> >>either. Then, someone is predicting the speed of the other vehicle just
> >>based off of the photos you provided. That is not possible, and cars are
> >>made with crumple zones, etc. That does not appear to be a high speed
> >>collision to me.
> >>
> >>So, your best bet is to contact a lawyer and get real legal advice. I
> >>can't
> >>tell from your drawing, but it looks like your car is the one drawn in
> >>red?

> > Try scrolling down so you can read the description underneath the
> > pictorial,
> > where it says, "My car is the blue one."

> Ohh, I see now. She had 900 pictures of the other car that I assumed to be
> hers.
>
> It doesn't make much sense to me then. I wish we had a copy of the accident
> report to see how this all came about.
>
> --
> ---
> jaybird
> ---
> I am not the cause of your problems.
> My actions are the result of your actions.
> Your life is not my fault.

My assumption is that the other driver claimed she jumped into the
third lane to bypass traffic, and being a family man he was assumed to
be right.

Personally, when my truck was rear-ended the woman who hit me was a
senior citizen so she couldn't have been at fault. Even with the back
of my truck crushed, and her admission that she drove into me to police
and two tow truck drivers that I'd be clear. Oh, and she was passing
on the right, 20 mph over the speed limit by her own admission. Yet
somehow, I was still at fault because my vehicle had a problem and I
was trying to get to the right shoulder when she drove into me without
breaking... She hired a lawyer though, and I thought I couldn't afford
it over something so obvious. Oops.

Lynda, get a lawyer, cause otherwise you'll probably get screwed. It
may help to have a copy of the accident report the first time you meet
the lawyer, so he knows exactly what he's getting into.

Dave

Old November 20th 05, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 22:18:29 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>"Dave Head" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:05:04 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>>

>>>"Lynda" > wrote in message
egroups.com...

>>>Ok. For starters, the VERY, VERY last thing you should be doing is
>>>soliciting advice from a newsgroup. You have one person telling you to
>>>call
>>>the court and ask them to discuss it. They won't/can't do that. Even I
>>>don't have enough information from you to give you an opinion from an
>>>investigator, yet you have the next guy telling you that the other car is
>>>in
>>>the wrong and your ticket came from your age... which he does not know
>>>either. Then, someone is predicting the speed of the other vehicle just
>>>based off of the photos you provided. That is not possible, and cars are
>>>made with crumple zones, etc. That does not appear to be a high speed
>>>collision to me.
>>>
>>>So, your best bet is to contact a lawyer and get real legal advice. I
>>>can't
>>>tell from your drawing, but it looks like your car is the one drawn in
>>>red?

>> Try scrolling down so you can read the description underneath the
>> pictorial,
>> where it says, "My car is the blue one."

>Ohh, I see now. She had 900 pictures of the other car that I assumed to be
>hers.

I wasn't looking at pictures of the car, only of the diagram she drew where the
drawing of the car in the rightmost lane of the diagram is drawn in blue.

>It doesn't make much sense to me then. I wish we had a copy of the accident
>report to see how this all came about.

It makes no sense why she got a ticket, for sure. She's driving next to the
curb, and someone comes thru a hole in 2 lanes of stopped traffic to get nailed
by her because she couldn't stop to let the guy who should have yielded get out
of the way.

I still think she got the ticket because she's relatively young, although not a
teen, and maybe 'cuz she's female, and assumed by the (probably male) cop to be
incompetent behind the wheel.

DPH
Old November 21st 05, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

jaybird wrote:

> Ok. For starters, the VERY, VERY last thing you should be doing is
> soliciting advice from a newsgroup. You have one person telling you to call
> the court and ask them to discuss it. They won't/can't do that. Even I
> don't have enough information from you to give you an opinion from an
> investigator, yet you have the next guy telling you that the other car is in
> the wrong and your ticket came from your age... which he does not know
> either. Then, someone is predicting the speed of the other vehicle just
> based off of the photos you provided. That is not possible, and cars are
> made with crumple zones, etc. That does not appear to be a high speed
> collision to me.
>
> So, your best bet is to contact a lawyer and get real legal advice. I can't
> tell from your drawing, but it looks like your car is the one drawn in red?
> I'm assuming so since it looks like a right rear quarter panel impact from
> the 3 direction which pushed you into a yellow post. Cops write tickets for
> actions prior to the collision, not after it happens, so it was something
> you did prior to being hit. If I had to guess, based on the limited
> information, it appears that the lane you failed to maintain was the center
> one that you were turning from since oncoming traffic has the right of way
> when a vehicle is making a turn. Again, just an assumption because we don't
> have much to work with.
>
> Contact an attorney and blow off most of what you read in this place. It'll
> get you steered in the wrong direction if you don't.
>
> --
> ---
> jaybird
> ---
> I am not the cause of your problems.
> My actions are the result of your actions.
> Your life is not my fault.

I understand what you are saying. I am fully reading what everyone is
saying however, I do understand that I am the only person that was
there. The main reason I posted was to get a somewhat unbiased opinion
from people who weren't involved. My MIL is a lawyer and trust me I've
spent over six hours in the last three days talking this over with her,
getting her opinion and advice.

I just posted to see what other civilians' opinions would be.

Also, I think someone pointed this out and I understand why you were
confused, my car was the blue one in the right hand lane with the
right-of-way.

I "hide" most of my car's pictures because the license plate was
clearly visible and I did not want people to have that information.

I do appreciate your point of view and your advice and trust me I am
not taking anything I hear online personally or to heart. I just wanted
to see what they had to say.

Thank you,
Lynda

Old November 21st 05, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dave,

Your assumption is very close to accurate. Both the other driver and I
have State Farm insurance. After I called the claims office Friday
night I recieved a call from a different person from state farm,

"The other party claims that you rear-ended them. Do you agree?"
"No."
"Then would you like to dispute the claim?"
"Yes."

Then he asked me if I had rental coverage I said yes and then that was
the end of the phone conversation. Mind you this was two hours after
the wreck so I was still a mess and didn't even think about asking what
the report said. By the time I had my head on straight the claims
office was already closed for the weekend.

Also Dave, I think it's funny how you bring up the age difference.
Right after I stumbled out of my car, in the middle of the three lanes,
this SUV drove up to me and the woman yelled out her window, "are you
okay?" I said, "yes" and she proceeded to tell me that she would be a
witness.

After a while (after I recieved the ticket) she came over and I told
her that the cop just said I caused the wreck and I showed her the
ticket. Her eyes grew huge and she yelled "that's ridiculous! it's
probably because you're two young girls in a brand new car!"

At the time I didn't think anything of it because I am extremely
unbiased when it comes to age, gender, race etc. Then I called my
parents, showed them the situation and the first thing out of my
father's mouth was "was the cop a man?" I answered yes, and he said
"was the husband driving in the other car?" I answered yes again, and
he chuckled and he said you two girls are an easy target!

Anyway, I know that this really is irrevelant but I do think it is
interesting. I also know that it really doesn't matter or help my case
any and it's all hearsay, but it's interesting. Two young, white
females in a brand new car versus a black, four person family with an
older lease car --- disupted by a fifty year old white cop.

Even my MIL (the attorney) brought that up when I talked to her. First
thing out of her lips "were they black and was it a family?"

lol okay I'm done. Once again, thanks for commenting. And it's sad to
hear about what happened with your own accident. Did you end up having
to fork out the money on your own or did your insurance cover it and
raise your rates?

- Lynda

Old November 21st 05, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Lynda" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I was recently in an accident and I was given a ticket with the label
> "failure to maintain one lane."
>
> Is anyone clear on what the rules and regulations are for this kind of
> ticket?

Lynda - You are asking the wrong question. You shouldn't be worried about
the rules and regulations related to a charge that you are not guilty of,
and was clearly pulled out of the ASS of the traffic cop who wrote you up.
This accident was caused by a failure to yield the right of way. You were
KNOCKED OUT OF YOUR LANE by the vehicle that failed to yield the right of
way to you. You were through traffic, so you had the right of way. Explain
it to the judge exactly like that, and then simply request that the charge
(represented by the ticket handed to you) be dismissed. If the judge isn't
totally corrupt (unfortunately, that's a good possibility), the charge
against you will be dismissed. If the charge is not dismissed, appeal.
Eventually, you will find a reasonable judge. -Dave

Old November 21st 05, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Thank you for actually answering the question.

"through traffic" "right of way". I gotcha, the main thing I was
looking for I guess was to just try to see the officer's side of the
story. But I have to keep reminding myself that he wasn't there so no
matter what, his vision is going to be skewed by a biased.

Thanks!
-Lynda

Old November 21st 05, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On 19 Nov 2005 18:51:46 -0800, "Lynda" > wrote:

>I was recently in an accident and I was given a ticket with the label
>"failure to maintain one lane."

>After my airbag blows up in my face I can no longer hold on to the
>wheel forcing my car to stay in one lane. How can I be ticketed for
>such an action?

If your airbag deploys in your face and you run over a little kid,
does that mean shouldn't be charged with manslaughter?

>You may see pictures and a drawn out map of the accident he
>http://tigerlou.myphotoalbum.com

The old cliche is that a picture is worth a thousand words. However,
in this case, I think I'd rather have the words as I can't make heads
or tails of the picture.

Your kitten is darn cute, however.

>Any opinions or suggestions on why I received this ticket when someone
>else crossed through three lanes of traffic illegally?

If your car left the lane, then the cop was within his rights to
ticket you. What really matters is whether or not you are convicted of
the offense.

Old November 21st 05, 06:26 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Lynda wrote:
> But I have to keep reminding myself that he wasn't there so no
> matter what, his vision is going to be skewed by a biased.

-----

And I think we all know how painful that can be....
-----

- gpsman